45k- really?

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

45k- really?

Postby Crystal » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:19 am

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-395467

Them Giant's Causeways' sure do look purty in the huntring...

:shock: :roll:

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

gorgeous!

freshman
Allowance Winner

Postby freshman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm

He's a flashy thing, but looks oddly light behind; where are his hind quarters? Maybe just the photo.

ETA: Sporthorse folks don't know or care anything about Giant's Causeway, so not sure why the price on this one. In fact, the ad doesn't really specify registry, something that does matter.
"I'll lay me down and bleed a while, and then I'll rise and fight again." Sir Barton

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Freshman, what are the chances Giants Causeway covered anything BUT tb mares?? Pretty sure you can bank on him being full TB, and registered.
He must be well shown to have a 45,000 price on him. Likely a lot of competion miles, and successful ones at that.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

cng
Allowance Winner

Postby cng » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Shannon wrote:Freshman, what are the chances Giants Causeway covered anything BUT tb mares?? Pretty sure you can bank on him being full TB, and registered.
He must be well shown to have a 45,000 price on him. Likely a lot of competion miles, and successful ones at that.

It doesn't take anything but nerve, stupidity or arrogance to put a ridiculous price on a horse. There might be someone equally stupid to believe it (usually those people don’t have any money though).

freshman
Allowance Winner

Postby freshman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:11 pm

Shannon wrote:Freshman, what are the chances Giants Causeway covered anything BUT tb mares?? Pretty sure you can bank on him being full TB, and registered.
He must be well shown to have a 45,000 price on him. Likely a lot of competition miles, and successful ones at that.

Not a doubt in my mind that the horse is 100% TB.

But as a stallion prospect, it is important to specify registry. As in JC and/or various warmblood registries, approvals, etc. TB's are often sold without pedigree or papers, including the ubiquitous adult TB horses sold as "eligible" to be registered JC, which is about $2,000 different than a JC registered horse. Also, sellers will market a TB horse as a "purebred" all day long, but maybe the stud fee was not paid, and so denied cert by stallion owner, which could be a $500 problem or--in the case of a Giant's Causeway horse--a $100,000+ problem. That, and the fact that the ad didn't specify a registered name or show name, or specify show record, show circuit, etc, made me wonder. Saying in an ad that a horse is doing 2-3rd level dressage, is jumps 3'6", etc, is way different from saying that the horse has shown X level dressage, won the jumpers at Y show, and/or was high point champion in Z division/locality.

Also, the whole "Giant's Causeway" angle was emphasized in the advert, which raised another eyebrow for me. Storm Cat blood isn't something generally sought after in the sporthorse world. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the line is selected against in these circles, as they are not known to be especially sound, durable, good-minded, or have any particular talents as jumpers, dressage horses, etc. That sort of thing. The Giant's Causeway name-dropping makes me wonder how much these people know about the thoroughbred market in race or sport. Savvy race industry players would know the value of a GC son that did nothing on the track, which is nothing at all, unless a remarkable female family; and since they did not remark in the ad, I assume it is not there... And savvy sporthorse folks might mention GC sire as fun fact, but nothing more.

It was a bad ad. This is not especially rare. Who knows, maybe the horse
is totally proven at 2-3 level dressage, jumpers, whatever. And maybe he's registered, approved, and eligible to breed in a baker's dozen respected registries, a veritable bargain at the 45,000 price. The point is, who knows? Not me. I just read the ad.
"I'll lay me down and bleed a while, and then I'll rise and fight again." Sir Barton

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:07 pm

If he is competing successfully and well at that level jumpers then he is in the same price range as many other horses at the show level.

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-374877

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-367724

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-371308

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-187567

Just depends on who and where you market him to. He probably will sell as a hunter/jumper and not into a race breeding program. They should probably list his show record and some show pics. He is gorgeous.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Why so sure he only covers TB at Ashford?

reneemg
Suckling

Postby reneemg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:28 pm

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-187567

This guy is right up the street from me. He's been for sale for YEARS! You definitely can't compare Warmbloods to Thoroughbreds price wise. Hunter/Jumpers will pay more for the Warmblood label the majority of the time. Being a stallion also isn't going to make him appeal to a large portion of the market. He'd be worth more as a gelding.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Tappiano: I don't know many warmblood breeders anywhere that would pay such a high stud fee, especially for a TB stallion! And I doubt a Coolmore farm would breed anything off the books.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

freshman nailed it on the head.

I have never seen emphasis of pedigree put on a jumping/show horse stud prospect who is 100% TB with a commercial(racing) pedigree.

Those type of ads are saved for those marketing ottbs to new career homes and have lines like ...his grandpa is Northern Dancer... ooooo, and they ask stupid amounts of money b/c this mare is by Secretariat, (again) ..ooooo.

But then again, if he has a brilliant show career and he just happends to be by Giants Causeway, perhaps the best way to market him IS to show he comes from an expensive TB pedigree, and maybe once sold for $$$$$$$$ at Keeneland or Fasig.

He's cute, flashy, obviously sound, and might be worth 5k if gelded. But if he has been forsale for a while perhaps his owners just have their heads in the clouds and have been blinded by the $$$ of the TB world.

and just point of order.. Coolmore would never waste the time to cover a non-TB with a stud like Giants Causeway. I'm not saying it isnt done at a lot of other stallion farms with stallions who may have a chunk change stud fee, and the farm is covering the cost of the help by a $500 booking fee/stud fee. Not a $150k stud.
So yet again, yes perhaps the SSC was never released and the stud fee was never paid. I could find out if I had a mares name and YOB.

horse
2yo Maiden

Giant's Causeway Stud Fee

Postby horse » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Only his get with three legs bring $45,000.
http://www.coolmore.com/stallions-view. ... rica&id=25

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Actually once they flop at the track they are pretty reasonable! This guy would need a lot of show miles to be worth that much money. He is beautiful though.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

francesca
Allowance Winner

ha-ha price has gone up to $60,000

Postby francesca » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm

jumping 3'6" and 2nd-3rd level still doesnt 60k impress me.. but then again I'm not in the market for a 60k jumper.. Any takers?