Barrett's. Hear any buzz?

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

Barrett's. Hear any buzz?

Postby tbrace » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Anything in particular look good at Barrett's Fall Yearlings?

No inspection for this sale, which is good. Inspectors (I know first hand) used to buy all the good horses.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:15 pm

What do you mean no inspection? I'll be attending. This will be my first yearling sale.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

sales

Postby tbrace » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Valley,

It is customary for yearlings to be inspected prior to being let into a sale.

When this sale was the Del Mar sale, for instance, you would nominate a yearling, and if it was cleared by pedigree, then an inspector from the sales company would come to your farm and pass or fail the horse.

Unfortunately, some inspectors would buy the best horses, and they would never get to the sale. The sale companies knew of this practice and turned their heads.

This is one of the reasons Barretts and California sales in general are in such trouble. They were not always run ethically.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Okay, I was aware of some sort of inspection...I didn't know they eliminated it for this yearling sale. Can you tell me...are the horses catalogued into Day 1 or 2 based on pedigrees or are they radomly selected?

I'll be attending with a girlfriend of mine..In hopes she'll help me pick out a tribal rule baby. I don't know if it would be best for me to attend day 1 or day 2. I'm on a budget that suggests I should attend day 2, but I'm not sure how they are catalogued.

Thanks!

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm

News to me because I have a horse in the sale and that horse was inspected and graded.

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Too funny.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Barrett's. Hear any buzz?

Postby docjocoy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:53 am

tbrace wrote:No inspection for this sale, which is good. Inspectors (I know first hand) used to buy all the good horses.

The inspectors came to the farm where I board my horses, so I'm not sure what you are referring to, unless perhaps they did not look at all the Wygod yearlings and just included them in the dispersal.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 am

vallygirl927 wrote:Okay, I was aware of some sort of inspection...I didn't know they eliminated it for this yearling sale. Can you tell me...are the horses catalogued into Day 1 or 2 based on pedigrees or are they radomly selected?

I'll be attending with a girlfriend of mine..In hopes she'll help me pick out a tribal rule baby. I don't know if it would be best for me to attend day 1 or day 2. I'm on a budget that suggests I should attend day 2, but I'm not sure how they are catalogued.

Thanks!

The yearlings are catalogued alphabetically according to their dam's name, and they rotate the letter of the alphabet each year. They have 2 sessions this year because of the Wygod dispersal. The first group of yearlings (101-178) will sell in the evening on Tues after the Wygod breeding stock, and the rest the next day, because they couldn't squash all of the yearlings into one session. But there is no "selectness" to the order of the yearlings. If you go to view the yearlings the weekend before, you may be able to pick out your favorites according to the day they sell, since you have so many Tribal Rules to choose from. He is easily the most prolific sire in the sale.
Good luck and good hunting! I hope you get a good one.

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:17 am

I didn't know I could go the weekend before! Cool! Will anyone be there?

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm

vallygirl927 wrote:I didn't know I could go the weekend before! Cool! Will anyone be there?

The Sat and Sunday before the sale is when many of the prospective buyers check out the horses. Get there early-ish, by 9am. By late afternoon most of the consignors will have closed up shop. If you go Sat or Sun and pick out your favorites, then the day you decide to go to the sale you can give them another look.

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

e

Postby tbrace » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 pm

To clarify: I was referring to the Wygod dispersal. Dispersals are not inspected, usually, as they are defined by the farm itself. This will be to your advantage in my opinion.

Good luck on your search for a Tribal Rule. He is a nice sire.

Checkmate
Suckling

Checkmate consignment

Postby Checkmate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm

I have 2 very special Tribal Rule yearlings in the sale. Hip #155 is a colt out of Arca De Oro. I sold his full sister last year in this sale for $35k. Hip #313 is a colt out of Foxy Faith. I have some pics on my web site and I hope to have pics of the rest of my consignment up soon. And yes, they were inspected in order to get into the sale. I was told that the session following the dispersal would be considered a "select" of the select. I have 2 selling in the select and 3 selling the following day. I have scoped and x-rayed all my yearlings for the sale. Please email me if you have any questions. Thanks
http://www.checkmatetbreds.com/Sales.html

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 am

I spent the day at Barretts yesterday and I have no idea who the buzz horses are but that sports bar OTB they have now is really nice. :wink:

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Re: Checkmate consignment

Postby docjocoy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:31 am

Checkmate wrote:I have 2 very special Tribal Rule yearlings in the sale. Hip #155 is a colt out of Arca De Oro. I sold his full sister last year in this sale for $35k. Hip #313 is a colt out of Foxy Faith. I have some pics on my web site and I hope to have pics of the rest of my consignment up soon. And yes, they were inspected in order to get into the sale. I was told that the session following the dispersal would be considered a "select" of the select. I have 2 selling in the select and 3 selling the following day. I have scoped and x-rayed all my yearlings for the sale. Please email me if you have any questions. Thanks
http://www.checkmatetbreds.com/Sales.html

Didn't see this earlier, sorry. I remember your Tribal Rule yearling from last year, she was very nice and you got a nice price. The nice Tribal Rules have held up very well price-wise in spite of so many of them being in the sale every year, so I hope yours do well again for you this year.
But you were mislead if you were actually told that the evening yearling session following the Wygod dispersal was going to be the select of the select. It's alphabetical, by dam, starting with "L" going through to "Z" and then getting back to "A" in the middle of the Wed session. A big alphabetical loop.
I hope you and everyone else does well.
We need some buzz in CA and maybe the dispersal will helpe generate that, and consignors in this sale may benefit from the Wygods bringing in the buyers. I hope so.