CTHS winter mixed book up online

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

barnchick
Yearling

CTHS winter mixed book up online

Postby barnchick » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:08 am

Fingers crossed for this lot.

westover
Allowance Winner

Postby westover » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:39 am

Tomorrow at 1 p.m. will be interesting to see what it brings. I love that " The Queens Stamp Horse", I have not seen her in person though.
She would be a nice buy for someone if she went for the right money. As long as she has a head & 4 legs :).
Horse Radish

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 am

Is there a link to the sales page?
~Dare to Dream~

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:15 pm

www.cthsont.com/mixedsale.php

She is hip #92, decent looking mare as is her full sister hip #8.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks! :D
~Dare to Dream~

BlazingColours
Allowance Winner

Postby BlazingColours » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:07 am

I was there and many horses did not get a bid at 750.

The horses all look in good shape and some really nice mares I would have taken home if I was in the market for some riding horses.

Here is a link to the results. http://www.cthsont.com/sales_app/view_sale.php

Did anyone here buy something?
Living life for the journey, not the destination.
Join us on FACEBOOK

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 pm

We got #217 "La Dura" we're going to try her back in training for next season, and if it doesn't work out she is very well bred!

Terrapin Flyer
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Terrapin Flyer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:35 pm

This sale looked pretty bad on paper and the 50% no bids (even with a lower than standard upset preice of $750) backed up the catalogue. What a slap in the face to the people who sell there to charge a commision based on $7,500 when the average of the sale has never been close to that. And aside from an oddly overpriced weanling, the sale had 5 or 6 that sold for above the norm prices, the rest of the horses in the sale sadly brought what they were worth.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Pretty dismal that's for sure! There are too many horses and not enough people interested in buying them. We gave a couple away as did many others after the sale was over, very sad :( I only bid on one but she is Alberta bound as her purchaser had very deep pockets ;)

Congrats Supernova on your purchase!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

Sparafucile
Suckling

Postby Sparafucile » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 am

This Sale sure convinced me. It is definitely time to get out of breeding. Like Mood Swings, I too gave away a broodmare at the sale. She was my last of four broodmares that I owned. There is a shortage of buyers. I mentioned to my consignor...If everyone at the sale took home a horse, there would still be horses left over. It is going to cost me over $1000 in expenses to go to this sale to give my horse away. It is quite sad to say the least. Frankly, I am tired of the nonsense and frustration of dealing with the all those involved in breeding and getting a horse to the sale only to get nothing for all the effort. I give up.... you win.... I'm out.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 am

The same problem all across Canada! Guess we all need to stop breeding. Seems breeder's must have over produced and it is so easy to bring in horses from elsewhere which are ALWAYS better, just ask the buyers so no need to produce them here in Canada. Soon will be no Canadian breds! Breed or state programs don't seem to help buyers are definitely telling us they do not want our horses. Rescues are full and giving horses away just compounds the problem

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:04 am

I wonder if there are any statistics on the percentages of US buyers at the Canadian sales over the past few years? I know when the Canadian dollar offered a 40% premium I was sorely tempted to shop up there. Now with the dollar roughly at par, there is No Incentive for me to look there vs Keeneland or Fasig Tipton here.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Gallop58
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Gallop58 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am

The breeding business is tough. It is nearly impossible in a regional market. This sale has been like this forever, so I'm past worrying about it.
To expect anything different is a naive. We as breeders are responsible for all aspects of the biz, including selling. If we're breeding horses that don't get a bid, we either need to be comfortable with that (because you're using it as a culling venue), or your business plan needs to be rethought.
I suspect most breeders don't actually have thought out business plans with remotely realistic expectations. If we did, we wouldn't breed anything. Most operations, have other things attached besides- breed, raise,sell, that makes it worthwhile for farm owners.
As Wilmott stated when he closed down Kinghaven, (I'm paraphrasing) "when you realize that your spending your own money to keep other peoples horses, somethings got to change"
It's not like there is some travesty going on where all these future classic winning horses aren't getting bids. We're talking about the culls for the most part.
The market has spoken, and it is indifferent to what it sees being produced. On the other hand, if you are buying, you're quite happy.

Sparafucile
Suckling

Postby Sparafucile » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:55 am

[/quote] The market has spoken, and it is indifferent to what it sees being produced. On the other hand, if you are buying, you're quite happy.[/quote]

It is NOT "the market" that has spoken but rather "the buyer". Like I said before, there is a lack of buyers. The buyer is not willing to pay a price that would justify someone breeding a horse and putting it up for sale. Eventually, the market will dry up and the buyer will be forced to pay more for the few horses remaining that are put up for sale. It is a supply/demand battle. It is time to get out. It will be a very long time before the pendulum swings into the seller's favour.

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:25 pm

If there are many buyers then the market is good, not so many buyers amounts to a bad market, no?