opinions wanted...UBS / Silvery Swan filly

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

Toccet02
Leading Sire

opinions wanted...UBS / Silvery Swan filly

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:14 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/65000/unbridleds-song-filly-brings-1-million

Silvery Swan has never been bred to UBS before. But this looks like a nice filly and the buyer sounds like she knows about the soundness issues with UBS. What do you think the odds are of this filly earning back her purchase price at the track?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:16 pm

----Arrested Development

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 am

Nil.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:33 am

:wink: kinds my thinking...what are the chances of her making say $300K at the track?
What do you think of breeding Silvery Swan to the infamous Unbridled's Song?

----Arrested Development

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Toccet02 wrote::wink: kinds my thinking...what are the chances of her making say $300K at the track?

I'd say it was a smart move that paid dividends for her breeders. Her purchase price speaks volumes, especially since she was an immature May foal. That usually cuts a commercial foal's value significantly.

I also think the fact she's a May foal will help her. Unbridled's Song's are often too precocious for their own good and the fact she's a little immature and late will mean she'll get extra time.

With her pedigree, her value as a racehorse does not affect her value as a broodmare, unless she becomes a blacktype filly. If she does, the 1 million was a bargain. If she never steps foot on the track, and if she can produce anything like herself, that 1 million+ will be made back within two foals.

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 am

Zahrah, I think you're a bit behind the times. Without her own black-type her foals will be Book 2 or 3 sale horses. There are lots of costly, well-bred mares whose foals dont come close to bailing out their owners.

As most of us know it's a lot easier to buy a horse than to sell one.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am

Toccet02 wrote::wink: kinds my thinking...what are the chances of her making say $300K at the track?

What are the chances of any TB earning 300K at the track? Very very small.

This filly, however, starts with two important benefits that most TBs don't have. Her dam's produce record places her (the dam) among the top 1% of all TB producers. 7 of her 9 offspring have raced, 6 of those are winners. 3 of those 6, an incredible 50%, are graded stakes winners, 2 of them G1 winners. She has an additional G1 placed horse. You can't do much better than that for high class production.

The filly's second benefit is her sire, one of the top producing TB stallions in the world. The fact that he is infamous (on the internet) doesn't negate the fact that his offspring generally have a lot of talent and that they compete in, and win, the top races.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:25 pm

they do...they just tend to get injured and retire early, according to my own observations

----Arrested Development

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 am

There are plenty of good, sound Unbridled's Song runners, and plenty who have soundness problems -- just like pretty much every other major sire. In 2011 alone, some of Unbridled's Song's stakes horses include 5-year-olds Unrivaled Belle, Ravi's Song, and La Verita, and 4-year-olds Mission Impazible, Embur's Song, Mystic. And how do you explain Thorn Song, Political Force, Warbling, Even the Score, and dozens of other UBS runners who made plenty of starts and trained on past their 3-year-old seasons?
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:19 am

Good point Michael. Perhaps the soundness issue is skewed by high profile UBS's on the Derby Trail year after year going down prior to the first Saturday in May..
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 am

yes Zinn, that's definitely part of it. Unless I get a report of every TB injury, I can only go by what the media reports or what info I stumble upon, so while I do keep records, they by nature end up being skewed by high profile horses. There's no doubt UBS passes along talent, but it seems the horses have to be in patient hands? And yes, I have made note of Political Force and the others you mention. PF is built like a tank.

----Arrested Development