1/2 sister to WISE DAN, SUCCESSFUL DAN--bred to UNCLE MO

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Last live bid was $245,000.

She isnt much of an individual so it's surprising to me they didnt accept that bid.

I'm curious, Dublino, why you keep posting about my mare carrying a filly. The mare wasnt checked for fetal sex, so Im assuming you're clairvoyant as well as a market expert.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 am

Well if she was carrying a colt, she would be more marketable and any backyard breeder would know this and get the mare fetal sex tested asap after confirming in foal.

So to say you haven't done this is either
a. very dumb on your part
b. a porkie pie.
Edited by Moderator

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 am

No personal comments please or they will be removed.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:42 am

dublino, could you share some of your breeding/buying/selling experiences so that I can get a handle on your thought process as to what you post.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

I really think the snarky comments by some posters on this thread are really out of line.

It doesn't really matter what the mare could have been claimed for/bought for last year or whenever. Some pretty sad track performers have gone on to become excellent broodmares.

The OP hit the jackpot because the mare's half-sibling has run impressively this season and is a leading candidate for an Eclipse Award. If you think the mare's over-priced, you can say that without being nasty about it.
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:49 pm

zinn21 wrote:dublino, could you share some of your breeding/buying/selling experiences so that I can get a handle on your thought process as to what you post.

What thoughts are you looking for?
Be more specific and send me a pm lets not hijack this thread its about the mare and the filly she is carrying. :-)
Edited by Moderator

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Linda_d wrote:I really think the snarky comments by some posters on this thread are really out of line.

It doesn't really matter what the mare could have been claimed for/bought for last year or whenever. Some pretty sad track performers have gone on to become excellent broodmares.

The OP hit the jackpot because the mare's half-sibling has run impressively this season and is a leading candidate for an Eclipse Award. If you think the mare's over-priced, you can say that without being nasty about it.

I QUITE agree.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Derby2004
Starters Handicap

Postby Derby2004 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:58 pm

If he wants to sell his mare for 10 million, that's his perogative. No one is holding guns to heads forcing them to write a check to buy her. And if someone wants to write a check that badly, Ive got 100 acres oceanfront pasture in Arizona to turn her out on. Im sure the OP could care less if she sells or not.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm

madelyn wrote:
Linda_d wrote:I really think the snarky comments by some posters on this thread are really out of line.

I QUITE agree.

You know, years ago, there was a great discussion on here on how a mare' value increases/decreases from year to year, depending on what her family has done, what her foals have done, how recently they'd done it - and a bunch of other things.

At about the same time that thread was live, we had a mare we bought for a little bit of nothing. She'd had enough foals who hadn't done well at the track that we KNEW she wasn't commercial, even though she had a couple graded-stakes-performing/producing sisters.

We bought her for how we thought she'd match a specific stallion, for the fact that she had never really been bred correctly (in our opinion) & because we liked her as a cross with the regional stallion to whom she had recently been bred [we were looking at the PA market or breed-to-race, not a true commercial breeding for that particular foal].

Her 1/2 sister had produced a G3-winning colt who was then a 2 y.o., who won a G1 shortly after we bought the mare & who was one of the Derby favorites his 3 y.o. year.

We had KY bloodstock agents who tracked us down to inquire about our mare, right up to the Derby (unfortunately, the colt washed out in the paddock before the Derby & underwhelmed the crowd & and no one ever tried to buy her again - and I think if she were in foal to a fashionable KY sire, we'd have had even more inquiries than we'd had.)

The OP has a mare whose value increased by her 1/2 brother, a value that will not tank before she foals,. Sell her or keep her & foal her out - doesn't matter. It is pretty much a no-lose situation & there are precious few of that type of situation with horses . . . but now is the time to offer, in case anyone wants her enough to make it worth while.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Linda D wrote:

I really think the snarky comments by some posters on this thread are really out of line.

It doesn't really matter what the mare could have been claimed for/bought for last year or whenever.

There was absolutely NOTHING SNARKY stating subject mare's half sister could have been claimed for $7500. And it would have mattered a hell of a lot if you happened to have claimed her.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Linda_d
Starters Handicap

Postby Linda_d » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

zinn21 wrote:Linda D wrote:

It doesn't really matter what the mare could have been claimed for/bought for last year or whenever.

There was absolutely NOTHING SNARKY stating subject mare's half sister could have been claimed for $7500. And it would have mattered a hell of a lot if you happened to have claimed her.

I'm sorry that you thought that I meant your comments. I wasn't referring to the mare you mentioned (the half sister that recently went to auction with a high reserve and didn't sell because she just missed that reserve). I was referring to numerous other comments specifically about the original mare -- and these have been going on for a while.
"you cannot be brilliant if you cannot run" -- bdw0617

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

But really Barc most of us want to see you do well selling this mare. You found her and took the risks. "Small" breeders need these kind of home runs because they aren't all home runs. This is a business full of big money. Last weekend showed that the money is starting to flow again. Until a few more on here feel the green they'll be jealous as ****.
Keep your feet on the ground and best to you.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 am

What Diane said. Diane, I also really like your story about your mare - it would be even better to know if she produced better when bred "right". I've got a mare like that here, although I didn't scour the world and "take a chance" on her. Someone else did, boarded her here and then defaulted. I am very hopeful that if I cannot sell her I will be able to scrape up the money for the stud fee for the stallion she is bred to.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

BargainBlueblood
Starters Handicap

Postby BargainBlueblood » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am

[quote="dublino"]No offence this is a $1,000 mare (who has produced no winners so far) in foal to a $35,000 stallion who has produced nothing so far.

Nothing Wise Dan can do can "add value" to this mare, he is a gelding.

This mare isn't carrying Wise Dan - she is carrying an unamed filly (alledgedly) from a dam and sire that has produced nothing with no real similarities in bloodline to Wise Dan.[/quote]

Dublino, I do take offense because your post is total rubbish. Being a fairly young half-sister to soon-to-be Eclipse Champion Horse of the Year, in foal to first crop sire Uncle Mo, the OP's mare is worth six figures for certain.

I'm not sure if you're like a toddler who keeps pushing the boundaries until someone (namely the moderator) gives you a "time out," but to act as if a mare's value doesn't fluctuate wildly based on what its family is doing at the track is utter hogwash. A few years back, my mare Basic Instinct had a first-out 2-year-old winner for Ken McPeek, and to my surprise I got called by three different agents within 48 hours, offering three times what I'd paid for her. And Basic Instinct had already had foals at the track who were not stakes caliber. All these offers were made on the speculation that maybe her maiden-breaking 2-year-old would turn into a serious stakes horse. (Alas, it never happened.)

I'm a little appalled at myself for taking your bait and even bothering to respond, but as someone with a little bit of working knowledge about the industry, I felt it irresponsible to let your comments stand unopposed.

Let's see if you can let someone else have the last word, or if you'll be true to form and post something else insulting about the OP's mare.
Michael Slezak
Bargain Blueblood
[email protected]
917.455.0693 (cell)

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I haven't once insulted the OP mare, find one insult or something that a moderator could give me a time out for?

So have you just seen inside the envelope for the Horse of the Year?

What you mean in your opionion Wise Dan should be given horse of the year, like my opinions about mares and their values?

So if Wise Dan doesn't get Horse of the Year should you be given a time out?

Michael do you juggle?
Own a wig or have a red nose?
Edited by Moderator