Racing Thursday Night at Turfway

Workouts, entries & results for horses owned by or otherwise related to our forum members.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Diane, K~2

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:50 am

Generally lasix has a calming effect but I guess anything is possible. Perhaps she needs more paddock experience; schooling etc. Has she ever breezed on lasix and exhibited similar behavior?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:55 am

Nope. Never breezed on it. I was very surprised that she was entered on it. I would have thought that Training 101 would mean (1) training on Lasix if you intend to run on Lasix and (2) doing some kind of paddock schooling before throwing a horse into a night race with lights and people... which is what I thought was happening at River Downs when she was stabled there.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:41 am

Okay we've had a team member change (much needed) and are regrouped. Carmen is off the stewards list, having paddock schooled last night AND today under saddle, we've got the jockey a very experienced trainer has selected, he is sending someone to saddle, and we are OFF Lasix for this coming Thursday, again MSW $21K F&M 3+ but 6f this time. This is her first start, and if she comes out well it will be a prep for a mile next week. If she wins of course she is out of the maidens and we have to look elsewhere..

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 am

Lots of luck then Madelyn but I would not be looking too far ahead yet until you get through this next test. It seems that going a mile soon after a one turn first time start is a lot to ask any horse especially one that had such a traumatic introduction to the game. Anyway I will be watching with great interest,again Madelyn best wishes.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 am

True, wilf, but she has been training for SEVENTEEN MONTHS and regularly gallops 2-4 miles. She's not a two year old and she is really a miler. The 6f is to get her out of the gate in the mix with 11 other horses and come home safe.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Well Madelyn there ya go....she's a late maturing filly or slow to train and I'll bet she's HOT? Hopefully it will add up to at least a few dozen starts over few years once she gets going.

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Here's wishing you better luck and something to make you smile Madelyn,we all need a little "rub of the green" now and again to restore our faith although it's a long wait until St Patrick's Day.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:52 am

We got in for Thursday 9/20 MSW $21K, 6f at Turfway. She was classy and professional - she was not expected to do anything much at six furlongs except "work" - she broke really well, the jockey liked her a lot, and we are pointing at a mile and a sixteenth a bit later on. It was a very good schooling race.

Rocking Trick had a winner yesterday at Hoosier Park named Little Cordelia. A good omen.

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:41 am

Glad to hear she had such a marked improvement! That doubly points the finger at the Lasix for the first fiasco.

Great news about Rocking Trick too. :)

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Nice to hear that about Carmen and Cordelia, hopefully things are coming together now Madelyn.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:15 am

Our new team member has sent us back to a bit of a new regimen and Carmen worked 5 in 1.03 flat the other day, a marked improvement on her works. I feel like we are finally getting somewhere.

In another odd twist, I had found some racehorses for a client in NJ (that have done Really Well), and I ended up with a piece of the most recent one, a nice grey son of Unbridled Energy. I sent him to the same trainer that has taken over Carmen and after just four weeks of galloping (off a 3 mo layoff) the horse worked 3 in 34.4 and we are thinking/dreaming about a gray horse starter handicap at Parx in October....