KEE November

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Discovery
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Discovery » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm sorry clh, I missed your colt. Didn't buy anything today, and yes, I noticed the prices were way down. Hopefully it'll be better for your others.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I'd say it couldn't be any worse - but it could :roll:
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:46 am

I guess the cold snap isn't helping. It is going to be an interesting week.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 am

It isn't THAT cold and I've been here when it has been lots colder and the snow was flying. Numbers are down across the board.

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm

I am so sorry your colt did not attract any attention, clh :oops:
Last edited by Tappiano on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 am

Is the refusal of the stallion farms to lower fees an indication that they do not care about their customers or just that they don't want to admit there is a problem in the market?

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am

Tappiano wrote:Is the refusal of the stallion farms to lower fees an indication that they do not care about their customers or just that they don't want to admit there is a problem in the market?

Neither.

Up until 2 years ago they were buying stallion prospects at hugely inflated prices. Now they're being squeezed just as hard as the mare owners are.

(That applies to most of them. The remainder are just greedy. :wink: )

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm

And I guess since there's a sucker born every minute they'll continue to fill up the books...

I'll just wait and see what kind of deal I can make for GiGi next year.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:18 pm

I see that Champali sold at Keeneland the other day for $17,000. And now Glencrest just have Military left. Value Plus and Da Stoops were both "OUTS" - do they also have destinations in Indiana or elsewhere?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

s

Postby tbrace » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:16 pm

stud princes are too high!!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:58 am

They are only as high as people are willing to go and since people are willing to pay those prices, why should the stallion farms drop their fees? Sure, they are high but the books are getting filled. The problem is that the stallions that are priced for small breeders are not stallions that are marketable at the sales. You are much better off having one high quality mare and going to a good stallion if you are in the breed to sale business. Most of the horses we've bred have hit the track and are making money (albiet some more than others), however, buyers are not buying for plain racers - they are buying for the hope of getting a G1 winner and they think their chances are better with a mare that has already produced a graded stakes winner or her dam had better had produced numerous sakes winners. AND the stallion has to be the right stallion (well, the right one for that sale ;) ).

As much as I "resented" my husband for retiring and "resent" my health problems that required us to sell - it was for the best. You have to stop the bleeding at some point and unfortunately no one wanted the foals from those mares regardless of who the stallion was - and no matter how nicely conformed they were (or in one case was not) :) I am going to miss having them around that is for sure! We still have Tallulah and Vader and Damien as of now though so I'm not horseless yet at least.