40 horses left behind -Ocala- property owner leaves country

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

LittleCurrent
Weanling

Postby LittleCurrent » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:44 am

Though she left before a home was found for each and every horse, from what is known it sounds like she did leave them provided for to the best of her ability, and with a caretaker. That is so much more than can be said for some owners. And I mean owners that haven't left the country and are on site with the horses!

She could have loaded them up and dumped them at an auction, and by now they would be reduced to little pieces. I prefer what she did in light of that option.

Bunty Lawless
Allowance Winner

Postby Bunty Lawless » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 pm

madelyn wrote:Give her a BREAK! She left them with a CARETAKER and with FOOD. These horses were not abandoned. The caretaker evidently need placement assistance - which might have been better served using CANTER or some other adoption group. Calling the Animal Control folks might have not been the best thing...

Just curious if anyone has ever called Canter (anywhere is USA) and told them they needed them to take even one horse, let alone 40?

Getting a rescue to call or email back in this environment is difficult at best. Getting one to take the horses or do anything other than list them on their site, is about impossible. At least it has been in my three different tries.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:45 pm

It is only in certain areas of the country that CANTER is even set up with a physical presence to accept any horses from trainers at the track. They have a good program in Delaware, I think its the Midatlantic chapter, where they can take horses, rehab and get them sound then send them to a trainer to be transitioned into new careers.

Here at MNR Canter does not have this capability.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

KMO_racing
Allowance Winner

Left Behind.

Postby KMO_racing » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 pm

First of all, it was over 40 there were mares, foals race horses, many boarding in several states, training horses with trainers at tracks. Yes, they were in good condition, not abused orr neglected. However, she left a dear friend of mine with the keys to the faciility, 40 bags of feed and hay. My friend was called on a moments notice she asked her to meet her. When she did she handed her keys and said I'm out of here.
My friend and I spoke I called in the help to liquidate the horses, cause my friend was overwelmed with the problem. My friend went everyday and helped in whatever way she could to do what was right by the horses that were left in her care. I thank her from the bottom of my heart for taking on such a huge mess and seeing it through to the end. Yes, they dispersed all the horses to good homes.

I will give the women that left credit for at least calling sombody and leaving the necesities for a short period of time. However, alot people didn't get aid for the services they provided. It's complicated The situation ismuch deeper than just the horses.
Thanks,

Kathy