Herbs for Bleeders

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:43 pm

Does anyone know how it works? (I'll go look it up just the same.)

Oh look! I'm a Maiden Special Weight! :lol:
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:48 pm

Austique and Tucumcari:

This is very exciting news. A manufacturer of one of the supplements I use just told me that this herb has been known to work wonders with humans. He wanted to incorporate it into a new equine product, but said he couldn't buy it in large enough quantities.

Questions:

How did you administer the herb? Dosage and frequency? Food additive? Syringe?

What examples of your results can you offer? How bad were the bleeders and how much did they improve after taking the herb? Did the horses involved create any bad post race tests?

Thanks a million!! I appreciate your help.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:26 pm

More info:

"Yunnan Paiyao"--preferred spelling

Austique, is the brand "Equilite" the one you used? This company is based in PA and offers a nice line of holistic equine products, many of which are for racehorses. Among the testimonials is one from Patricia Generazio, a NY based owner/breeder who has done very well with modest stock.

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:36 pm

The stuff came in a box written in Chinese and was purchased in I guess what you would call Oklahoma City's Chinatown. It was labeled for human use. We used one vial mixed in a 60 cc syringe (with the tip broken off so you don't get in trouble with track security) filled with water. There is a red ball in the vial and it is super important to make sure the horse gets the red ball or pill according to the trainer that suggested it to us. We gave about 2 hours out from post time. Its not super expensive. I think a box contains about twelve vials. I'll bring the box home from the barn tomorrow. We also fed 1/3 cup of red wine with dinner to increase vascular health, but use decent wine. One of my brother's friends was feeding his horses Ripple. Ours preferred the Franzia Mountain Burgandy. Boxes are easier in the barn. I have also heard of giving bad bleeders Coffee Mate, but we never used it.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:38 pm

Thanks, Austique. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Never heard about wine use. I figured all the drinking on the backstretch was done only by the trainers and the help. Now you're telling me the horses are winos too?

A trainer of mine once used copper wire wrapped around the tail at its base to combat bleeding on a horse of mine. Seemed to work fine on some days. Or maybe both of them just had too much to drink.

Check out equilite.com for their Yunnan Paiyao product. Very inexpensive. The method you are describing is more in tune with what I was told by the supplement manufacturer I mentioned earlier.

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:42 pm

Equilite.com was the first hit on Google, so I suppose they get a lot of traffic. The stuff wasn't very expensive, either.

I prefer Bordeaux. :wink:
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Okay first off I got the dose wrong. It is one vial in a 60 cc dose syringe mixed with water of course 4 hours before race time. My brother told me that he had heard that some people were giving their real gushers a dose the night before, the morning of and then 4 hours out, but he says he never tried it and thinks one dose will do yah. The stuff is indeed Yunnan Paiyao and is made by you guessed it Yunnan Paiyao Factory China. It also has "Camellia Brand" written on the box. My brother said a box costs $18 to $20 and a box contains 10 doses. Anybody who wants a photo of the box PM me your e-mail address and I will send you one. Hope that helps!

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:11 pm

I heard that Shepherds Purse is a useful tool , however healthy horses do not bleed.The average US horse is so full of painkillers and so sore that some internal valve has to blow eventually, wake up and smell the herbs. Listen .... if your nose runs and your feet smell you must be upside down.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 pm

Im pretty sure this is the stuff(Yunnan Paiyao) that my buddy used on a horse we claimed last year. Its a chinese powder and you can get it from a vet thats where we got ours.

Claimed a 5K filly and ran her back and won. Ran her back the 2nd time,she finished last and bled like a stuck pig. We used it on her after she bled and she won 3 in a row and never bled. Never a bad test either.

Thats the only thing my buddy we will use on a bleeder and im pretty sure everybody is using it now.

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Also he did use it on the horse the day before the race and 4 hrs before the race. he never told me how far out he used it but he did use it the day before and the day of the race.

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:53 am

I have not heard of wine, but I have known people who give 30-60cc vodka in the pipe before leading them over... helps alot with the nerves... worked for the couple of horses I knew had gotten it. However, I am sure he also got tons of other stuff too as the trainer loves to medicate...

Yes shepherds purse is very useful. I feed it to bleeders every day. Some say an ounce, but I feed more depending upon the severity of the bleeder.

Wilf, I don't entirely agree with you about horses bleeding because they are sore.. I have had some horriffic bleeders that were very sound. I am not saying it isn't a cause, but it is not the only cause. I personally have found a higher strung or nervous horse to be inclined to be bleeders...

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 am

This is interesting.

We don't have that many bleeders per capita over here but ones that bleed twice are automatically banned for life.

Think you have a couple of recent "bleeders" over there - Grandiser and Irgunette.

Should even try that HUNNAN PAIYAO myself. :lol:

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:18 pm

Dang... that's strict... If they did that here, 5 horse fields would be a FULL field... :roll:
I wonder what the difference is... environment, feed, etc. What do you think...

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:07 pm

I wonder of it may be selection against bleeders as I have often hypothesized that bleeding or the predisposition to bleed may have some genetic link. I imagine Flight that if a horse is banned in your country or any other country with strict breeder bans it kind of kills it as a breeding animal, but I may be wrong.

Flight
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Flight » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:48 pm

I haven't yet witnessed your racing live but I suspect that it could have something do with the pace of your races.

Your dirt horses especially seem to have to maintain a high cruising speed throughout a race and hopefully have something in reserve at the end.

Ours are predominantly taught to relax and settle during the run and save the sprint for the home straight. It's not unusual to see a horse run home from last and win going away providing there was sufficient speed up front. There are horses that can maintain a high cruising speed throughout but they are usually expectional beasts eg Sunline, Northerly, Might And Power.

Our horses are only stabled when in training and racing. A week or two in the paddock is not unusual during their campaign if they need a freshen up or have suffered a slight injury. There is also a move to training from properties for those who can afford the land and these trainers do have a very good strike rate.

There are no restrictions on breeding from bleeders but I can't think of any successful stallion that was a bleeder. It mainly happens to geldings who don't need to be kept in cotton wool and the occassional mare. It's very unusual for young horses to bleed.

But really not sure if that is part of the reason. :?