The White Fox

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Tap The Mint
Yearling

The White Fox

Postby Tap The Mint » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:04 pm

It's so very sad and I am still so upset about it. I feel like he was one of my own for some reason. He was just awesome when I met him. He played and ran up and down the fenceline following me like a happy puppy as we laughed and encouraged him. He then came out with the handler and stood perfectly for photos while we admired him. I absolutely loved him and was hoping to see him when we were in Lexington last week for the WEG. I even asked a local horseman about him and he knew nothing of his death and thought he was fine and that we should have scheduled a visit so I know there is no way that the news was told of his death until Barbara Livingston confirmed it yesterday. I'm so grateful to have a lovely colt by him and hope to breed him later on and possibly have a white foal of our own someday. Is there any way to know if our colt can possibly throw 'white' even though he himself is grey/sabino?

reedhill
Grade III Winner

Postby reedhill » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 pm

Was hs dam a grey?
How much white does he show?

Tap The Mint
Yearling

The White Fox

Postby Tap The Mint » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 pm

His dam is a bay sabino with blaze and four whites and a huge belly spot along with some spots along her girth area so no she isn't a grey. The grey had to come through from The White Fox whose dam is a daughter of Hatchet Man (Grey) so I'm assuming that TWF's dam who is white is carrying the grey gene and passed it on to him and he didn't show it due to being white.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm

As to whether or not he can pass on the white, it depends how much he has. If he's DW you will get a non gray DW about 25% of the time.

I still would really like to see photos of this boy. I have never seen any evidence there is gray in this line and would like to lay eyes on proof.

You can test for both gray and I believe his form of DW as well.

Tap The Mint
Yearling

The White Fox

Postby Tap The Mint » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:47 pm

The colt mentioned previously in this thread named Patchen Fox I looked up at Equine Line and he is registered as a grey/roan 2008 colt by The White Fox x Royal Ring Dancer (dk bay mare) so apparently The White Fox sired another grey in 2008. Our colt is greying out fast and is now a light strawberry roan color. He does have a patch of white hair on his shoulder that was just a faded white spot when he was born.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Puchilingui was registered as roan... so I don't trust papers.

Tap The Mint
Yearling

The White Fox

Postby Tap The Mint » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Good point! I agree with you. The Jockey Club is sometimes a little difficult on registering color. I have a jet black colt right now that they want to register as a dk b/brn. He's black and I've been sending in pictures for months on him. I want him registered black which he is!

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:02 pm

:(

I always loved TWF, but now it makes me feel the need to track down what's going on with Prince.

StayOutFront
Maiden Special Weight

Postby StayOutFront » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Helen,

When you mention "Prince," do you mean Patchen Prince? If so, he's at Patchen Wilkes Farm. They hoped to interest a central KY riding center in him but, so far, that hasn't come through. The farm manager realizes Patchen Prince would have to be trained to be bombproof to be a riding horse.

Sure seems he'd be a great draw, though! I'd love to ride a white horse.

Patchen Wilkes Farm didn't hide The White Fox's passing, but they (like many, many farms) don't send out press releases every time something happens. Farms like Lane's End and Three Chimneys have staff that help with press information and such.

When I called, they were very forthcoming and helpful with information, and it's obvious they really loved him. They might not have thought all that many people would care, as he didn't breed any TB mares this year.

Tap the Mint, I envy you your White Fox baby, white or not! Is yours the Double Mint Dawn foal? (just guessing due to the "Mint" in the dam's name)

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Re: The White Fox

Postby KBEquine » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:13 am

Tap The Mint wrote:Good point! I agree with you. The Jockey Club is sometimes a little difficult on registering color. I have a jet black colt right now that they want to register as a dk b/brn. He's black and I've been sending in pictures for months on him. I want him registered black which he is!

You'll probably have to do it via DNA testing, not pictures. Canadian Kid, who is clearly palomino, is registered as chestnut.

For those who wish you bred to The White Fox but didn't
, remember he's left a couple white sons, two of whom are owned by someone who stands stallions & would really love to put together a partnership to race & breed them. She also breeds some sporthorses and has an eye for conformation (and chose the dam's of these white boys accordingly). And yes, I've been thinking about buying in to one or both, if/when I have the money.

And I'm sure some of the people who got other white colts will try to stand them, as well.

Banachek, the yearling, was stabled right outside the walking ring at Timonium during the Fasig-Tipton sale. He had all sorts of people showing up to take his picture - or to get their picture taken with him. And he was loving every minute of it.

When a camera came out, he'd stop whatever he was doing to pose. (I'm pretty sure now that he's back at the farm, he's wondering where all his fans have gone). Anyhow, I enjoyed reading the memories of the people who have met The White Fox. Sounds like Banchek came by his personality honestly!

Banachek:
http://www.xanthus-farm.com/xanthus_far ... 29&hh=1293

The 2010 model out of a blacktype mare (I don't think he is named, yet):
http://www.xanthus-farm.com/xanthus_far ... 11&frop=10

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Tap The Mint wrote:It's so very sad and I am still so upset about it. I feel like he was one of my own for some reason. He was just awesome when I met him. He played and ran up and down the fenceline following me like a happy puppy as we laughed and encouraged him. He then came out with the handler and stood perfectly for photos while we admired him. I absolutely loved him and was hoping to see him when we were in Lexington last week for the WEG. I even asked a local horseman about him and he knew nothing of his death and thought he was fine and that we should have scheduled a visit so I know there is no way that the news was told of his death until Barbara Livingston confirmed it yesterday. I'm so grateful to have a lovely colt by him and hope to breed him later on and possibly have a white foal of our own someday. Is there any way to know if our colt can possibly throw 'white' even though he himself is grey/sabino?

Can you post some pictures?
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Banachek is classic hunter bred, just gorgeous.

Prince has a soft spot in my heart, I'll have to call the farm and see what's going on with him.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 pm

I had no idea he had passed either

RIP ... he was a classy and lovely stallion and Barbara did a wonderful and fitting tribute to him as well
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

Sunday Silence

Postby Sunday Silence » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 am

[quote="Tap The Mint"]Good point! I agree with you. The Jockey Club is sometimes a little difficult on registering color. I have a jet black colt right now that they want to register as a dk b/brn. He's black and I've been sending in pictures for months on him. I want him registered black which he is![/quote]

Don't give up! And can you post pics of him please? Alot of us love blacks.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Hey everyone,

Sad, sad indeed. Why these things happen....

Anyway, I want to let you all know that TWF has another beautiful stud colt, born in June, I believe. The dam is a gorgeous bay, no special color or anything, and our good friend who saved her life (the idiot owner was going to put her down because she hurt her leg RACING FOR HIM, she could not race anymore, so my 'friend' saved her) and she rewarded him with a PURE, pure white, not a single other color hair on this fella, and is he ever gorgeous!

No names yet, but if I can figure out how to get this computer to work right I'll post some photos! He is healthy, muscular, and loves to play and jump hay bales and race around his mom.

My friend was baby watching, his mare did not seem like she was going to foal, so he went to run some errands for a bit, then when he comes back and went into the mare barn, he thought some baby white deer had gotten in there as he was so shocked! The little white fella was already running up and down the middle section of the barn. He was very well behaved after getting him back in the stall with mom, and started nursing very well.

So, to all you whitie fans out there, there is yet another mystery pure white stud colt just born in early June, and he is a cutie. Personally, I would not want to mess with all the sunblock and everything because we have gone through dozens of fly masks by our foals so far in the past few years. They think they are put on just to have fun taking them off! :D LOL And then when they get theirs off, they start on their mom's masks, blankets, you name it, so if I had this pure white fella, I'd feel like I would have to keep him indoors or sprayed down, etc. all the time for fear of sunburn, etc.

I'll take a Palomino.... anyone know anything about the Cremello stud in Lexington that cannot breed TB mares due to registration papers being taken away? THAT is a shame as he is gorgeous and I understand cremello and chestnut makes the best chance for a Golden TB?? If anyone has info, please let me know. Sad if that is the case.

And whiile we are on the color topic: WHY is it that all or almost all colored TB's automatically go for jumping and showing and not the track? There was one palomino, think his name was Gold Haven that was in training, but never heard any more of him. I don't see where color would have anything to do with not putting them in training for the track, I mean, they get baths after the races.....
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......