Have to buckle down and decide

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Have to buckle down and decide

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello all!...
I am trying to decide on which stallion to bred to in Ca. with my mare. How can I find sales results.
I have been to Thoroughbred times, the stallion directory and equineline but equineline charges.
The stallions that I am interested in don't have the information posted onto those sites so I need some help
Karen

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:04 pm

If the stallions you're interested in have a page on the BloodHorse Stallion Register, you can find all their auction results there.

If not, you can go to each auction house website, and do a search of the stallions' names in the results of previous sales.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Karen,
Most of the stallions you will be interested in will have had yearlings or 2 year olds sell at Barretts in the last few years. It will be painstaking, but all the results from all of their sales are listed on their website, and you can see the results from each sale.
Happy hunting!

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:03 pm

I have a question for all you guys and girls out there.

Since the market is low right now. Would you rather breed to a stallion with a lower stud fee? And hope to make a little profit vs. breeding to a stallion ( well Known) and getting no profit at the sale?
K

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:27 pm

karenkarenn wrote:I have a question for all you guys and girls out there.

Since the market is low right now. Would you rather breed to a stallion with a lower stud fee? And hope to make a little profit vs. breeding to a stallion ( well Known) and getting no profit at the sale?
K

Unless you have a spectacular mare, and you then have a spectacular foal, you will not make a profit at the sale. You will be lucky to break even.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:28 pm

karenkarenn wrote:Since the market is low right now. Would you rather breed to a stallion with a lower stud fee? And hope to make a little profit vs. breeding to a stallion ( well Known) and getting no profit at the sale?

If those were my only two choices, I probably wouldn't breed at all.

Anyone who's breeding right now should be aiming to produce something that they would want to race because in the current market there's very little profit to be had anywhere. Chances are, you'll be the one who gets the horse to the track.

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree with LB. I have a foal this year that I knew we would keep even though we're technically a "commercial" operation. But I knew if I was going to breed the mare I had to be responsible for the resulting foal since it's commercial viability was limited.

If you're not willing to race the resultant foal, regardless of it's quality, then you shouldn't breed under the current circumstances.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am

No No I don't think you guys got the point
Contract states that I HAVE to rebred to a Ca. Stallion. So regardless of commercial or racing I still have to do it.
So in other words I am looking for advice because I AM going to bred next year.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 am

karenkarenn wrote:No No I don't think you guys got the point
Contract states that I HAVE to rebred to a Ca. Stallion. So regardless of commercial or racing I still have to do it.
So in other words I am looking for advice because I AM going to bred next year.

Ok. Then I still don't think it makes much difference who you breed your mare to unless she is viably commercial, if you have any intention of selling. The only CA stallions that sold reasonably well in the last two years at Barretts were Bertrando and Tribal Rule. But those stallions also sold horribly if bred to a marginal mare.
Pick a CA stallion that you like that matches up well physically and hope for the best. I would not spend more on a stallion fee in hopes of making a little profit, because that may not happen, and you will be disappointed.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 am

I dont think you're being clear on the mares value to produce sales babies.,, if you're mares doesn't have a history of producing babies who bring GREAT numbers at the sale then you are in the breeding to race market by default.

By that token it's going to be years (if ever you see a profit) so it doesn't even matterstud fee value right now. I would breed to a proven sire of winners.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:48 am

OKay dokey

Heres s list--
Please feel free to add.
Kafwain-- at a good price
Bertrando -- Maybe
Marino Marini - he s on the down side of the list because Racing wise my side hasn't done well with storm cat lines however he has been doing well in Ca.
Decarchy - one of my favs. Hey i like him
Bob Black Jack --- If I can get to him, IF IF Hes a stallion then
Thorn Song - Unbridled song
Singletary
Desert Code
Safe in the USA
Dixie chatter

Some are new - some are not new. I don't mind racing the baby since my mare is going to take 2013 off. I don't mind selling the baby, Either way its fine.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 pm

What is the mare's name?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

vallygirl927
Allowance Winner

Postby vallygirl927 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Breeding to stallions in CA is tough. There really isn't much out here. The only stallion I bred to in CA was Stormin Fever, and luckily, I got a really nice filly. She probably isn't commercial for the sales (lack of blacktype), but she's such a good lookin girl I may have some luck selling her privately, or even getting partners on her down the road. So, I agree with the others, breed to a stallion who "fits" your mare really well. Then, at the very least, you may get a good racehorse. My other mare has been bred to Thunder Gulch. In the event that she takes, I may have some luck at a Barretts sale with that one if it is a physical standout since it would be a registered Cal Bred and selling against the likes of the Benchmarks, Tribal Rules etc.

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 pm

karenkarenn wrote:OKay dokey

Heres s list--
Please feel free to add.
Kafwain-- at a good price
Bertrando -- Maybe
Marino Marini - he s on the down side of the list because Racing wise my side hasn't done well with storm cat lines however he has been doing well in Ca.
Decarchy - one of my favs. Hey i like him
Bob Black Jack --- If I can get to him, IF IF Hes a stallion then
Thorn Song - Unbridled song
Singletary
Desert Code
Safe in the USA
Dixie chatter

Some are new - some are not new. I don't mind racing the baby since my mare is going to take 2013 off. I don't mind selling the baby, Either way its fine.

Stay away from Bob Black Jack. You don't know if he will be any better than his sire. Stay away from all the newbies, although I just saw Dixie Chatter and he is gorgeous. Bertrando is still too expensive, and I don't think they are dropping his price. Don't make an exception for Marino Marini if Storm Cats don't fit your mare. Kafwain has had some success, he might do if he fits your mare (although his success right now is due to mares he bred before he came to CA).
My favorite on your list is Decarchy.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:46 pm

If there were a winking icon here I would use it Doc.
----- :P
K