A pure sibling to Zenyatta coming?

General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

A pure sibling to Zenyatta coming?

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 am

According to PedInq. I looked up the info. for Vertigineux and it says she has been bred back to Street Cry for a 2013 foal!! How exciting is that??

I had heard that the owners of Street Cry and the prev. owners of Vert. did not get along (?) and that's why they did not have a Zenyatta full sibling. I ready that off of here somewhere I believe.

I think this is even more interesting than the half sister winning her first race. A full to Zenyatta, can you imagine how much that horse would be worth? LOL
LOTS
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Mucho Deniro!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Secretariat had to full or "pure" siblings; both mares. One raced and paid her expenses and the other never raced and did not produce that well.

I have 4 children, all are similar and all are different. Each has his/her areas of excellence and areas which they have no interest or talent. none are identical twins.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Prairie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Prairie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:26 pm

griff wrote:Secretariat had to full or "pure" siblings; both mares. One raced and paid her expenses and the other never raced and did not produce that well.

I have 4 children, all are similar and all are different. Each has his/her areas of excellence and areas which they have no interest or talent. none are identical twins.

griff

But.......the possibility of a full sib with even 1/2 the flair, talent and personality of Zenyatta is exciting!

And......we have no idea how well Zenyatta will produce, but maybe...just maybe...her full sib will be able to pass on some of the "flair, talent and personality" DNA that Zenyatta possessed.

Either way, a full sib can't be bad! :-)

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:32 am

agree. but more so it it were mine

griff

Prairie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Prairie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:11 pm

griff wrote:agree. but more so it it were mine

griff

:D :D

Mahubah
Freshman Sire

Postby Mahubah » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 pm

griff wrote:Secretariat had to full or "pure" siblings; both mares. One raced and paid her expenses and the other never raced and did not produce that well.
griff

Actually, Secretariat's two full sisters were a bit better than that. Syrian Sea won the 1967 Selima Stakes, then one of the most important events for juvenile fillies, and got a rating of 115 pounds on the Experimental Free Handicap, just two below champion juvenile filly Queen of the Stage. She didn't win any stakes after her juvenile season but ran third in the Coaching Club American Oaks and is the third dam of 1992 US champion 3yo filly Saratoga Dew. As for The Bride, while unplaced in four starts, she produced two stakes winners, one of them a multiple group II winner in Argentina, and is the granddam of grade I winner Personal Business -- that's a far better record than most broodmares will ever have.
"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher...You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse." C. S. Lewis

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:53 pm

good horses indeed. but not in the same league with Secretariat

griff

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Or RUFFIAN

She was started too young I think. Didn't have enough time to grow right.
She had the speed of a champion sprinter and the stamina of a marathoner.

Like I always say: we will NEVER EVER EVER EVER see another Ruffian

Not to mention her unbelieveable beauty to go along with her ability. Miss her.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:42 pm

did Ruffin have any full siblings????

griff

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 pm

She sadly did not have any full siblings, but her dam, Shenanigans had some other nice half brothers and sisters. Laughter, a half sister, is seen in the pedigree of alot of good horses, and there was Buckfinder or Buckpasser, can't remember which one it is.

You know, I woke up this morning thinking about this: there are statues of Secretariat at Belmont, Zenyatta out at Hollywood Park I think, WHY are there no life size monument statues of Ruffian at Belmont Park?? That's where she did her greatest work, and sadly, ran her last race. A filly of who's beauty we will not see again.
think i'm gonna write to Belmont Park.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:42 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:She sadly did not have any full siblings, but her dam, Shenanigans had some other nice half brothers and sisters. Laughter, a half sister, is seen in the pedigree of alot of good horses, and there was Buckfinder or Buckpasser, can't remember which one it is.

You know, I woke up this morning thinking about this: there are statues of Secretariat at Belmont, Zenyatta out at Hollywood Park I think, WHY are there no life size monument statues of Ruffian at Belmont Park?? That's where she did her greatest work, and sadly, ran her last race. A filly of who's beauty we will not see again.
think i'm gonna write to Belmont Park.

Hi erhrdt,
Ruffian is buried in the infield of Belmont Park. Her grave is located at the base of the flagpole and her nose is pointed toward the finish line. There is a headstone over her grave with red and white flowers around it. It is encircled by a horseshoe shaped hedge and can be seen from the grandstand. TJ

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi TJ,

Yes, I am well aware of where she's at. I have some photos of when they were putting her to rest. This many years later, I still cry when I look at them.

Anyway, that IS a very nice thing to have her there, but I would like to see a life sized statue of her in perhaps the paddock area, or the entrance area. Check out the life sized one that they put up of Zenyatta, out in California, I'd put the photo here but my computer is messed up. It only took them a year to put one up of her, and I just feel that of any horse that needs a full sized one, it's the Queen of them all, Ruffian.

Someday, someway, before I die, I hope I can get to visit her grave at Belmont and put flowers for her. Wish that did not happen to her. She would have won that match race and gone on to win many more. :cry:

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 am

how about a life size statue of the stallion that beat her??

griff

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:16 am

griff wrote:how about a life size statue of the stallion that beat her??

griff

The inscription could read "He outraced a filly that broke a leg".
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo