Splint on Yearling

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

lindsay_aggie
Yearling

Splint on Yearling

Postby lindsay_aggie » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am

How big of a deal is a high, cold splint on a prospective yearling purchase? If the horse moves sound and the splint is set would this be a deal breaker or effect the price of the yearling? Thanks in advance.
Ahr Farms- Standing at Stud Justice Minister (Deputy Minister x Double the Charm by Nodouble)

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Tue May 04, 2010 9:04 am

It very likely will effect the sales price. Unfortunately a blemish is a blemish old or not and some prospective buyers will steer clear. Do anything you can to shrink the splint so that it is scarcely noticeable at sales time and make sure you take a set of xrays of the splint to go into the repository to show that it isn't problematic.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your youngster has a splint. It will probably will never bother the horse, but it is a killer on a sale yearling. Ask me how I know :cry: We also had Xrays of it to show it wasn't a problem, but basically buyers looked at him, saw the splint, and said "Pass". We ended up breakiing him and putting him into training. The splint never bothered him.

Cathy D
Allowance Winner

Postby Cathy D » Fri May 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your youngster has a splint. It will probably will never bother the horse, but it is a killer on a sale yearling. Ask me how I know :cry: We also had Xrays of it to show it wasn't a problem, but basically buyers looked at him, saw the splint, and said "Pass". We ended up breakiing him and putting him into training. The splint never bothered him.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 pm

I bought a really nice well bred yearling for $1500 because he had a splint. He ran out over $50,000 for me. A year after I bought him, the splint had disappeared.