Starved weanlings in Pa. need help

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Starved weanlings in Pa. need help

Postby Bohemia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:32 am

Just a horrible story out of Littlestown, Pa. the past week ... thoroughbred weanlings were abandoned and found starving on a farm in Littlestown, Pa., the Adams Co. SPCA has taken them but sadly two have died, one of them shown on the SPCA's web site.

The "caretaker" of these weanlings, James Houseman, is now facing multiple animal cruelty charges in Pa. and Maryland.

http://www.abc27.com/story/16113631/car ... I.facebook

Dana Point Farm in Lenhartsville, Pa. is spearheading a fundraising effort for these babies. Dana Point is donating 2 percent of its purse earnings from now until Christmas towards their care. They are asking other Pa. owners to follow suit, if possible.

http://meyersshelter.org/

Even if you're not a Pa. owner, every little bit will help. The Adams Co. SPCA does not have the facilities to care for so many horses, and their resources are strapped. The weanlings will eventually be available for adoption, but not immediately due to their health and the pending charges against Houseman.
Last edited by Bohemia on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 am

letter received from farm where horses come from Star Barn.:

I could not access the website. Please identify yourself. I can shed light on this story if you will please identify yourself or meet me at our farm.

I know for a fact that none of the horses from Star Barn were starved, abused or neglected.

I know for a fact that Mr. Houseman was not charged with anything. The weanlings from Star Barn were evaluated by a licensed vet just two days before being illegal seized. The vet took pictures and evaluated the weanlings as in excellent condition.

I know for a fact that the two horses that were euthanized had been under veterinary care for some time before be seized. Mr. Houseman wanted to give them every chance to survive before putting them down. The vets that I mentioned are willing to testify if Mr. Houseman is ever charged will anything.

Not only did the group take the horses without a warrant or investigate, they also stole buckets, feed tubs, fence panels, feed and feed barrels from Mr. Houseman.

The people behind this falsely accused me and my wife of sending horses to slaughter and have harassed me for the last 5 months. My wife has never owned a horse or been employed by one who has owned horses.

A PA License vet that Star Barn and its clients used and a couple of Star Barn employees helped these people sabotage Star Barn Thoroughbreds @ Agrarian Country and my career.

It appears to me that this is a fraudulent fundraising ploy. It is also smell of extortion. They make a lot of false accusation and cause the targeted owners a lot of psychological grief and economic duress, just to get donations and put Thoroughbred owners out of business. Two of the ex-employees got Star Barn horses in this manner and one horse in particular has gone down hill since leaving.

We are gathering evidence for a class action against this group and their associates. If you have anything that might help, please let me know. They give legitimate charitable organizations a bad name. These people are mean-spirited and will go to any extreme get donations and put Thoroughbred owners out of business.

This group’s primary stated objective is to see the demise of Thoroughbred racing. If you are a Thoroughbred owner, you should be aware.

Paul
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:25 am

May be stories should be checked
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Houseman charged - from today's Gettysburg Times:

BY JENNA STINSON Times Staff Writer | 0 comments
James Houseman III, boarder of the 21 horses seized in Littlestown in mid November, will be charged with 22 counts of animal cruelty, according to Adams County District Attorney Fawn Smith.
The horses were seized from a Littlestown farm on Nov. 16. The 21 young horses were all found in various states of diminishing health. The Adams County SPCA seized the horses after the farm owner, who leased the space to Houseman, contacted them with concerns for the horses' health. One horse was found dead on the farm, and since then, two others have died.

Bohemia
Starters Handicap

Postby Bohemia » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Another weanling has died:

http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_19488207

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 pm

i transferred all this to Paul of star farm

Wired4Success
Newborn

Any response from Paul Truitt??

Postby Wired4Success » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Sylvie Hebert wrote:i transferred all this to Paul of star farm

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Nothing yet...