Keeneland Nov Breeding stock sale

Talk about upcoming sales or auction results.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Keeneland Nov Breeding stock sale

Postby wgc517 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Looking to pick up another mare probably later in the sale books 4 to 6.

Hoping some of you might share some your thoughts. Any diamonds in the rough you may see. Looking for commercial appeal and in foal. Cannot afford the earlier books.

Any studs to avoid?

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:19 pm

What is your budget?

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:32 pm

bdw0617
Darley line

Postby bdw0617 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:50 pm

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... lum-pretty

lol at first it thought "damn the pope is getting in horse racing that's good"
"When the solution is simple, God is answering.”
- Einstein

jagger
Grade III Winner

Pure Clan

Postby jagger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm

A Pure Prize mare, Pure Clan, just sold for 4.5 million...in foal to Bernardini.

Toccet02
Leading Sire

Postby Toccet02 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:02 pm

selling over again for the day? why so early?
All shouting does is make you lose your voice.
----Arrested Development

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Re: Keeneland Nov Breeding stock sale

Postby ct2346 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 pm

wgc517 wrote:Looking to pick up another mare probably later in the sale books 4 to 6.

Hoping some of you might share some your thoughts. Any diamonds in the rough you may see. Looking for commercial appeal and in foal. Cannot afford the earlier books.

Any studs to avoid?

This is always a challenge but particularly when you have a budget to live by. If you are going to be THERE you task becomes a lot easier. You have to be able to take advantage of "game time decisions". It is really hard to guess what each mare will go for.

I would focus more on the mare than the stud. You should be able to pick up a good mare in foal to a middling or bad stud. The reverse is going to be harder and likely produce worse results in the long run.

Much more important to me is what the mare has produced. If she's thrown nothing while being bred to superior sires, its an (almost) automatic pass (unless you know something about nicks that the previous owner did not). Literally a hundred factors to consider.

I will be there, competing with you in books 3 and 4.

stlouiskid
Maiden Special Weight

Postby stlouiskid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am

I don't mean this to be a smart ass, but to buy an in foal mare for 10,000 bucks, and expect to sell the resulting foals and make money, is a daunting task.
The only possible way is to try and find something that has a chance to greatly improve the page. Meaning a mare that has had a few foals, and has a weanling and yearling on the ground from some decent sires, with a good second and third dam, and a fairly decent pedigree.
I bought a mare a few years ago, unraced, she was a half to a grade 1 winner. She was in foal to Value Plus, but I bought her from the farm in Florida that had stood Medaglia Doro. So she had a two year old, a yearling and a weanling all by Medaglia. Chris Young from Overbrook had bought the two year old, so she was in good hands. Sorry to say, none of the foals could run a lick. And the foal I bred had a lot of issues. Sometimes the upside works, sometimes not.
I will look for some examples in the next couple days in the current book.