Treatment for a gash on hind leg

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Treatment for a gash on hind leg

Postby bayrabicano » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 am

My horse somehow cut her hind leg in her stall at the training center. It is fairly deep and her leg is swollen even though she's not lame. Since it is close to her hock the vet did not stitch it but prescibed Underwood's and baking powder.

Has anyone tried this stuff and what was your experience?

http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/

If any of you could share what to expect with this type of injury, I would greatly appreciate the insight. I'm nervous about it not healing correctly and creating prolems later on.
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am

Prefer not to start a fight but the best thing I ever used to control proud flesh is used motor oil..

don't know why but it seems to work best when it's used and black..

And I believe I received that suggestion from someone on this forum after I and the vet had tried everything in the book w/o much success. . This wound was in the front of her left hock and she did it with the joint of high tension wire

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

I have tried a lot of commercial horse preparations, and treated some pretty horrible wounds, and have come down to this...

1. daily hosing, hard, some scrubbing to loosen any dirt etc.
2. dry the wound with a very clean towel; whoosh it with medicated powder from the dollar store (one of my workers used to call that "dusting with flour")
3. use hemorrhoid cream from the dollar store over top of the whole thing to prevent proud flesh. It's not caustic so if it touches the edges of new flesh it will not prevent the wound from healing over.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Rez
2yo Maiden

Postby Rez » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Used motor works great..... We use it when ever a horse gets a proud flesh wound. Clean wound and use a small bucket of used motor oil and paint brush and brush on morning and night. You will be amazed

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

That was my experience. Did not even wash it down, just used the paint brush and USED motor oil to clean the wound.

Fixed a really bad proud flesh wound right in the bend of the jock. She has a huge scar but it has never opened and she has not trouble walking and trotting.. I think the used motor oil must make for a softer scar

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Can you send a picture of the wound? Close up if possible.

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:30 am

Photos taken 7 days after injury (and start of treatment)...

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

- Michelangelo

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Purchase Shreiners Herbal Solution. Spray it on everyday and it will heal WITHOUT proud flesh and probably no scar. Have used it many times, it never fails.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Lisann
Allowance Winner

Postby Lisann » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 pm

If you do get proud flesh, try Proudofff (about $10, available from Jeffers). One of ours got a nasty cut on his front leg. Some proud flesh did form, but Proudoff eliminated it in 2 days.