Magic Express

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Magic Express

Postby Tbird » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:48 pm

OK, bear with me here. this is kind of complicated.
I'm facebook friends with a Tb rescue group in CA called Second Race. Excellent organization from what I can see.
Today, they posted a story from Florida about a starving chestnut horse found in the Miami area wandering loose and starving. Said he was ID'd to be 23-year old grandson of Secretariat named Magic Express by his tattoo. Dam said to be Secretariat Flag, sire not named.
The story goes that he raced in England and the US until five years old and then no record of his whereabouts until he was found in Florida 16 years later.
I looked up Secretariat Flag and she has no progeny named Magic Express born in what should have been 1987 if he's 23. No horse by the name of Magic Express in the database.
My question is, why does he not appear here since he has a race record and his dam is here?

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Postby Fireslam » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:09 am

If someone hasnt specifically put him in, he won't be here. This is a user inputted database, which is why theres a lot of errors and a lot of horses not in here.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:33 am

You can go to racingpost.comand look up his race record in Britain. I've just entered him into this database.

As fireslam said, unless someone enters a horse in this database it won't appear. If you are looking for definitive pedigree data, your best bet is to go to Brisnet or Equineline; they both offer free pedigree reports.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:36 am

I looked up the horse.... here is the info:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_displ ... 1030773455

It looks like he did indeed race in England, as you thought. Pretty durable too.... 64 starts.

Here is the dam's produce:
SECRETARIAT FLAG, by Secretariat. Unplaced in 1 start in ENG. Dam of 11 winners--
SERGEANT HAWK (g. by Silver Hawk). 5 wins at 3 and 4, $149,745, Bossier City H. [L], 2nd
Bougainvillea H. [G3], Laurance Armour H. [G3], Temperence Hill H. [L], 3rd Chick Lang Jr.
Memorial H..
Danzatore Flag (g. by Danzatore). 5 wins, 2 to 7, $183,032.
Flagstone Ferdie (f. by Ferdinand). 3 wins, 2 to 4, $59,786. Producer.
Magic Express (g. by Green Forest). 8 wins, 3 to 7 in ENG and NA , $40,240 (USA).
Amell (f. by Boston Harbor). 3 wins, 2 to 4, $25,310.
Secretary Forli (c. by *Forli). Winner at 3, $23,950. Sire.
Chief Secretariat (g. by Yonaguska). 3 wins at 3 and 4, $21,698.
Faxmeback (g. by Islefaxyou). Winner at 5, $15,179.
Regal Colours (g. by Sir Cat). 3 wins at 3 and 5, $14,443.
Mountain Queen (f. by Mountain Cat). Winner at 3, $11,160.
Cat in the Flag (c. by Tactical Cat). Winner at 3 in PAN.
Icesecret (f. by Clever Trick). See above.
Kissin Secretary (f. by Kissin Kris). Placed at 4, $7,190. Producer.

Tbird
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Tbird » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Fascinating. Thanks for the info regarding other sites.
Magic Express is being cared for by the SPCA of South Florida. Pictures of him and his story can be seen at www.spca-sofla.org
Warning: some gruesome pics of horses in horrible condition.
Hope Magic Express finds a great home and bless the folks at sofla spca and The Second Race.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 am

There's an article and picture on him in the paper. I forget which one but it was a nice story.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:24 pm

There has to be a way of making breeders,trainers,owners responsibles.I cannot believe that these being ex-racehorses nobody can be liable.Who was the last owner?trainer?Let's shake their tree....
All the horses that came tru my barn i keep tabs on and if found in distress i step up to the plate,and i am not rich,what about those rich people with big houses they never visit and dozens of fancy cars they hardly even drive,surely they can be accountable for their horses distress...How can it be done?
If there is no justice here hope that there will be one in the next world....
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 pm

"Physicist "trained by Howard Mills,owned by Patrice,Vivian and Douglas Winsome for his whole carreer!! last raced on february 27,2009....
So where are you guys,?I don't care if you gave or sold the horse,get out from under your rock now and be responsible.He needs help,he ran for you for 5 years...who did you sell him to?And who at the end abandonned him?It has to come out,...
If you own and train a horse for 5 years!!!You have to step up and do the right thing...NOW...not tomorrow...not eventually... in this life....
All those poor thoroughbreds are tattooed,so someone,somewhere. owned them,raced them and at the end just did not care.
There has to be a justice,a way to make those irresponsible humans step up and do something.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...