Stephen Got Even colt/gelding?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Stephen Got Even colt/gelding?

Postby Laurierace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:45 pm

I have never sold any of my foals before but there is a decent chance I may have to sell my Stephen Got Even colt at some point in the future. He is not quite five months old yet and already starting to act studdish. Normally its a no brainer as I cut everything but since there is a possibility I may have to sell at some point I am not so sure. I don't even want to delve into the female family because for the most part there aren't going to be many of his get standing at stud regardless of their family or accomplishments. I mean how many people will rush to breed to First Dude?
So my question is will I significantly alter my potential future sales price if I cut him? Significant meaning 10k or more difference from colt to gelding and yes I do realize that either way he may not bring 10k total depending on lots of factors outside my control. Any thoughts?

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Re: Stephen Got Even colt/gelding?

Postby Hold Your Peace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Laurierace wrote:I have never sold any of my foals before but there is a decent chance I may have to sell my Stephen Got Even colt at some point in the future. He is not quite five months old yet and already starting to act studdish. Normally its a no brainer as I cut everything but since there is a possibility I may have to sell at some point I am not so sure. I don't even want to delve into the female family because for the most part there aren't going to be many of his get standing at stud regardless of their family or accomplishments. I mean how many people will rush to breed to First Dude?
So my question is will I significantly alter my potential future sales price if I cut him? Significant meaning 10k or more difference from colt to gelding and yes I do realize that either way he may not bring 10k total depending on lots of factors outside my control. Any thoughts?

At weanling and yearling sales you do take a big hit if they're gelded. Even though most of these weanlings and yearlings in the sales wouldn't have much stud vallue even if they became graded stakes winners (which is a longshot in and of itself), and even though you're really saving the buyer the time and trouble of already doing something they're liable to end up doing themselves, buyers aren't always rational and they do penalize weanlings and yearlings who've already been cut.

So if you think you might sell him, I wouldn't cut him.

I wouldn't name him either, as even though it might be a good name buyers seem to greatly prefer them unnamed (even though they could change the name if they wanted).

So even though it's not always rational, buyers want to be the ones who make the decision to cut or not and the ones naming them.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Ditto what HYP said. When I attend a yearling or 2yo sale I automatically skip looking at the geldings. Even if I am in the 10% minority, and if my logic for skipping them is flawed, do you want that 10% not to even look?

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 pm

He was named at three days old so its too late for that. Thank you for your opinions. Hopefully his siblings will start performing so I don't have to sell any of them. If that happens the nuts are going on the roof!