Treating the Suspensory Tendon

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Treating the Suspensory Tendon

Postby karenkarenn » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Anyone out there has had any experience in treating a torn Suspensory tendon?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 am

Yes. Can take a year or more to heal and results are very dependent on the size/location of the tear. Suspensory is a ligament, not a tendon. It will also never be 100% sound again, ie the ligament can flare up.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

cewright
Allowance Winner

Postby cewright » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 am

We have had several horse suffer these injuries and all have returned to form. However it takes time. There are treatments that will sometimes improve the quality of the healing. However, I am not aware of anything that speeds up the healing process. My vet has had success at minimizing scar tissue with techniques such as stem cell therapy and PRP therapy. These treatments are not cheap but the feeling is the minimization of the scar tissue formation lessens the chance of re-injury. Another area that should be reviewed is foot care. Long toes/low heels are thought to increase the stress on suspensory apparatus. Talk to your vet and if your vet doesn't have the knowledge and experience needed go find one that does. You will get much better information from a vet than you will from any of us on an internet board. A suspensory injury can be career ending or just a hiccup depending on the severity and the treatment. A lot of the outcome is up to you.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:37 pm

A filly I bought as a just coming 2 year old severed hers from kicking a wood fence, and was told by previous owner the vets told her she would be nothing but a glorified brood mare.

At the time I had a vet intern boarding with me and 1 year later with religious treatment she was 100% sound. Vet cleared her for racing and she started her race training shortly after.

But I think every horse is different but gotta love the suscess stories, it gives hope.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 am

What I am worried about - is the scaring during the healing. She is 30 days away from the second ultra sound and the vet told me to do research online. Thats why I am posting this. She has heard of stem cell ect . not to waste anyones time but the scaring is the end result, thats what the vet told me is the doubt there. If it scars it will break again.
I don't know if I can race her or ride her in the mountains, jump her if there is a threat of it pulling away from the bone again.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am

If her ligament pulled away from the bone she needs to be put down. I am guessing you are not describing the injury accurately. Ligaments heal with scar tissue, there is no way to avoid that. Stem cell and such are attempts to help that happen faster.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:37 am

thats is exactly what I was told from our vet...
That it frayed from the bone. Not totally just a few strings.
Why do you think Laurie that she should be put done. Our vet didn't say that.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am

Oh I forgot cewright-
I am looking up PRP and where she can get it.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 am

The suspensory ligament SUSPENDS the fetlock. If it is no longer attached to the sesamoids her fetlock would be on the ground.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Laurie - please read this again..
Not totally just a few strings.

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Ok, sounds like you have it totally under control then. I believe the term is lesion in the fibers but whatever, your horse may have strings.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I have to default what her vet said....