Two Year Old Colt Needs Home

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

clh
Grade I Winner

Two Year Old Colt Needs Home

Postby clh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Our soon to be two year old Tueflesburg colt out of Laird's Honor is in need of a good home soon. I had planned on keeping him and letting him live out his days with McCaskill but she passed away in May. I then thought I had him a home with a TB/QH operation; they wanted to use him as a stud. That ended up not working out. He is not race-sound as he has a sesmoid cyst that is healing. We have treated it with rounds of Adequan and OCD pellets and on each x-ray it has reduced in size.

"Damien" has worked in the round pen for up to 25 minutes and plays roughly in the field with our other 2 year old colt with no problems. The other 2 year old colt will be going to the track soon, leaving Damien here by himself which is not a good situation for him (or me since we sold the rest of our stock in November due to hubby's retirement and my health issues). So, if you or anyone you know might be interested in Damien, please let me know.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

helen in FL
Starters Handicap

Postby helen in FL » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:40 pm

You think of calling Journeyman? They are standing his sire for 2011.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 am

Honestly Helen, I hadn't thought of contacting them but I'll give it a try.

I'malso willing to geld this boy for someone who is interested in him :)

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Estimated mature height? What type of movement does he have?

Thanks!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 pm

Skititgirl - My guess is he'll be at least 16H and his movement is smooth (and fast). He shows no soundness issues when he runs and he no longer favors the right side. When he first was diagnosed with the injury he would "rest" his rear on his feed bucket. The insurance company gave me the go ahead to put him down last summer but after losing McCaskill I just didn't have the heart to do it and the vet really felt with "time" he would heal, and he is. Here are a couple of photos of him taken in October.

[img][img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/cherhop/10-14-10014.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:05 pm

I wish I could take him. He would be much easier to place gelded though. Good luck!
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:50 pm

I didn't geld him because he was paddock buddies with another stallion colt that is going to the track. It isn't always best to have a stud colt and a gelding together - therefore I kept them BOTH intact. I would be willing to geld him for sure if someone wanted him! Unfortunately, he's posted in numerous places and it doesn't look too promising for the boy. Insurance company may end up getting their wish after all without having to pay out anything :cry:

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm

Good news - I think my trainer is going to take the boy :) He is a breeder's cup nominated foal and his JC name is now "Not An Altar Boy". I'm thrilled he's found a home I think - keeping my fingers crossed!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Damien loaded up with Vader on Thursday and now both boys are gone :( There are now no horses in my barn at this moment in time .... first time in years, quite the adjustment. Anyhow, Damien (the devil) has found a good home which is what I wanted for him! Thanks guys!