Arch-as a sire

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Arch-as a sire

Postby Shannon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 pm

I'd like some opinions of Arch-
Of his quality as a sire, and of his offsprings sales prices and their track abilities.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:35 am

We paid $25k for an Arch colt who was as big as a house as a 2 year old. Totally a turf pedigree. Just so impressive to look at. Dumb as a box of rocks. He broke his maiden with 5k claimers and we sold him as a showhorse.

I saw the new owner at a show later that season and she told me the first time they turned him out in a bigger paddock (after a week in a small pen). He ran right into a tree being an idiot out in his paddock. He was fine and schooling very nicely. Just not the brightest crayon in the box.

Wish I could offer more advice. The young foals I've seen are well balanced and this guy was my only experience with one of his older horses. I think he is going to get a huge boost at the sales this year.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 am

Crystal, why the boost this year in particular in your opinion? I am just curious, I had an Arch gelding, and he was incredible, just couldn't hold up soundness wise.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:26 pm

Maybe something to do with that horse Blame winning that small race a few months back, what was it now?? Ah yes the Breeders Cup Classic.

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Dang Crystal maybe your Arch was oxygen deprived at birth. Using the Runinto IQ test I think I may own an Einstein of some sort. The other day I had just put up about 15 posts starting to crossfence a pasture when my 2010 colt came storming up from the back of the property, he then proceeded to slalom 3-4 posts at damn near full speed. I about vomitted watching him but later started daydreaming about him weaving through traffic in the Derby.

Arch as a sire? Well his fee keeps going up and he's always booked full, 'bout says it all.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Dub hit the nail on the head..

I don't know if the colt was oxygen deprived,, or maybe his dam foaled standing up and dropped him on his head.

I have a great win pic of him (the only one of him) CRUISING down the stretch in head to hoof mud. Pedigree said turf, he said mud.. we said we're not waiting for the weather to turn to run this sucker..

Soundness wasn't so much a problem for him, but he was too big (and prob too dumb) to really get it all together and figure out this racing thing.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry all :oops: missed the obvious. It has not been my week...
I was on another mental plane when asking about Arch from looking at photos of my Arch gelding. Daydreaming of getting my hands on another someday as I was extremely impressed. Guess I will be waiting a while :wink:

Des
Allowance Winner

Postby Des » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am

I Have always been suspect of their soundness...

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Des, due to size? Or conformation?