Changing color on papers

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 pm

What you are describing is exactly how greys become grey. They don't suddenly go kablooie and have dapples pop up. It depends on their family strain and gene complex as they develop. They can take years to completely grey out. If you are talking about a TB, you have a grey whether you want one or not. If she is showing grey hair now, on her next shed out she will be showing more. You just posted that she had no grey hair 3 weeks ago. You honestly believe that she isn't grey when her sire is and she's starting to grey out?
Believe what you want to believe. We'll go by actual scientific evidence. Get her DNA checked if you want to prove me wrong.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Had I asked the opinion on what each felt her color MAY end up in a year or so I would totally agree with you.....but I didn't....I asked if one would have to change papers (hence the subject line) on either a small or big change. I already knew the answer to the big change, I have had horses before with big changes on their papers, but like I said only a few white hairs and my question is would this justify a change? Again like I said I got my answer...I didn't ask what color she is, or would turn out to be...no one really knows, so I would never ask, and I already have my own guess on that...however I am NOT familiar with color change on horses for RACING on paper, having never had to do it myself, just owning horses that had it done before. So asking if there is a small change in color LIKE a FEW white hairs is a reasonable one to one that does not know. I did not want to get into a discussion on her FUTURE coat color....but if you like, we can start a new tread on that.

It would look very STUPID if I changed her papers to gray NOW and nothing came of it.....I bred for gray specifically and have seen ever type of change but I am sure there are some I have not seen.

But again the color she WILL be is not my question.

So you are telling me if you had a sorrel horse with lets say 100 white hairs here and there all of a sudden, you would change the papers NOW and you would change it to gray? I doubt you or anyone would.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Wed May 23, 2012 8:12 pm

ElPrado's response was the "snarky" one IMHO. I will not say this mare is gray. She could very easily have any other type of roaning and not be gray at all. To think someone thinking their own horse is not gray is so laughable is, well, laughable.

ckaye
Yearling

Postby ckaye » Wed May 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Since the whole grey thing is still up in the air, it may be worth the $25 to just test her.

Does she have other sabino or rabicano characteristic?

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 pm

I wish I could post a pic....not sure how to emphases that the white hairs she is showing are SO extremely minimal. And beside the few white hairs nothing elce has changed. She is the color of Accphoto's avatar picture, just a small blaze on her face though and some white socks...but the hairs are so few I just don't want to change anything unless I have to.

I should just do the test.

Her half sister, same sire, was born sorrel as well, and is now turning my version of chestnut...she will be a yr old in June.

So it is all very interesting. I am going to paper her as a chestnut as I have not seen any white hairs coming out.

ckaye
Yearling

Postby ckaye » Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 pm

The animal genetics people will give you a discount if you run more than one test, if you'd like to test the both of them. Call them to discuss, as I don't think it's anywhere on their website :)

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu May 24, 2012 4:49 am

If you plan to race, you will have to change the papers. Period. Else you run the risk that your horse will be rejected by the identifier in the paddock at its first race. Kicked out. Not allowed to run.

Perhaps, if the test is only $25, you might be better off to test before registering.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Thu May 24, 2012 5:20 am

You post here that you have white hair on her, then post that you don't? Which is it? You say that 15 days ago there wasn't but now there is... but she isn't changing color because you don't want her to. She's sired by a grey. She's changing at a normal time for greys to change color. But we're too dumb to know that because you don't want to wait long enough to have her tested. Perfect sense.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Thu May 24, 2012 7:19 am

May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Thu May 24, 2012 8:30 am

Bast wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Elprado...I have come to the conclusion you are an idiot....nothing you just posted was factually in any way, shape or form and nothing you said is what I said at all, and all you want to do is argue. Grow up.

And at a PHYICALLY the age of 2 years and 5 months old, she is NOT turning gray at a "typical" rate. You are a moron and obviously have never owned or bred a gray horse. You obviously only read in books and the ones with only pictures. A typical rate of graying is with in the first year and with in the first year anyone that knows a true gray can tell they will be a gray. Go bring back some numbers and stats and start another tread.

Please do come back and report back again what I am NOT saying and make it all about you.

And like I I have said I already GOT MY ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.....and again, if you want to start a new thread about graying I would be happy to entertain your stupid remarks and obvious lack of knowledge and educate you on the graying horses and what is normal and what is not, yet plausible, seeing I have a lot of experience with it and not with reading it from a book. It's what I do.

Oh and if you are going to say something I said, why don't you quote it....Oh that's right, because it was never said and you can't. I hope I am not the only one that sees that you are trying to make a conversation about a topic that is not listed here...some are getting in on it and I choose to ignore them as my questions was on paper work, not the future of my horses coat color....so try and pull yourself away from the mirror and get a grasp on the fact that you are WRONG and what you are trying to dispute does not BELONG here and was not ASKED for.....so go start a new tread and let's dance.

What are you....2?

Here is an example...Miss Feather River, I OWN THIS MARE....NO GRAY IN HER LINE UNTIL ABOUT 2 or 3 GENERATIONS BACK ON HER BOTTOM SIDE that is noticeable at a quick glance. Her papers where changed TWICE to ADD "Scattered white hairs throughout" Still listed on her papers as a dark bay but she got ALOT of white hairs so they changed her papers because she raced. MY QUESTION was if the few hairs my filly had would justify the change NOT IF SHE WILL BE GRAY!! This mare did not turn gray nor did the powers to be feel she was gray, but up close boy did she have ALOT of white hairs ALL OVER her body. But she was NOT gray!!

You really need to grow the hell up.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Madalyn...thanks I did get the answer...I just was not sure with the few hairs she is showing. I have seen horses have to change papers 2 and 3 times and was not sure if I should wait until told to do so and if they would feel the little hairs she does have justifies a change....but it looks like it does and may very well have to do it again later on if she changes again.

Not sure how this keeps getting off topic as all I wanted to know is if the small change would justify changing papers if racing...seems it will and I will have to go with the flow and get er done. I have never personal had to do a change so was not sure.

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Thu May 24, 2012 1:53 pm

oleos93 wrote:Elprado...I have come to the conclusion you are an idiot...

May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!

A horse gallops with his lungs

Perseveres with his heart

And wins with his character. --Tesio

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Thu May 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Bast wrote:
oleos93 wrote:Elprado...I have come to the conclusion you are an idiot...

Yeah, can we knock off the name calling before someone gets banned? Again? I think you and El Prado had a major miscommunication, oleo93, and I can see both sides of it.

There's no need for either one of you to be nasty.

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Thu May 24, 2012 2:35 pm

And actually, what I said was correct. There have been horses with one grey parent decide to grey suddenly at age 8, in history. It isn't my fault you haven't read about them.