Stakes winning mare--FREE to good home ONLY

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Stakes winning mare--FREE to good home ONLY

Postby Barcaldine » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 am

GINSENG:

http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2011/0523/56.pdf

foals in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.

Bred once late to COL. JOHN in 2011, did not conceive.

Not bred this year.

GINSENG is a nice, kind mare. There's no reason why she should not produce additional foals. The most important thing to me is that she receive a loving home and is well taken care of. Photos of your farm and horses are required.

Located in Midway, KY (near LEX).
Last edited by Barcaldine on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ak1
Allowance Winner

Postby ak1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Beautiful pedigree...hope you find the right spot for her!

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am

nice grass pedigree may be synthetic would suit foals if stallion well chosen?
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 pm

What a nifty old pedigree! Hope you find her a wonderful home!
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 am

FREE to a GOOD HOME ONLY!!

This mare is in excellent condition and runs like a mare half her age.

Please pm me. I will want to see a few photos of your other horses because this mare deserves a loving home.

Thanks

Skipitgirl
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Skipitgirl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:17 am

I had a Saros mare.....absolutely LOVED her. She threw amazing sporthorse foals and a point earning AQHA foal. Wonderful kind disposition to boot!

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 am

I believe I have the mare placed at a good farm in Indiana. The photos of the man's other horses indicate he takes care of his stock as well as I do so I am very pleased.

Thank you!

Pete
Grade I Winner

Ginseng and Elsa

Postby Pete » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Barcaldine,

In early 1998 I was watching the broadcast from Turf Paradise ready to claim a 5yo mare, Elsa, in the next race. The equipment changes banner at the bottom of the screen slid by:

ELSA (spayed)

Frantically I called my contact to stop the claim. My only interest in this mare was as a broodmare and I wasn't about to challenge the semantics or accuracy of what I'd just read. It was early in the year and I could check authenticity later. Now I needed NOT to claim this mare.

Elsa (m. 1993), Saros - Summer Dress by Summertime Guy. The older full sister to your mare, Ginseng.

I did speak to a trainer, George perhaps, who confirmed that she was indeed spayed by a previous owner as a deterrent to her being claimed as a broodmare prospect. Elsa, like Ginseng, comes from a family with a rich history of success even with the most common of sires. My notations from 15 years ago: their 3 gen maternal family was a 30. That's shockingly high and full of graded, not restricted, stakes performers.

I hope that Ginseng gets her new home and that she brings success to her new owners.

Regards,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am

Pete,

I remember the ELSA story very well. Almost everyone in northern California (where she was running) knew that she had been spayed, except a friend of mine. He took her for something like $20,000 only to learn from me later that day he now owned an expensive lemon. I think he sent her to Turf where he shared his luck with another unknowing owner.

In 1989 I claimed a filly at PHA named FAIREST LISAJEN, a six year old full sister to a nice G3 SW from a very good English family. Back at the barn I asked the track vet to check her for breeding soundness and he reported that she was fine, "in fact, she's in heat now!" he said.

Sent to California where she entered quarantine for Australia, she was checked by the transport vet for her new owner. He, too, passed her with flying colors.

Several weeks after she arrived in Australia I received a call from her owner, with whom I had done business before.

"The mare had her reproductive organs removed," he informed me. Apparently some years earlier she had been spayed for reasons still unknown. Luckily she was insured and he didnt lose out, because I had forwarded him the two vet certs from America.

Motto: All vets are not adept at confirming breeding soundness!

Pete
Grade I Winner

Broodmares and racetrack vets

Postby Pete » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Barcaldine,

You make an excellent point about racetrack vets not being familiar with reproductive issues.

Shoop, (f.1991) by Double Sonic - Noble Dream Maker by An Eldorado. 80-12-18-13 $939,770

G3 winner, multiple G1 stakes placed. In a span of 12 races, all in graded stakes, she hit the board 11 times!

She was purchased by someone I knew who had assurances from a track vet that she was sound and 'ready' to breed. Whether the old owner knew that she was a hermaphrodite I can't say but I assume so because it was well known on the backstretch.

Had I missed Elsa (spayed) I would have paid the price.

Regards,

Pete
Has a palomino jean that pop up some.
This stallion is DNA ... all foal can be MBNA inrolled.

Horses like their credit cards.
- Four Forty Farms

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Has Ginseng been placed yet? We have a nice farm right in Lexington with mainly younger fillies. Not alot of horses but enought to keep her company.....
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Yes, thank you, she was picked up last night.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 pm

OK, I thought she would go quick. Hope she has a lovely and happy forever home.

aurora
Starters Handicap

Postby aurora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 am

I was scouring the local adds and found a cute TB riding horse for sale locally. They weren't using her real name in the add but when I investigatged I found out she was by Hennessy out of a Damascus mare and had sold for over $200k as a yearling. We made a deal to trade my pony for this mare with the stipulation that I could have her vet checked. Good thing I did. She was spayed.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 am

OMG! I did not know they spayed horses! You think nothing of it when it comes to our household pets, and then of course gelding a stud, but spaying?! Wow. Wonder why, unless she had bad uterine cysts, something like that. Poor girl.