Ontario Select Sale Nomination

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:30 am

:shock:
Last edited by westover on Fri May 14, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse Radish

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Fri May 14, 2010 8:08 pm

well inspections are over and most people would now know if they are in the Select or Preferred (open) part of the sale. I'm wondering if people felt their horse got in where it belonged?
Horse Radish

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sat May 15, 2010 8:38 am

I am not selling any of mine this year but have friends (commercial breeders) who had the inspectors out and boy they were ALL unhappy this year. I'm told that the sales company recieved so many complaints and requests for reconsiderations after the initial inspection that there was a 4 hour meeting just to review the complaints.

I'd like to think that the inspectors are being more selective and picking only the outstanding individuals for the first day. Suppose I'll find out in September.

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Sun May 16, 2010 3:50 pm

I think they were very tough this year & i believe horses were selected first on pedigree.. by a separate group of professionals. Once they had the horses that were good enough on Pedigree for the Select then they were inspected by John Donaldson & Ryan Mahan.

I thought this was a great way to do it. But I do think it was much tougher this year to qualify. They can't win really (the CTHS) as if they are more leniant people think they let too much crap in & this year they were much tougher & now people are pissed that they didn't get in lol :shock:
Horse Radish

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Sun May 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't have a problem with the inspectors being tough as long as they were fair. I believe they were too forgiving in the past and it showed on sale night.

Glad I am looking into the fish bowl from the outside this year.

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Sun May 16, 2010 5:04 pm

There are a lot of really upset people this year! Was told that at one farm , the inspectors pulled up to the barn, got out and said "Who's this stallion? Never heard of him!"

I'm betting that there will be a lot of American studs in the Select Sale, with the Canadian studs having been relegated to the Prefered Sale.

The CTHS should really consider Ascot's suggestion of last year , and just run two back-to-back days of sales, with no distinction, and let the buyer determine which horses deserve the big bucks!

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Mon May 17, 2010 9:07 pm

I always know if our yearlings are good enough to be in the select. We've had year's i knew they weren't getting in, or one would get in and not the other, and I knew where they belonged before anyone arrived to inspect them. I felt last year I had a really nice horse but not a popular sire. The year before i knew the 2 we had didn't belong in the select. So I'm not sure how people don't know whether they truly have a select horse or not.. I tend to be particularly hard on our own horses, i feel you have to be to be objective and if you can't be your in the wrong business. We have a Trajectory Colt in the Select Sale out of a mare who is an Ontario bred. I think there is always a good mix. The American sires are in general, a stronger product than what we have here to breed too. People who send mares to the U.S. to be bred have to have a strong mare on paper & physically to try to recoup their money in the sale as the cost of going to the U.S. is steep. If I have a so/so mare, I am not going to send her to the U.S. to be bred. So it would only seem sensible to me that there would be a fair number of U.S. sires in the Select, because you are usually dealing with better quality mares.

General Meeting coming up, so if someone wanted to voice an opinion there's is a great opportunity.
Horse Radish

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 am

westover wrote: If I have a so/so mare, I am not going to send her to the U.S. to be bred. So it would only seem sensible to me that there would be a fair number of U.S. sires in the Select, because you are usually dealing with better quality mares.

General Meeting coming up, so if someone wanted to voice an opinion there's is a great opportunity.

That makes perfect sense to me :)

Maureen wrote: The CTHS should really consider Ascot's suggestion of last year , and just run two back-to-back days of sales, with no distinction, and let the buyer determine which horses deserve the big bucks!

I've been giving this some thought and I don't think this is a bad idea. However, wouldn't the biggest problem be stalls? There aren't enough. I think the reason for having the sales dates so spaced out is to allow the first group of sales horses to ship-out and the second group to ship-in.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

Yup you are correct Ms. Moody, as it is they uproot the race horses to move them to use those stalls for the Sale horses.. it would be pretty impossible.. and there are still some decent horses that will bring the money they should in the Preferred.

People have too breed much better now, as there are so many cheap horses and for what it costs to breed, raise, register etc.. it isn't worth breeding a below average mare.. not to mention the probability of being competitive on the track is slim.. especially with the horse flesh that has filtered in to Woodbine to run..
Horse Radish

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

OK so....

Postby Gallop58 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:26 pm

OK, so it looks like they have the CTHS yearlings up on their site and the catalogues are coming in...
Please post all these preferred horses that should really have made it to the select and all these select horses who should be in preferred and if you're so inclined, please post the name or ped of all these horses that aren't entered into the sale because the breeder's think they're being screwed by the CTHS...
I would really like to investigate all these supposed shenanigans that get everyone's knickers in a knot.
The one day sale is a pipe dream unless you can practically address the horse stabling issue. Where are all these stalls supposed to materialize from?
Sorry, I guess I'm in a bad mood tonight and have a short fuse with all the stone throwers... :wink:

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 am

Gallop58 - I have my sales catalogue!!! Yippee :D I'm almost halfway through it. It will be interesting to see if anyone takes you up on your suggestion to post the hip #'s of horses that did not get in the select.

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Gallop58 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 pm

I doubt anyone will, and I can't say I'd blame them. Life's too short to get a bunch of internet know it all's nitpicking your business. Still, it would be fun! :D
I've always found the process fair and straightforward, so I'm intrigued by the conspiracy theorists...

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:14 am

I just got my sales catalog and have only just started to look through it. My first question would be why hip #35 is in the select portion, even if it's outstandingly beautiful there is no black type under either the first or second dam... and the colt is by Vibank. Looks like a candidate for the back half of the book to me.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Ooh good one Jane :D It could very well be an outstandingly beautiful colt though in fairness as I know the second dam is but I still agree with you. I had so much fun doodling on the blank spaces for hip# 271 :lol:

Terrapin Flyer
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Terrapin Flyer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:00 pm

It would be impossible to say which horses in the second session should be in the first without looking at conformation even though plenty have much better peds than in the select.

The following pedigrees have no business in a selected session. 6,19,20,35,38,61,94,154,175,191,212

The following yearlings would have to look outstanding to make the cut. 1,2,3,5,7,25,32,49,80,91,136,139,140,147,188,195,200

There were about another 20 that would get an automatic x through their page if I was going to the sale, but could have made the session with a very high conf score.