"popping a splint"

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

"popping a splint"

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 pm

I need all of your help.

My unraced filly was just getting ready to get into her first race (of course) and I found out now today she has "popped a splint"

I am devastated :cry: She was doing so well in training at the training center even running with the colts, and other fillies, doing so well, then she comes back like this.

I'm sure many of you trainers/owners/etc. have had this problem happen, and I'm wondering what you did to heal the runner? My main worry is her, I was there when she was born, so she is special to me. Don't know if I should give it up on her as I have four others ready to go to the training center.

Can anyone give me any info. on this as far as what you did? I did read some info on the internet, but I have found I get more info from you all than anywhere. Thank you all so much..

:cry: :cry: :cry:
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splints

If it is hot and sore, then topical treatment, wrapping and rest are the only ways I know to cure a popped splint. I have heard that some vets will recommend pin firing a splint but I can't really see how that makes it heal FASTER..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Brogan
2yo Maiden

Postby Brogan » Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Just take a deep breath and relax. This is a common occurence in a younger horse.

Topicals and rest and she'll be fine.

I always try to tell people that its a game of setbacks. How well you manage each one determines the final outcome.

Good luck.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Thank you so much Madelyn and Brogan.

The filly is taken care of very well, gone over every day, and like I said she was just getting ready to start, then this happens. I know its just one "of those things that happen" but still to know that when she was so close totally ruins things. I'm worried about her, first and foremost, and I know she is getting treatment on the leg. She has a small paddock at the training center to go out into but that is as much as we will let her go.

Thank you guys so much, Brogan, I see you can tell I am worked up about this, I will try to RELAX... and thank you so much Madelyn for the link to read about the issue.

I appreciate all of you very much!

casallc
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby casallc » Thu May 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Don't worry about it it is common as dirt on young horses. Don't let anyone pinfire her, the only help it does is to force you to rest her. Accept the small set back and let it heal it's not the end of the world.
There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.
- Alexis de Tocqueville

Brogan
2yo Maiden

Postby Brogan » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Remember...the best trainers and the best owners are the ones that are willing to give their horses TIME when they need it. This is especially important with young horses.

I agree with the previous post about pin firing...its just a forced lay up period in almost all cases, as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck!

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed May 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for all the information friends,

She will not be pin fired ever, she is on therapy and rest, poor thing.
She was just at the point of getting her gate card and this happened.
I guess that is the down part of the business though.

May I ask; Once something like this happens, does this make the horse more likely to break down if they make it to the track again? If so, I won't even want to run her at all. Life is more important than having a tragedy.

Again, thank you all so very much.

:lol: :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Most splint bones eventually fuse to the bone they are next to by the time the horse is full grown. In my experience, it is a splint that is not allowed to heal that can give trouble later.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed May 16, 2012 7:29 pm

"Popping a splint" is actually an injury of the ligament that attaches the splint bone to the cannon bone. The bones themselves are not involved at all. It heals with calcium which is why it will be hard. If allowed to heal properly they never cause a problem again.

valjoe
Allowance Winner

Postby valjoe » Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 am

I have a mare that poped a splint after a lay off, she already had 15 starts, and then made another 25 with no problems, i never took her out of training, just took it easy for 6 weeks while kept icing it and DMSO with mud over it every day, and it completely went away, so don't worry about it.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:59 pm

The time off may not be a bad idea if she's young anyway. Let's her get her head together a little more. When she comes back she may be really ready to go!

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.