Possible Brindle TB mare

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 am

Truecolours that really looks the same ! I will ask the owners if she had the white when she was born, she did not have the brindling when she was very young its developed they say as she has gotten older, which would be right for Brindle I believe, she daughter or a least i think its a filly has been born with the white so i expect the anwser to be she had it from birth. :D
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

TrueColours wrote:I would also love to know why - on Splodge - the brindle markings are lighter than her base coat colour, on Nightlight they are lighter as well and on Faux Finish they are darker???

If it's a chimerism situation that's just the color the other embryo was, it could have been virtually any color/shade. If she's not chimeric I couldn't tell you but it does seem that all brindles have varying colors and patterns of brindling.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am

aethervox wrote:There's a lot of information about brindle coat color in horses at http://www.justabrindlehorse.com/brindle-horses/brindle-coats/

Since Lady Starlight hasn't passed the brindle coloration to her foals, she may be a chimera (two fertilized eggs fuse in the womb - some cells get one color the others get another).

There's an article about chimera brindles at http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/MKundinger/oneinamillion.pdf

Hope this info is useful.

Thank you so much for this link I pressed join on her Facebook page and asked if she wouldnt mind me posting the pictures of the mare Splodge away Splodge has now come good as a Brindle ! so thank you Guys your nevr far away from the anwser! the owners are of course thrilled and their mare wll hopefully go down in History.

part of the email from this very kind lady
Yep she is a brindle and to be honest she doesn't have the typical marks of a horse with "chimerism" I could be wrong but my guess is by these pic's she would test Neg. on Chimerism.
There is a test for that now (-:

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am

angrovestud wrote:part of the email from this very kind lady
Yep she is a brindle and to be honest she doesn't have the typical marks of a horse with "chimerism" I could be wrong but my guess is by these pic's she would test Neg. on Chimerism.
There is a test for that now (-:

Really? Because these are proven chimeras:

Maybe I'm missing something.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 pm

I thought she looked like a classic chimera too. Bay or Brown + chestnut. Were there any problems with the DNA of her foals? Is this a situation where she's producing two kinds of eggs, or is she only producing one kind?

Sort of a secondary thought: Can a chimera be identified if the two embryos were the same color? If not, might this be an explanation of some of the successful racers who were duds at stud? Mr Speedy did the racing and Mr not so speedy controlled the swimmers.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:23 am

No no problems with anything to do with DNA but I do not own the horse
I an only going on what this very kind breeder tells me. I am sure the owner will get her tested.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:48 pm

xfactor fan wrote:I thought she looked like a classic chimera too. Bay or Brown + chestnut. Were there any problems with the DNA of her foals? Is this a situation where she's producing two kinds of eggs, or is she only producing one kind?

Sort of a secondary thought: Can a chimera be identified if the two embryos were the same color? If not, might this be an explanation of some of the successful racers who were duds at stud? Mr Speedy did the racing and Mr not so speedy controlled the swimmers.

LOL yes that could happen too. Usually they are just duds though.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:26 am

Just a thought perhaps what makes her a brindle is the adition of the white as this is very odd markings

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:19 am

In thinking on this ... I wonder if Puchilingui was the originator of the brindle markings on my 2 mares and possibly on the colt? Something that is genetically "there" but is skipping generations?

Ive seen and owned enough direct Puchilingui offspring - mares and stallions - and none exhibited the brindle markings, but I wonder if it is something that skips generations? Is that possible?

Looking at Puchilingui, he does have some very different and "unique" markings for sure! :)

But nothing with him screams "brindle" in the slightest, does it???

So - then I wonder - in my case - if its something through the dam line - She's A Trap, the dam of Puchi Trap - that is causing the brindle markings to appear???

I cant see that its through Guaranteed Gold - other than these full siblings, the brindle markings have never appeared on any other foals

Just one of those things making me go "hmmmm ..." this morning :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 am

Donna,

The markings that you posted look like some version of Bloody Shoulder markings, not brindle.

My understanding of the process is that --for example in a gray horse--Red base coat with a gray modifier, in the usual course of events, the gray gene causes the red pigment cells to super produce pigment and burn themselves out. The Bloody shoulder is an area where for some reason the gray gene has either been "lost" or is inactive.

Are there any cases of Bloody Shoulders in Puchi Trap's family?

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:44 am

I disagree. The shape and movement of Faux Finish's marking looks far more brindle than bloody shoulder (which is more commonly a patchy type thing, not a drippy line type thing).

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I would never describe FF's marking as a "bloody shoulder" marking either

I'll see if I can get some updated pictures of that area to post to see how much it has / hasnt grown since those were taken as a yearling ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Here's a few of Faux Finish last year with her filly:

While its definately gotten wider and grown its nowhere near the example of what angrovestud has posted! :)

angrove- do you know if Splodge was born with all of the brindle markings that she has now or did they grown and develop over the years? I'd love to see baby pictures of her if her breeder has some to share! :)

Thanks so much - she is a very unique case for sure! :)
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/colors/bloodmarks.html

Nice collection of Bloody Shoulder markings here.

The site says that the markings get larger over time, and that they are looking for an example of gold markings. Also they seem to follow family lines, not just random spots happening.

RiddleMeThis
Allowance Winner

Postby RiddleMeThis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 pm

They may follow a line, but they are not "lines".

And Ive certainly never seen a bloody shoulder look anything like this

It looks like CLASSIC brindling that looks nothing like a bloody shoulder.
Check out my Equine Genetics blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/