Sound, Hard Knockers

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:21 am

that 22 % batting average will keep the oats coming into his stall...

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:14 am

Me Me Anna is a NFB, that has inherited her soundness thru those golden NP stallions & mares. Let those non believers breed for fashion, they will never learn the soundness game.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:33 am

Anna Nicole had hard knockers, I don't know how sound she was.

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

xx
Last edited by Shergar on Sat May 12, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 am

Onward!

Maybe someone needs to write a little stakes race for 10yo and up.

Track could make it a 'senior citizens' special event. Special accommodations for seniors, bring in some retired jockeys/trainers/horses for meet and greet. When was the last time a track ever tried to reach out to OLDER patrons?

jm

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:18 pm

xx
Last edited by Shergar on Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmccarthy9
Yearling

Re: Sound, Hard Knockers

Postby cmccarthy9 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:22 am

Joltman wrote:Most of the time when somebody says 'hard knocker' it usually means no speed or not competitive. Here's an interesting family esp. the mares/ff of hard knockers.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/dr+zachary+mason

Two full sisters with earnings over $300k and 50+ starts but no black type. FF goes back to the Harold Rose stable, Pia Mia, and ff of Hals hope and a lot of black type a couple generations back.

So, from my view, there are some interesting things here - the ability to earn money for a long time, most run at 2, almost all of the horses are runners and winners. No ND blood so there are outcross possibilities.

so, does anybody else find potential value in breed to race prospects of Queen Hypolita or Pu Dew? Everybody whines that there's no soundness out there but here's a family with over $1.1 million, in about 250 starts.(Dr Mont e brook is a winner at 2 this year and just getting going). I would be curious as to what these horses look like in terms of conformation. Must have something going for them.

jm

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED- QUEEN HYPOLITA IS AVAILABLE FREE TO A GOOD HOME!! She would make a great broodmare as she has soo much heart and is a tank of a mare! Please PM me for details! She is located in Pennsylvania!

Here is a link to her win picture last year until I can get pictures...http://www-equiphoto-com.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Philadelphia-Park-Win-Photos-07-2010/G0000CQaVh5QS21E/I0000F5SlMS8bg30/P0000vb4Ti747GRc

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Greetings

Did you race her?

What's she been doing since her last race?

Did you consider breeding her perhaps?

jm

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Queen Hypolita has an interesting pedigree. She is a total outcross, but the next generation back her BM sire Rexsons Hope is inbred to full brothers Nazrullah and Nazami (top and bottom), Nearco, and Bull Lea. Throw in a repeat of Lavendula (dam of Ambiorix and Source Sucree, dam of Turn-To) and you have a lot of potent stuff just behind the scenes.

Lucky Lionel has two occurences of Nasrullah on the dam side, but again its back a generation. So you have an outcross, with lots of sire power not very far back (plus the dams behind the sires)

Yet soundness, with this inbreeding back a generation was obviously not a problem.

jm

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:17 pm

So what kind of Mid Atlantic stallion would you choose for Queen Hypolita?

Prospect bay would get a 2S X 4D to Crafty Prospector. ????

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Griff, in another post I recommended Señor Swinger.

(Hey look! My new mac puts the ñ in for me!)

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:37 pm

griff wrote:So what kind of Mid Atlantic stallion would you choose for Queen Hypolita?

Prospect bay would get a 2S X 4D to Crafty Prospector. ????

griff

Maybe consider a couple of doses of Northern Dancer.

Would be fun to breed a mare like this to a consistent sort like Northern Afleet. I'd be you would would get another sound, runner.

jm

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks for the recommendations.

Northern Afleet & Senor Swinger are both nice stallions and Senor swinger is a PA stallion which i like; however his first foals are 2 YOs and so far have not done much.. There is certainly time for these 2 YOs to make their daddy but I will opt for other stallions, probably some WV stallions I have access to like Civilisation.

As has been reported, I did indeed think Civilisation would be akin to the second coming, but, thus far he has not lived up to my expectations. I still believe his pedigree is sierra hotel and there's got to be a G-1 in there some where..

Also, my experience with his get is they are slow to mature and most, if not all, have been raced before they are ready.

Maybe Queen Hypolita will help fix that, especially, if we on't start any serious stress training until the foal is really really ready.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

foothillsequine
Allowance Winner

Postby foothillsequine » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:08 am

I think yesterday was this guy's 105th start. Amazing, he is still winning at 12 years old!

http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/PM111611USA5.pdf

So how old is too old to race?
~Dare to Dream~

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:05 pm

It is a credit to his conditioners - keeping him sound, in good flesh. Racing him where he belongs. There's got to be some solid horsemanship to go this long.

jm