Another possible glitch when entering?

General discussions about the technical aspects of the site -- generating reports, reading reports, uploading information, forum techniques, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

the Ol'Line Rebel
Maiden Special Weight

Another possible glitch when entering?

Postby the Ol'Line Rebel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi,

I just noticed something, and will get back to you if it's "verified" by happening again with another horse.

I went to enter a horse whose name already exists in the DB. Apparently, 1 of the successive name designations was deleted at some point, leaving a "blank" in the middle of the name list to fill. I noticed some 10 horse names already there. When I went to add a new horse of that same name, he would become #4 (because of that apparent deletion), but here's the weird part.

When I entered the basic info for new horse and "entered" to the next screen, it showed me only 3 horses to ensure aren't the same - instead of 10! Apparently, since the DB meant to fill spot #4 which had been left blank, it thinks at that stage that only 4-1 = 3 spots exist! So it showed only horses 1(unnumbered), 2 and 3, rather than including ALL horses of that name!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Re: Another possible glitch when entering?

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 am

The db automatically assigns any and all new entries to the first available vacant "slot" for that name and yes, the only other entries for that name that will be displayed during the process are those in lower numeric sequence. Since this can and does sometimes result in duplicate entries, it's best to run a basic search on the name as well as progeny reports for sire & dam before making new entries.