Keeneland - wow.

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 am

I think you can't complain AT ALL. You are a heckuvalot better off than the poor sod that paid the $65K stud fee on Henrythenavigator in 2009 and then got $30K for the weanling. Ditto on the Broken Vow, whose fee was $35K in 2009 and you picked up the weanling for $8K.. but don't expect a lot from book six.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 am

Discovery wrote:I was really upset that the henry went for so little. He was one of the better looking henrys I had seen. The good thing is that both went to people I had approached, and are really good homes. Henry went to a Japanese guy that lives locally, even he couldn't believe he got him for that price. The broken vow went to dale romans who I think will really love her. So far I've sold 2 through the ring and one privately. I paid 70k for 5 weanlings, and have sold 3 for 132k. I have 2 more to sell in book 6. I guess I can't complain too much. I was just a bit disappointed.
'

Well it sure is better than what might have been. Hopefully you'll be in the black and have some good experience out of the exercise.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 am

I'll upload photos of both today. I was really happy with the Lawyer Ron. He was a champ and was bought by the gentleman who bought DRILL. He bought 2 Lawyer Ron colts one for 47k and ours at 65k. Nick Hines said it was no comparison that our colt looked better than Drill did as a yearling, but we didnt have the page behind us to push us up a few books or he would have been looking at paying 6 figures for our colt as well.

The Street Boss was no surprise at 5k. She was small. Nice balance to her, but small. You just cant sell a small horse in book 4. If you can, you are very lucky. She went to a Russian buyer but he is going to keep her local and race her in KY. So we are happy.

Lots of foreign money at this sale. I speak for 31 (and counting) yearlings on our farm purchased to be exported to Russia. Amazing beautiful yearlings, pricey as well! Dynaformer, G-Causeway, Afleet Alex, Tale of The Cat, City Zip, Curlin, Street Sense.. Just fantastic blood that will do very well in their programs.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 am

correction. He bought Drill's brother, and another LR colt.

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 am

This sale reinforced more than ever that you just can not take a short legged horse through the ring and not expect to be big time penalized by the buyers. Some friends of mine at Taylor Made told me that they have never seen the predjudice against small horses to such an extreme. One of them was a partner in a Medaglia dOro that was a small filly, fantastic page and vetted out fine, sold for $19,000. He thinks she will be a stakes horse. It is nothing but a pure beauty contest, the smart money was buying fine bred horses with flaws for a third of the stud fees. Many will outrun the million dollar show horses from book 1.