Horse Supplements

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Horse Supplements

Postby LKR » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:14 am

Is there a horse supplement that has just about the same things as Horse Gard that tastes and smells better than it???
I got some on special price offer and that stuff STINKS!! So far, everyone is really turning their noses up at it. I have been using Natural Balance 12:12 mineral supplement and everyone will eat that EXCEPT the stallions. For them I have to give Northwest Supplement, it is ALL they will ingest. I liked all the ingredients in Horse Gard but if it isn't palatable I might as well use it for plant food. (Don't know if that would work or not) :cry: I want to beef up the vitamins and minerals for the mares in foal and those that are going to be bred.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

walaa
Starters Handicap

supplements

Postby walaa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 am

If it isnt in a pellet form, none of my horses will eat it :D I have the natural 12;12 stuff as well, they all HATE it, but they will eat the mineral blocks pretty well, so I just use those. I also have Omega shine supplement, they wont eat that either, I need to find a horse rescue close by to drop them both off at :D I dont know how they can leave a mineral supplement the size of pinheads in their buckets, but they do, Im done using supplements except for SmartBreathe, I get my hay tested for all the necessities, buy good food, and sometimes use amplify on the ones with yucky skin, they do REALLY like that. Although thats not a vitamin one , but the only supplement of any kind they will eat :D :!:

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:48 pm

I have never had a problem getting my horses to eat their Horse Guard. May you had a bad batch. Been feeding it for years and its always been fresh.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:40 pm

ireneinwa, it doesn't smell spoiled, just terrribly strong, obviously from all the vitamins in it. I am trying to get Basket Weave to eat it by just putting a few in his grain and then increasing the amount gradually. If he doesn't leave them in his grain tub I will proceed until he gets a full dose. He is 29 this year and looks great but is showing a little age now.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Kathie,
He's 29 and just starting to show his age? Excellent! Have you tried talking to the rep? Maybe they'd exchange it? You never know. I'm thinking what was the product that was recalled just last month? human food that had an odor because something happened in the processing and it picked up a strong odor? I forget what it was? Anyway, maybe this batch you got smells different to the stallion and his nose is correct?
I use Platinum Performance btw.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:10 am

What is it about Platinum Performance that you like compared to other supplements? Is it palatable to all your horses?? We have broodmares too that I am trying to find a good supplement for.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 am

I have never found a horse who wouldnt eat PP and I ahvent had one yet to not improve on any of their products.
Fins to the Left....