Pictures of these rare Australian TBs

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:38 pm

belambi wrote:Point number 6 on this newsletter from WCF is exciting!
http://www.winningcoloursfarm.com.au/Ne ... ch2012.htm

GREAT! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Any additional updated photos on this male descendant from Catch A Bird?
http://colorgenetics.info/equine/conten ... tch?page=2

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Just a short note to welcome a new Australian participant.
Please logon to the TARQUIN SILK topic and meet his owner.
Valerie, you are welcome.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Jorge wrote:Just a short note to welcome a new Australian participant.
Please logon to the TARQUIN SILK topic and meet his owner.
Valerie, you are welcome.

I would like to pose a suggestion to all of our Australian/New Zealand color breeders regarding two strains that proudly belongs to both:

Is there any posibility of saving from almost extinction the uninterrupted grey-tail-male lineage of Dancer's Image, who at the present solely survives through TARQUIN SILK (grey h 1999)? The suggestion is to combine him with one of Catch A Bird's genuinely phenotyped Roan granddaughters with the purpose of achieving, either more roans, or more grey males in order to preserve Dancer's Image's grey-tail-male lineage. Wouldn't be nice if both camps would combine efforts in order to achieve their particular goals?

Keep in mind that at the present, Australia and New Zealand are the sole keepers of both surviving strains.

Thanks in advance for your valuable participation and opinions.

(p.s. For more information please refer to the TARQUIN SILK topic
posted here.)

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

From a color breeders perspective , the last thing someone breeding for a coat pattern wants is to end up with a white horse. Which all greys become with age. Which is why Appaloosa breeders really frown on breeding to greys.

belambi
Allowance Winner

Postby belambi » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 am

USA is the only country that alows the use of grey in appaloosa breeding program

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 am

It may be allowed, but is strongly discouraged.

tarquinsilk1999
Newborn

Color of a Horse

Postby tarquinsilk1999 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Surely an Appaloosa is a different breed entirely to a Thoroughbred, even though there is often TB in a pedigree of the Appaloosa. However I think Jorge was relating to the Grey tail mae lineage of my Stallion TARQUIN SILK being by ASteady Eddy(Gr) by Go Dancer(Gr) by Dancers Image(Gr) by Native Dancer(Gr), and he was asking if any breeders who want to keep alive this Grey line were interested in breeding to Tarquin, as I am further told he is the last known Sire carrying these bloodlines, as his Sire Steady Eddy recently passed on(died). Mty Appaloosa i had was by Cawnal Magic Devil a blanket spot Appaloosa Sire out of my Mare REDLUA TB (Ch), my Filly's name was MISTRAL a most magnificent sopecimen in color of an appaloosa anybody had ever seen, i leased her to a breeder where i am told she was bitten by a snake,IF IT IS TRUE some say they have since seen her, she was NOT branded when i leased her, and it would have been easy to brand her in anothers name and issue false documentation. Never mind years ago now. I am not breeding any more horses, so Tarquins line will die out also.
I have a few brood mares and a T.B.Stallion, and his Son whp is a 3 year old

fluer
Newborn

tarquin silk - grey tail

Postby fluer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Given that the color gene has passed through from Native Dancer, I wonder if any of the gene experts can comment on the performance capabilities also being passed on. ie is there any history of color and ability genes being linked. Would appreciate and commentry.
Roan one

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Chestnuts were supposed to be flighty, and greys could run all day.

Old English saying.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Roguelet wrote:Image

Nice shot of TARQUIN SILK (grey H 1999)
Hope that some of our Australian breeders
may help preserve his grey-tail-male lineage legacy.

Not only for the benefice of Dancer's Image's
grey-tail-male lineage legacy but at the same time
for the benefice of Native Dancer himself, for I haven't
detected any new preservable descendant from the Gray Ghost.

But since this thread is devoted to "roans" let me return to
the main topic. I don't see any contradiction in trying to
creatively combine both interests in a way to help promote both,
for the benefice of both.

Remember the saying that goes that "one hand washes the other".

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Jorge,

This may be an issue were we will have to agree to disagree.

The genetics work out this way, making a couple of assumptions.

First the grey horse in question carries only one copy of the grey gene, and second the Roans in Australia follow the same rules as roans in other breeds, and that the roan and grey gene are on different chromosomes.

Crossing a roan with a non roan results in a 50% chance of roan, and 50% chance of non roan.

Ditto with crossing a grey with a non grey. 50/50 on either color.

The numbers change when you start crossing greys and roans.

There will be 25% chance of Roan
There will be 25% chance of Grey
There will be 25% chance of Roan + Grey which will turn white with age.
There will be 25% chance of Non roan, non grey

So if you are trying to breed roans, your chances of getting the color you want drops by half. And the horse that carries the roan and grey gene together is going to turn white hiding the roan coat.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with either color, or grey horses in particular. But if the breeding program is designed to produce a particular color other than grey, this is a color to avoid.

Zahrah
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Zahrah » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:17 am

Is Bletchingly a source of color?

This colt from the September sale was WILDLY marked. http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep12/pdfs/3100.pdf

He was a bright chestnut but had a belt of roaning around his center with stomach splashes. He also had a true skunk tail.

People were stopping and taking photos of him while he was out. The woman who bought him is going to race him but also market him to QH mares from what I understand.

I bet if you contacted Four Stars they'd share some photos of him. I know Frances Karon was snapping some pics of him before he sold. She's on the four stars site.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 am

Zahrah wrote:Is Bletchingly a source of color?

This colt from the September sale was WILDLY marked. http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Sep12/pdfs/3100.pdf

He was a bright chestnut but had a belt of roaning around his center with stomach splashes. He also had a true skunk tail.

People were stopping and taking photos of him while he was out. The woman who bought him is going to race him but also market him to QH mares from what I understand.

I bet if you contacted Four Stars they'd share some photos of him. I know Frances Karon was snapping some pics of him before he sold. She's on the four stars site.

Thanks for bringing up Bletchingly. Was not aware on this young equine. Wow, any photo that can be seen here!

On the genetic side, it is understood that there is a difference between
"probabilities" and "possibilities". This is a estipulated issue. The posted writing is solely trying to focus on pluralism of crossess. But I really appreciate every effort made to Punnet-square all these interesting scenarios.

Would really like to read opinions from more Australian and New Zealand
participants. Who knows what other circumstances intervene here that we may not be aware of. :idea:

belambi
Allowance Winner

Postby belambi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:03 pm

thereis a 2009 full sibling called Hoosier Baby2