Maryland TB seizures...150 horses!!!

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Maryland TB seizures...150 horses!!!

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 pm

http://your4state.com/fulltext?nxd_id=181897

Breeding farm...Again...for God sake please stop overbreeding,we cannot feed all of them for you,irresponsible morons...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Hold Your Peace
Allowance Winner

Postby Hold Your Peace » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:55 pm

They're not thoroughbreds.

This farm bred "Polish Arabians".

This is the farm's website:

http://www.polisharabianhorses.com/

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:46 pm

It doesn't say if they breed or not.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. They could have been a rescue for a particular breed.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sun May 01, 2011 5:02 am

Let me rephrase that:Yes they were breeding and the point is not the breed but the overbreeding.I don't care if they are TB arabians quarters or mules,,,they were starved and suffer the same.(Extrapolation:I don't care if the starved or abused child is chinese,black,indian or cocasian he suffers the same)
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Sun May 01, 2011 8:04 am

The Arabian market has been overbred for a long time. What this outfit did, they did with full knowledge of what might overtake them. This is obscene.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Sun May 01, 2011 8:41 am

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Wow. I just read Sysonby's link. I read all 42 pages, as a matter of fact. I even got one of the video links to work. Folks, this could be any of us. Those young horses looked fine. Not show ring pretty, but damn sure not "starved, neglected, abused, or (my favorite) "feral"! One of the youngsters was trying to sniff the camera. It seems pretty evident the skinny ones were ancient mares the lady chose to keep around rather than ship. Her pastures were great. They rescues took 138 because a handful of geriatrics had "body scores below 3". OK, maybe she waited a bit too long to have them euthanized.

BUT this

Sylvie Hebert Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 pm Post subject: Maryland TB seizures...150 horses!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://your4state.com/fulltext?nxd_id=181897

Breeding farm...Again...for God sake please stop overbreeding,we cannot feed all of them for you,irresponsible morons...

This is the knee-jerk reaction that fricking PETA and HSUS want. Somebody read the carefully selected press release and right away spread the Word. According to the Arabian folks' research there were some yearlings, but no mares were in foal for this year. The breeder in question had some of the top lines for her breed, not a backyard breeder by any stretch and she has been trying to rehome horses for a year. How would like to have a few nut jobs see your pensioners and come take your AP Indy, Storm Cat, and Giant's Causeway babies?? Hell, I saw John Henry at KHP 5 years before he died and I thought he looked like hell. Not much different than most of this lady's oldsters.

For the record, I detest Arabs. They are too small, too slow, and their funky little heads creep me out. I never would have seen the "other side" without Sysonby's link, but I'm glad I looked. This is not the first highly publicized, unwarranted seizure. They are getting more prevelant. It is time for all horse owners and breeders to band together, regardless of breed, before we get over-run...

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon May 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Photofinish thank you for your well written well thought out response. And thanks for taking the time to read the entire 42 pages for all the information possible. I agree whole heartedly.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon May 02, 2011 4:16 pm

just finished looking at all the videos and reading all the comments,all 52 pages .Well yes the really bad ones are the very old ones,rain rot,very very skinny and all.They should have been put down humanely before they got that way(i do have a few ancients here they do not look that way).As for the yearlings,not in the greatest shape but not that poor either and i think they had some lush pastures on that farm,they could have been re-distributed and fine.I still think there was a point where they should have stopped breeding,and the fact that most papers for the yearlings are not done yet shows problrms.But i agree with the ones that think the horses should not have been rounded up and taken care of there.And may be those other arabs amateurs could have step in.If the yearlings are the youngest and no mare is in foal then the owner was trying to do it right and it does not smell good for the rescues and animal control/protection agencies there...
I still think that in this economy breeding should be limited.And as some said,what is the point of spending $5000 on each horse if they are going to be paperless...they will not stand a chance and money could be used better.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Just read the now 57 pages about this situation...I hope the farm owner and her attorney(s) work quickly. The media is running with this and it does not sound wholly warranted.

Makes me think that as a horse owner, meticulous records must be kept in order to stop any such actions quickly by showing feed bills, vet bills, farrier bills, and schedules.

Also striking is the commentary to be careful what you post on public internet forums if you are dispersing your herd or need to do an emergency herd reduction, which unfortunately has happened to folks for many reasons outside of their control. The comments indicate this raises a flag to rescue/PETA/HSUS groups to monitor your farm and perhaps pay visits. On the other hand, marketing so that people know you are serious in your need to sell is necessary too.

Awful, awful situation.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Tue May 03, 2011 5:31 am

In the Internet echo chamber, it is hard for people outside the situation to tell what is truth, what is excuse making and what is grandstanding. If the Arabian breeders on the link I posted are to be believed, a lot of her problem stemmed from keeping retired oldsters until they drop. Isn't that what the Internet posters regularly tell breeders they must do? Also, again from that site, she doesn't seem to have any horses younger than yearlings so she did stop breeding. But try marketing an empty mare some time. It's probably the same in Arabs as in TBs. She also--again from the site--asked for help. If there is no more to this story, the seizure was her response. Ummm, have we gotten so callous that that action was deemed appropriate when by just everyone's account including the rescuers all of the horses conditions did not warrant seizure.

And who notified the media?

These horses were the life's work of someone everyone agrees was not a backyard breeder. My God, couldn't it have been handled better than this?

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue May 03, 2011 8:17 am

I personaly do not advocate that we should keep retirees til they drop.I think that depending on the situation,if we cannot take care of them or they are unhealthy or uncomfortable then we should take the responsability of humanely ending their misery.I do not get along very well with the no-kill shelters...Some horses and dogs and cats will never have a home or will use up too much time and cash for not ending very well anyway,that money or energy would be better spent on education and rescueing of young healthy,easy to relocate animals.If i get a horse that i cannot place well i pay to have him put down if i cannot keep him myself.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 am

I think the farm owner should sue the "authorities" - IMMEDIATELY. They should also be charged with criminal trespass and horse theft.

Those horses were not "abused."
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue May 03, 2011 9:18 am

I agree with Madelyn. They obviously can show due diligence is trying to sell/place these horses previously as well as their efforts to "curb" their breeding population as shown by NOT breeding their mares this year.

I noticed a different attitude with these Arab people vs TB people who have commented on dispersals, etc. The Arab-horse folks seemed to be a lot more focused with their efforts of trying to get information to the public with lists of horses/bloodlines/registrations etc.

IMO the first thing a lot of TB rescue groups would have done is rounded up with villagers with pitchforks and torches and gone to town of what a POS the breeder was, blah blah blah. They seem to jump the gun without doing research.. or for most Even think clearly before they act.

of course I only got 20 or so pages into the thread.. Wish I could help b/c my foundation is Arab show horses.. and I have a soft spot for a Polish Arab with a typey head :)

I did chuckle at that redonkulous article quoted a few times in the thread about the "statueque horses with pretty manes,, selling for up to 30k"... Al-Marah horses were mentioned being listed for 20k+ on their website, however.. Al-Marah horses have performance records up the WAZOO! They are a family who has been breeding horses since the beginning of time and they continue to support the Arabian breed in EVERY way possible.

ALSO.. The days of Arabian "Keeneland type" auctions where horses sold for 30k+ are LOONNNNGGGG Gone. Like late 80s' gone.. when I say Keeneland Type.. their auctions were like Broadway Shows-Black Tie- dinner theater- type auctions. Horses were shown in the spotlight, at liberty in an arena surrounded (by a fence) and many many dinner tables of 8-12 people. You had to buy tickets to even GO to the auction, nevermind buy at the action. I know this because a member of my family worked for Lasma Arabians in Scottsdale, AZ. It was her job to coordinate these events. The LaCroix were the Sheikh Mos' of the Arab world in the 80s'.

Today.. it's just not the same.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue May 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Sylvia
I do have a bone to pick with you. What you put in the name ( Moron) of this post was wrong. It was wrong of you to jump to conclusions before digging like SYNSONBY did .. ( Thank you Synsonby)
People are often falsely accused by the media and the media RARELY give all the details.
You are quick to judge perhaps someday someone out there or the media in your area will falsely accuse you of something or someone out there will start a nasty rumor about you. So that you know how it feels.
I am going to contact them to see if I can be any help. I can use another Arabian.
Last edited by karenkarenn on Tue May 03, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.