"Big Business" in his first race Saturday

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

"Big Business" in his first race Saturday

Postby henthorn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:25 am

The Eddington/Spanish Guitar 3yo colt is in MSW company at Santa Anita on Saturday 29th, 2nd race, PP5, for 3yo at 6 furlongs. The dam is my mare. :P
Rocking H

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 am

Goodluck! I will try to watch!

rumple
Weanling

Postby rumple » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Yikes, looks like a pretty salty field hes facing just going by the trainers. 2 Bafferts and one each from Sherriffs, Sadler and Asmussen. Good luck!

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Photo update

Postby henthorn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Only one of the six starters has already raced. Tokubetsu[u] is the first Baffert trainee, bred by Nelson Bunker Hunt. He just missed in MSW company at Hollywood Park on December 5th. So he is the deserving 8:5 favorite. In this small field, my horse is the longest shot at 8:1 odds. They've mostly all been working together at HP for several months, so anything can happen. I don't expect a win, but hopefully a good experience and confidence builder. I'm eager to see what he can do. I've uploaded some photos from May 2008 and May 2010. :lol: :wink:

ImageImage
Rocking H

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Race update--Big Business

Postby henthorn » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Maiden Special Weight company is right! The two leaders smoked the remainder of the field by 8 1/2 - 10 lengths in the six furlong race. The final time was 1:07.3. BB finished in fifth place, five lengths behind the leader of the second flight, total of fifteen lengths or about 3 seconds slower than the winner.

I think if anything will spur a competitive spirit for these first time starters, this is it. The John Sadler trainee named Runflatout by Flatter won after battling the favorite much of the race. These two are definitely to watch for the upcoming Derby preps.
Rocking H

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 am

Hi Henthorn,

Not to be rude about your horse but I don't think you should be running it in MSW and expecting a win.

According to the Pedigree Query DB the dam has had 4 other foals and no winners as yet.

From the American Thoroughbred review website
http://www.thoroughbredreview.com/StallionWatch.htm

1. Eddington ($5,000 Claiborne Farm, KY) - 115 starters, not a single stakes winner, and he's dragging his mares down like few can. Half his starters can't even bankroll $7,000. Claiborne should be paying mare owners, not the other way around.

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Oh don't you just love it when people make comments like this after a race...

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Not to be rude, Dublino, but if you read what Henthorn wrote, you might have actually seen this:

In this small field, my horse is the longest shot at 8:1 odds. They've mostly all been working together at HP for several months, so anything can happen. I don't expect a win, but hopefully a good experience and confidence builder. I'm eager to see what he can do.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Dublino, no offense taken. This horse was purchased for $115,000 by his current owner, and it is always a difficult decision what class race to start in, since the only other options are claiming races for less than purchase price, or a less difficult track in MSW company. I don't claim to know what the trainer has in mind. You are right that Spanish Guitar has had four of racing age, but her four year old daughter is in race training. The Silver Ghost son had airway problems, and the Festival of Light filly only started twice over a year's time, so I assume she also had physical problems. The fourth horse is this one.

Often an expensive horse with apparent ability begins in MSW company until he proves he's not talented enough to stay there.

I can't believe no one remarked on the photos. :P

By the way, the road from breeding decisions to racing career is full of perils, most of which can not be predicted. Eddington placed in the Triple Crown races himself, and had no runners yet when I bred the dam for what was then a $20,000 fee. The stallion himself is quite the nice specimen. We expected this to be a special match, and potentially a profitable sale horse (which he turned out to be). Who would have known the economy would drop out after these decisions were made?
Rocking H

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 am

Des wrote:Oh don't you just love it when people make comments like this after a race...

Was going to post it before the race but I said lets wait and see, maybe the mare might produce something.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:45 am

pfrsue wrote:Not to be rude, Dublino, but if you read what Henthorn wrote, you might have actually seen this:

In this small field, my horse is the longest shot at 8:1 odds. They've mostly all been working together at HP for several months, so anything can happen. I don't expect a win, but hopefully a good experience and confidence builder. I'm eager to see what he can do.

Thats not rude, I read what he wrote, but from the mares past progeny and what I have read/seen from Eddington I didn't think this horse was a MSW horse. (Although you can only go on stats and A. I don't train this particular Horse and B. I have never seen this horse in person)

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 am

henthorn wrote:Dublino, no offense taken. This horse was purchased for $115,000 by his current owner, and it is always a difficult decision what class race to start in, since the only other options are claiming races for less than purchase price, or a less difficult track in MSW company. I don't claim to know what the trainer has in mind. You are right that Spanish Guitar has had four of racing age, but her four year old daughter is in race training. The Silver Ghost son had airway problems, and the Festival of Light filly only started twice over a year's time, so I assume she also had physical problems. The fourth horse is this one.

Often an expensive horse with apparent ability begins in MSW company until he proves he's not talented enough to stay there.

I can't believe no one remarked on the photos. :P

By the way, the road from breeding decisions to racing career is full of perils, most of which can not be predicted. Eddington placed in the Triple Crown races himself, and had no runners yet when I bred the dam for what was then a $20,000 fee. The stallion himself is quite the nice specimen. We expected this to be a special match, and potentially a profitable sale horse (which he turned out to be). Who would have known the economy would drop out after these decisions were made?

Hi Henthorn

I am glad to hear you sold the horse for a profit and that your not footing his training bill. :D

The horse looks nice in the pictures thats the main reason I waited until after the race. He looked pretty nice shoulder etc. How many nice looking horse can't run?

Well thats what happens when people breed to unproven stallions $20,000 is now $5,000 - glad to hear you made it out with a profit.

Do you still have the mare? Is she in foal? Maybe Big Business will give her page an uplift? Lets keep our fingers crossed.

henthorn
Eclipse Champion

Postby henthorn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:43 am

Oh, so true! I would not have been financially able to pursue this colt's best career hopes. A Florida pinhooker named Danzel Brandemuehl took over his expenses after he RNA'ed at the 2009 August Saratoga sale, since she believed in him and thought him a good 2yo sales prospect. He is really a cool guy, very laid-back, with a huge stride and very trainable.

For the dam's info, see the Stable Watch forum beginning with the "unexpected" thread.
Rocking H

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:09 am

Henthorn, yes just read that thread, nice update for her page, lets hope one of her babies makes it to the winner circle, keep us posted. :)

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Nice MSW win for Big Business...