Maryland TB seizures...150 horses!!!

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Tue May 03, 2011 4:04 pm

Crystal wrote:I know this because a member of my family worked for Lasma Arabians in Scottsdale, AZ. It was her job to coordinate these events. The LaCroix were the Sheikh Mos' of the Arab world in the 80s'.

Even then they had a ranch where they turned loose their culls they could not do anything with.
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm

They do it here too except they turn their quarter horses, paints out with the mustangs along the Nevada and Orgeon Border.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Tue May 03, 2011 10:11 pm

Sorry, I know this is a serious topic, and am heartened to see so many folks thinking for themselves, using available information, and making conscious efforts to be fair as opposed to just grabbbbing the FOB flag and the media hype!

But this:
karenkarenn wrote:Sylvia

You are quick to judge perhaps someday someone out there or the media in your area will falsely accuse you of something or someone out there will start a nasty rumor about you. So that you know how it feels.
I am going to contact them to see if I can be any help. I can use another Arabian.

This made me chuckle! At a quick glance, it sounds as though KarenKarenn is going to contact Sylvie's local media and see if she can help start a rumor :lol: :lol: Oh, yeah, and she could use another Arabian :lol: . I know that's not what you meant, but it just tickled me on my first read-through!

OK, back to the sad realities of this thread.....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue May 03, 2011 10:13 pm

What s so funny about using another horse?

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 pm

In other words, What so funny about using another horse as a saddle mount.
To Rope, to jump, to trail ride, to barrel race to pole bend, to gymkhana, to parade to do all the other things besides racing that any horse/ any breed can do.
Its putting another horse to work and giving it a meaning full life besides the pasture.
I don't know why thats so funny so many horses stand around beng lawn ornaments.
Secondly, If you read my statement to Sylvia it was hypothetical.
K

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 pm

karenkarenn wrote:In other words, What so funny about using another horse as a saddle mount.
To Rope, to jump, to trail ride, to barrel race to pole bend, to gymkhana, to parade to do all the other things besides racing that any horse/ any breed can do.
Its putting another horse to work and giving it a meaning full life besides the pasture.
I don't know why thats so funny so many horses stand around beng lawn ornaments.
Secondly, If you read my statement to Sylvia it was hypothetical.
K

No, no, no. You are misunderstanding me, like I said, if you read it quickly it seemed like you wanted to "help" start a rumor......and could use another horse (like an afterthought). I wrote I realized that's not what you meant, just made me chuckle on first read through...

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 am

as i stated before and repeat now,anyone anytime can stop by my farm and check on my horses.(please bring carrots or peppermints)i have nothing to hide.And i will gladly supply references from vets or owners all over the continent you can call and ask.But back on the subject this was in the horse magazine:
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.asp ... 181&src=EM

And again i am not spreading lies and diffaming anyone,i only report articles and news already published.If you remember i knew abourt Gerry years before and only tried to contact the humane society but never wrote about it til it was over.I don't attack people on presomptions.And Karenkaren if ever you see starving horses or abused animals please do something,don't hesitate...for fear of what people may think of you or loosing friends...Apathy is the worst crime in our world.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Wed May 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Sylvie
I don't think you understand. You still seem to think that spreading the Media that over reacted is okay. And its not.
Secondly I HAVE APATHY for those that I have taken the time out to talk to and ask questions before I accuse, expecially if they have been falsely accused of something when they didn't do it. Just because a horse shows ribs or first off shows something that is off doesn't mean that its being abused.
So stop JUMPING to conclusions about people.

"I don't attack people on presomptions"- Slyvie quotes.
You just did by calling a person a moron in the begining of this post.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed May 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Did the media really over-reacted?As per the vets who inspected the horses and they did have months to correct the problem(as per article in "thehorse")most horses were between 1 and 4 on the scale...
I did not call any particular person a moron but all the ones that overbreed indiscriminatly,and i maintain it.
Quote:Breeding farm...Again...for God sake please stop overbreeding,we cannot feed all of them for you,irresponsible morons...
I meant as stated everyone found to be breeding horses they cannot feed or care for.
It seems they did stop breeding last year but one year to place or otherwise dispose of overstock is long enough....And they had visits of officials since a year ago...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Sylvie Hebert wrote:Did the media really over-reacted?As per the vets who inspected the horses and they did have months to correct the problem(as per article in "thehorse")most horses were between 1 and 4 on the scale...
I did not call any particular person a moron but all the ones that overbreed indiscriminatly,and i maintain it.
Quote:Breeding farm...Again...for God sake please stop overbreeding,we cannot feed all of them for you,irresponsible morons...
I meant as stated everyone found to be breeding horses they cannot feed or care for.
It seems they did stop breeding last year but one year to place or otherwise dispose of overstock is long enough....And they had visits of officials since a year ago...

Yes the media overreacted because they told only one side of the story in the most sensationalized way. We --you and me--don't know what is true and what is false but just what is being reported.

Personally I would love to know if there is a court order involved in any of this so far. Maybe it's not required in Maryland but it might allay some fears about due process if someone had to present evidence of probable cause to a judge.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:56 am

I know first hand what it is like to have one person make your life a living hell because they think they see something that is not. And then when the bleeding hearts of PETA or whom even gets evolved it turns into a roller coaster ride from hell.

I believe there are people that have horses or any animal that really do not know how to care for them and yes the animals end up starving but ONLY from ignorance, and I mean that in the true sense of the word. I believe there are people that breed for ONLY the money and do not care. But then there are breeders that have a few horses that have issues, and then all of a sudden that person is made out to be a stupid moron that should never own an animal. People that have been in the horse business for 30 plus yrs, showing breeding, riding, boarding what have you, do not just wake up one day and say 'Gee I think I will starve this horse and this horse and this horse and this horse for the next few months" but all the rest I will feed. And then when the media gets involved and the authorities it turns into a witch hunt at it's best. And the authorities like Animal Control with their pretend badges because the real cops will not give them guns, and they probably flunk police school......they have something to prove. And then of course they want to make an example out of that one breeder because breeders are bad in general and should be ashamed that, that is what they do for a living. They are corrupt and most do not know a horses head from a horses ass.

With the rising cots of almost everything, and the lack of sales, unfortunately breeders have suffered. But NO ONE was prepared for this decline in horse sales and the closure of slaughter houses. Most breeders have had to cut cost and so they do it like skipping shots or worming or what have you, but not FOOD!! The increase of sick horses is not being looked at, AT ALL. There is a difference between a sick horse and a starved horse and both look the same. For example the out breaks of the flu and/or EVA, BOTH which causes symptoms like anorexia.

The closure of slaughter houses has caused a huge problem in the US as far as horses are concerned. The tree huggers out there have no idea what they have done and we as breeders or owners pay the price. I myself want to save them all but I have paid a price for trying and have been pegged the bad guy, So now I must shut my heart on the animal I love and walk away when someone that is less fortunate then I am ask if I can take their sick animal. Or I see a horse that is for sale that I know I can help.

I am so sick of people jumping on the band wagon to hang anyone that is in the media and accused and think just because it is in the media, it is true. I can tell you I USE to be on of those people. How DARE anyone throw stones without really knowing. And I can promise you that what you hear in the media and from authorities is a bunch of BS and they will lie to make the point and it is costing Tax Payers, and as Tax payers you should be upset as well.

Horse people should band together. But it will NEVER happen. If I have learned anything from being evolved with horses, horse people are the worse. Not all, and I see some pretty great ones on here, so please do not take offence. But they are cut throat and most will not give another horse person the time of day. Think about that before you react, and again not all, but most. If you have ever shown when younger you know what I mean. Heck, the first race track I ever trained at, there where two gals there that where as mean and crazy as can be towards me. It was the old timers that helped me out.

NON of us have a leg to stand on when it comes to judging. There is so much corruption lying in almost everything we come in contact with, and this is no different. People seem to want to watch and listen to the worse things out there and what is worse then someone neglecting animals and the media are great at pulling heart strings and they will say whatever sells because people eat that crap up......and the authorities will say whatever will win a case and get's them promoted. This is a fact.

I have read all the post here on this subject......but I have yet to go read the article because I know it will just piss me off to see another fellow horses person wrongly accused. I do not need to read it to know they did nothing wrong!! Shame on you to think they did. You may want to rethink because I can guarantee you if you have anything ever wrong with one of your horses and someone elce see's it, they will think the worse and report you.

Way to many people want to point the finger instead of offering a helping hand.

Mike
Allowance Winner

Postby Mike » Fri May 06, 2011 2:28 am

"Way to many people want to point the finger instead of offering a helping hand."

Oh so right. One questions their motive. They want a fight and have no real interest in the interaction between horse and human.

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri May 06, 2011 5:37 am

Sylvie Hebert wrote:as i stated before and repeat now,anyone anytime can stop by my farm and check on my horses.(please bring carrots or peppermints)i have nothing to hide.And i will gladly supply references from vets or owners all over the continent you can call and ask.But back on the subject this was in the horse magazine:
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.asp ... 181&src=EM

Sylvie, I would not be so quick to open up your doors. You might be amazed at how this can happen to even good horsemen.

I know a show trainer. Been in the business 30 years, lots of credentials and fabulous reputation. Many years ago he got a horse in that he was going to make a broodmare who had some questionable practices done to her by previous owners during her show career. Well one disgruntled person later and an overzealous Humane Society officer who didn't know any better or about horses in general and the next thing you know he is facing charges of animal abuse complete with an arrest, a perp walk and a media circus where this Peta-esque official tried to try him in the newspaper.

Well he went to trial at great expense and he WON. All that got a few lines in the local paper.

The moral of the story is that they are out there and they are gunning for us in the horse world and you can't believe everything you read. If that sounds paranoid, I've seen it in action almost ruin an innocent man.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri May 06, 2011 7:06 am

as far as horse people not being able to work together i agree,here we had a standarbred track(blue bonnets)was not doing well.We got together a group of wealthy interested business people to turn it in a mixed track(TB,SB,QH,Arabs)and part of it ashow facility.Well the SB people said if the others come here we are leaving,we want to stay the only show in town.Now the track is closed,no more racing in my state...The a few years back QH people wanted a track,the ones with land and cash wanted it on their property,badly located hours from the first town...I suggested a town where a SB track was closed and had a gambling permit,clubhouse,plently of vets training centers and all close by,a major hiway and was centraly located between all the bigger cities,no they kept on pulling the blanket each toward their area to make $$$.It evidently flunked...Everyone wants it their way or they don't want others to have it,you never succeed that way but hey this is human nature for you.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:07 pm

This whole topic hits so close to home and you sure find out who your friends are, and who the true horsemen and woman are.

It turned my life upside down. I am not even mad I am so deeply hurt because I have spent over 35 yrs in the horse business and have spent my life trying to improve and help others just to have it turned into a circus and made out to be something it was not.

No good deed goes unpunished. My heart truly goes out to this farm and I hope they have the strength inside to fight. I lost my battle, but have not given up because I have the truth on my side and I believe it will come out someday. I am not going to get all religious but I believe God will take care of those that strike against the people that want to hurt the ones that are in this for the good reasons and then get slandered and ruined. It is an awful horrid feeling to know what you feel inside and know what your intentions are to have the public and some authorities try and say otherwise.

Please do not judge these people, for one it is not our place and second, it could be you.

And I agree, do NOT let anyone just come into your barn and look around. One little thing you believe is OK someone elce may not. That is all it takes and there are way to many animal groups ready to pounce at ANYTHING.

Keep record of EVERYTHING, even if you never use to. Even conversations if you have to. If you think it is not something worth keeping track of.........do it anyway!! Do not believe that someone is there to "help". People will tell you their bad intentions if you listen close enough.

Can we go on to happier things now!!