Any experience with oral tumors?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

starlitlaughter
Yearling

Any experience with oral tumors?

Postby starlitlaughter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:37 pm

About a month ago I noticed that one of my horses, a retired 21yo TB mare, had started developing a swollen lump on the left side of her jaw, in the soft area between the mouth and the cheek. I had the vet out, and he told me (without much elaboration) that it was most likely a malignant tumor, for which she would need to go to a hospital to have a biopsy to confirm and have it removed (which, he said could cost a few thousand dollars, and is not in the cards...), but that it would probably return anyway. I inspected the growth the other day, and it appears to be about 2-3 inches long along the gumline, about an inch wide and an inch or so in height. It is very hard and dark red/purple in color.

She doesn't appear to be in any pain from it (I can touch it, press on it, etc without much of a reaction), but I believe it is affecting her ability to eat properly as she has lost weight and I can't seem to make an improvement on regaining it.

I've tried doing some research online, and saw a research study on osteosarcomas, which are supposedly rare in horses.

I want to do what's best for the horse, but also don't want to pour a lot of money into it if I'm just going to end up putting her down in the end anyway.

Has anyone else had or seen anything similar? What was the outcome?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 pm

I've treated sarcoids with Indian Bloodroot.. Care should be taken not to rupture the thing because if it is malignant you would be releasing all those cancer cells into your horse. Is the horse, by chance, a grey?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

starlitlaughter
Yearling

Postby starlitlaughter » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Thank you for the reply, Madelyn!

The horse is a bay, and up until this, has been very healthy for the last 16 years I've had her.

I have never heard of Indian Bloodroot, can you elaborate a bit on the use and treatment with it?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:43 pm

I have used bloodroot cream on external tumors - melanomas on greys, big sarcomas and sarcoids, and also to encourage more oranized tissue on a large injury that healed in a disorganized manner. More info here:
http://www.cancersalves.com/botanical_a ... droot.html

You can get a little tub for about $50, which seems like a lot, but the stuff does work.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 pm

I thought it was not to be ingested? This tumor sounds as if it is inside the mouth?