When to put front shoes on yearling for sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 am

The two sale toppers we had maybe saw the light of day for a few hours each day.. but I'm sure it depends on the consignor and what they have to deal with.. Most will go out in the evening for a few hours, but if weather is bad, or the horses just cant handle being civil when they go out (and seperate turnout isnt an option) a sale prepper will opt to keep a horse in.

Kelly Kip
2yo Maiden

Postby Kelly Kip » Thu May 12, 2011 7:21 am

At the farm I worked at, the horses were turned out each evening at 7pm, unless it was storming. But in our situation, we had more colts than paddocks (the colts always were turned out alone), so they alternated days. The fillies went out together.

That said, when you are sales-prepping, they need to be in during the heat of the day. We had 17 to prep one year, and just me & another girl. So, just getting the stalls cleaned, all the horses walked, bathed & groomed(each horse a minimum of 30 minutes!), it took nearly the whole day. And try to groom a sweaty horse...yuk!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat May 14, 2011 11:02 am

LB

were the fillies in those pictures shod??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat May 14, 2011 1:28 pm

griff wrote:LB

were the fillies in those pictures shod??

griff

No they weren't. As I posted above, our yearlings don't get shod until right before the sale. They don't need shoes at home.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm

We always did things similar to the way LB did as well. Everyone was in during the heat of the day (no matter if they were headed for the sales or not, mares too). They come in no later than 10:00 am and go out depending on the weather sometime by 7 pm and sometime 9 pm. They stay inside whenever it storms or if they are calling for storms. None of the sale yearlings had shoes until a couple of days before the sale. I only had one mare that needed shoes and we worked on her to toughen up her feet until she was able to go barefoot.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 am

I'm on the same page as you LB :) I only shoe the sales yearlings within seven to ten days before the sale. I do seperate the colts but the fillies remain on group turn out. I have them inside by 9am and out by 6pm. They are very content to be caught and brought in for the day as they also have fans, shade and relief from horse flies. I prefer hand walking the yearlings for fitness, I also find that it is most effective for manners and they learn how to walk forward. I am fortunate to have a thirty acre field with some hills for their "training" - great way to keep in shape for the summer too ;)

I've never heard of a trainer or other potential buyer complain or dismiss a horse because of a bite from another horse. Fillies can absolutely be tough on one another however they are not nearly as aggressive to each other as colts are. Colts will come in with hematomas, stitchable wounds and big leg bumps if they are kept together :o In all - a long way from their heart but detrimental with regards to sales figures.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"