Consequences for posters who break the rules

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

When a poster blatantly breaks the clearly posted forum rules emphasized here, edit or delete the post and:

Issue a private warning. Many warnings should be given before action is taken.
6%
Issue a private warning. One or few warnings should be given before action is taken.
37%
Issue a public warning. Many warnings should be given before action is taken.
3%
Issue a public warning. One or few warnings should be given before action is taken.
23%
Take immediate action without warning.
31%

Total votes: 35

Roguelet

Consequences for posters who break the rules

Postby Roguelet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 am

The moderators have been discussing the recent tone of the forums, and now it is time for the members to weigh in. Although multiple issues have been cropping up on the forums lately, this poll targets a specific type of behavior; so please base your response only on the specific issues described here.

There are details that would need to be worked out concerning each option and those details are not included in the choices, so please just vote for the option that you believe would be most appropriate in general. Please note that allowing the behavior to continue without consequence is NOT an option. The behaviors being discussed are against forum rules and there will be consequences; we are only discussing the parameters of those consequences.

Whatever final actions are chosen will apply equally to every single poster on this forum, whether they actively participate in the industry or not, whether they have been here for years or are brand new, and whether they are considered knowledgeable or not by the majority of their peers on the forum or in real life.

Emphasized portions of the posted forum rules that this poll applies to are as follows:

1. You will be held accountable for what you post.
... Outright inflammatory... harassing... statements, legally unsubstantiated defamatory accusations... will not be tolerated ...

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
... personal attacks, diatribes and sniping comments are ... unacceptable ...

5. Respect and help the moderators.
... Do not ever air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums...

Disclaimer: The top-ranking choice will not necessarily be the option that is implemented. This will be decided after evaluating the number of members who participate in the poll, how close the results are between various options, and moderator discussion.
Last edited by Roguelet on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 am

Spirited discussions on issues should be encouraged, but the type of personal attacks on Louis, in particular, really have no business here. I vote for public warnings.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:30 am

Unfortunately, Louis is not the only board member who's been the target of inflammatory, ad hominem, attacks. IME, civility of the forum is usually directly related to the quality of discussion. One vote for immediate action, no warning.

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:54 am

I see lots of sniping, spinning and "I am mightier than you" all over this board. Saying to someone "what are you smoking" is far less offensive than "you are an idiot" and that is why enforcement is subjective in nature and hard to police/enforce.

Are you looking for common ground to change what is subjective in nature into something that is objective? Human nature suggests something that makes one person cry might make another laugh.

Public warnings will incite the trolls to target said "shamed" person, but on the other hand I don't know that private warnings are a solution either.

So, rather than what is up there, I will vote for "karma". Don't ban people for disagreeing but reward for agreeing. Let people see that troll #1 has a karma of 1 and troll #2 has a karma of 0. If a person gets x votes for good posts their karma goes up.

If you ban someone they will just bide their time and come back as a different user...

Sysonby
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Sysonby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 am

I don't support rudeness for rudeness sake, but don't you have to make a distinction between being unpleasant but factual and just being a troll?

There are people on here that seem to sell blue sky (if they have something to sell) and/or totally misrepresent themselves, their horses etc etc. So when they do that and a poster knows something factual which refutes their alleged accomplishments or push for sainthood or what have you, does that person then get dinged for pointing it out? Do the majority of posters want a strife free board with the flipside that others can chalk up any real life issues stemming from these misleading posts up to experience?

Maybe that's what people want. It really cuts down on the usefulness of a dedicated breeding/racing board though IMO

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 am

Sysonby wrote:There are people on here that seem to sell blue sky (if they have something to sell) and/or totally misrepresent themselves, their horses etc etc. So when they do that and a poster knows something factual which refutes their alleged accomplishments or push for sainthood or what have you, does that person then get dinged for pointing it out? Do the majority of posters want a strife free board with the flipside that others can chalk up any real life issues stemming from these misleading posts up to experience?

People don't get "dinged" for pointing anything out, as long as they follow the rules. This includes not only the rules highlighted above, but also includes all the rest of the forum rules. The great majority of posters here have no problem arguing their own points and/or arguing against someone else's points without ever breaking any of the forum rules. What is being discussed here has nothing to do with content/representation at all. Instead, this has everything to do with abiding by the forum rules vs. breaking the forum rules.

As for selling, representing, etc... due diligence and buyer beware come into play. For all we know, 90% of the members here could just be pretending that they own, work around, or even like TBs. A buyer or client or whatever should ALWAYS do their homework and not blindly trust whatever they see on the Internet; that is just common sense and goes for any message board and any Internet post or link.

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:56 am

The intent is to preserve the integrity of the board while placing high value on individuality. Inclusion of everyone despite vast differences is a goal that sometimes has a rocky path. Guidelines, warnings are necessary but frankly some people do not read as well as others be it due to adhd,vision,language, interruptions or fatigue. The use of written word has the same issues. The use of words to evoke submission or effect emotional cruelty is the offense that we've been dealing with and are seeking to prevent in the future.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 am

First - kudos to the moderators. It isn't an easy job to find the line between allowing spirited discussion and preventing rudeness/personal attacks.

My vote is edit or delete the post & issue up to one single public warning.

I think we are all capable of creative & kinder ways to communicate & when I think of all the posters who could make valuable contributions who we have lost in the years I've come to this forum, I think we have erred more on the side of free speech than on civility & following forum rules.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:37 pm

When a poster posts on the mating advice thread and asks for opinion on which stallion would be a good match for their mare, and when a moderator ignores that request, but basically in so many words goes on to suggest to most every poster that their mare is basically a piece of crap that doesn't deserve to be bred and should be culled, then that moderator deserves no respect in my opinion.

Go look at the mating advice forum. Nobody posts there.

Why? Because they'll get no advice on what stallion should be bred to what mare using the pedigreequery as a tool, they'll get some self appointed experts's suggestion that they should cull, and often a moderator.

This place is unfriendly from the top down in my opinion. I'd say the low traffic volume and low posting volume is proof enough of that.

This forum is linked to the pedigreequery, it should focus on pedigree analysis, that's the attraction. That moderators on this forum think they are qualified to suggest that mares should be culled when they were not asked that question is outrageous in my opinion.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Pegreeanne- A wealth of information on the thoroughbred horse and thoroughbred racing. She signed on here awhile back, she didn't post much and hasn't been around for awhile, probably thought it to harsh around here.

Maybe she should be made a moderator, maybe out with the old and in with the new would be a breath of fresh air.

The joy of the thoroughbred horse, now she could bring that.

Trying to encourage posters not to breed thoroughbred's and breeding to many unwanted horses:Let's get rid of that mind set around here. Let's just assume that the breeders who are interested in coming to this forum and talking about the thoroughbred horse are the kind of people who are going to take care of the horses they breed and raise and race, and are not the kind of people who dump horses, let's give them the benefit of the doubt in that respect. Let's upgrade around here.

Jeff

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Really my first thought is, if you don't like it here go somewhere else or don't post anything.
I have found plenty of people that are positive, fun and have great ideas and has helped me out in the past. And even now.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:16 am

I think that first of all, a moderator should love the thoroughbred horse enough that they care enough to pay a subscription to the pedigreequery.

Many of the posters here who run off at the mouth are possibly to cheap to even bother and subscribe to the pedigreequery. This site is all about pedigree's. That's the attraction to this forum, like minded people who love the thoroughbred horse and who love the pedigree of the thoroughbred horse.

So many of you, I notice you seem to have no concern or interest or fascination with the pedigree of the thoroughbred horse.

Maybe you should go find another forum, go find a dressage forum.

Jeff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 am

Recently noticed one of the moderators has a mare boarded at her farm in Kentucky. She noted the mare was owned by a South American and was $4,000. in arrears for board since April, moderator also went on to comment on the poor quality of the mare's produce record and sarcastically noting that maybe the mare which she identified on another thread as being in foal to Belong To Me, sarcastically wondering in maybe she's the poor quality kind of mare that I'd like to ship to California.

Now that just goes to show the quality of the moderation on this forum.
Start bad mouthing one of her boarders mares because they happen to be in arrears for the board. If the South American owner were trying to sell the mare, but the person thinking of buying the mare happened to read what the farm owner and moderator of this board happened to say about the mare, I'd think the South American would have a pretty good law suit.

Who's moderating the moderators?

Jeff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 am

Goes to show how poorly you comprehend, Jeff, since they were two DIFFERENT mares. The mare in foal to Belong to Me is a stakes producer. The owner WAS trying to sell the mares. It is moot now since the board has ballooned, the owner is four months delinquent, all of the paperwork is being filed and the mares will be auctioned.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 am

My bad, still seems that making your business and your boarders's payment issue's a concern of this board while a moderator would endanger this board with legal liability. Whoever owns the mare you board that you identified on this board as a poor producer, he certainly could make a case that his attempts to sell the mare were harmed by your identifying her as a poor prospect on this board.

Using one of your boarder's mares as an example to share sarcasm my direction, certainly conduct unbecoming a moderator in my opinion.

Since you made public derogatory statements towards the mare CC Jazz when all I asked for was mating advice in regards as to what would be a good stallion choice, for the sake of the mare, I owe it to her to bring your judgement into question.

Jeff