Funding restored for inspection of horse meat

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Funding restored for inspection of horse meat

Postby Georgerz » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34 am

i saw this in the BH:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... nspections

just can't wait to see peta's reaction.

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Lifting the ban on horse slaughter: Why Peta says its a good idea
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1130/Lifting-horse-slaughter-ban-Why-PETA-says-it-s-a-good-idea

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:02 pm

IcouldbeU wrote:Lifting the ban on horse slaughter: Why Peta says its a good idea
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1130/Lifting-horse-slaughter-ban-Why-PETA-says-it-s-a-good-idea

The main reason PETA is OK with it now, is because their radical tyrant buddy in the Whitehouse did it. If it had been GWB they'd be screaming bloody murder.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:22 pm

I just find it beyond hysterical that our president has blocked construction of a pipeline from Canada, to deliver an essential component in the manufacture of diesel (which is a major reason for the astronomical price of diesel) for the "environment" since he is looking at the next election, yet he has restored the unbelievably controversial "horse slaughter".. was he actually aware that he was doing that or is he really that dumb?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:22 pm

well it just confirm what i have seen over the years,b**** people in general don't care much about animals...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 am

Could be the politicians have finally discovered that the anti-slaughter lobby is more active and load than numerous; i.e., the silent majority finally prevales

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, the ban has been lifted but you don't see any enterprising slaughter houses rushing to get licenses. No packing or processing corporations want to take it on the chin, like the last three, when it comes to their public reputations and their bottom lines.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 am

you are right Shammy. Why would a sane business man invest money to start a business that could be shut down after the next election?

griff

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 am

Shammy they have been. And they don't need a lisc to gather horses to send them. Go to Utah and Nv. You'll see . We have one that posts ads for horses everyday in our paper.
He's been gathering for six months now.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:49 am

Start checking the label on dog food. Does anyone know if "bone meal" has to be identified as to the source? The larger feed mills probably started accepting equine product as soon as legistlation passed. In fact it wouldn't suprise me if they were the push behind legislation. The American pet food companies got a boon with all the bad press regarding deaths from imported pet food. Anyone follow Purina's stock value?
Bone meal as fertilizer is probably another big end use for equines. Who's the big fertilizer company? All I can think of is Pure-Gro but I don't even know what their product is off the top of my head. There wouldn't be much need to open new slaughter facilities.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:10 pm

i've been to slaughter houses and the ones I am familiar with are kind of specialized; i.e., the kill pins for cows and pigs are very different.. I suppose you can adapt a cattle kill pin to accomodate horses but I don't think many will do it.

And if the do, what are they going to do with the product? Not only have we lost the slaughter houses but we have have also lost the infra structor. I suppose it coud be brought back if someone wanted to take that investment risk but it ain't out there now.

griff