Regal Native... low end racehorse saved from the kill pen

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Evenheaven
Allowance Winner

Regal Native... low end racehorse saved from the kill pen

Postby Evenheaven » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:43 am

So, I just thought I'd put this out there.... I was at an auction on April 3, 2010 and saw this gelding: Regal Native.... After I paid $60 to buy him out of the kill pen, I brought him home and read his tattoo. If anyone can help me with information.... I looked up his race record and he won over 15K as a 2 and 3 year old. Local racetrack here at Hawthorne. I'm blogging his recovery at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 466&ref=nf if you're interested in watching him. Thanks in advance for any and all info/help!
"Every little girl deserves a horse"
http://www.freewebs.com/evenheaven

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tbird » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am

Someone should start adding "left to die", "slaughtered", or "saved from being killed" on those blurbs that accompany their pedigrees and race records.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm

kudos. I will spread the word.
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:21 pm

This morning I received an email that a mare I sold in 2006 was saved on 4/5/10 from the slaughter sale. In 3 more days she would have been at a Canadian slaughterhouse. She is super underweight, looks horrible. We are picking her up and bringing her home on Sunday. The one thing every horse owner/breeder/seller fears. She is safe now, tho, and will be home soon never to leave again.
Kim S. Leavitt
Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Proudly Standing Airdrie Apache, Bright White and Crusov Fox

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Kudos to you Desert! You are right, it is your worst nightmare come true. Thank you for taking the responsible choice of picking up the horse and taking care of her!
~Dare to Dream~

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm

Glad to hear you saved this guy! The listed owner/breeder had TONS of horses. He quit training his own about 3 years ago and turned the reins over to Scott Mullins (no relation to Jeff, btw). The Orion guy, Jim - something used to retire all his critters on a big family-owned ranch in Nebraska or Kansas, maybe Kansas? I am not sure if he had health problems, or if the family just tightened up the money on him.

By the way, the "Orion Farm" is "Orion" as in Orion Film/Production Company. I am pretty sure they are the movie company who has the Pegasus in their logo?

Desert Oasis Sporthorses
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Desert Oasis Sporthorses » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 am

Foothills: We are just glad that she was saved by a wonderful rescue and that we have the ability to bring her home.

Evenheaven: I am sorry for the cross post. I was pretty upset yesterday and not paying attention. I am glad that you rescued Regal Native and that he will now have a good life.
Kim S. Leavitt

Desert Oasis Sporthorses

Proudly Standing Airdrie Apache, Bright White and Crusov Fox

Evenheaven
Allowance Winner

Postby Evenheaven » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 am

Desert - no problem... I'm not a rescue or have any desire to ever be and I really do understand that sometimes these horses fall through the cracks.. it just bothers me.
Photo ~ thanks for the information! I was just trying to find out what happened. I also paid $260 for a bay mare named Alygrey - from the same "pen." She's a big mare and from the research I found.... she was raced and had 3 foals - I like her size! 16.3 hands and BIG and pretty! I couldn't take the 2 other geldings that went for $25 to pay for their coggins... they were also tattooed and in worse shape than the guy I got.

I've found and will be ordering Regal's race win photo from Arlington Park today - he won at 1 1/16 - not that you guys didn't already look all that up, but he's going to be a riches to rags to riches story - he's screaming eventer!

I've been blogging him on the facebook link and will continue to do so - his birthday is today! He's really 5 now! :)
"Every little girl deserves a horse"

http://www.freewebs.com/evenheaven

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 am

What a handsome boy!! He doesn't know how lucky he is :) Kudos to you.