Pedigrees for Blacks?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Well all I know is I bred to Devil His Due after looking at his foals (lots of blacks) and liked his soundness, etc, etc. and I wanted a damned black foal!

Nope, got another bay. Yet some of his foals that are pure black have come from out of chestnuts and bays.

Don't get me wrong, I love my girl, but why, oh why, couldn't she look like Daddy? She even has his white rear left sock.
Gonna go cry somewhere... :cry:
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Maybe your mare is homozygous for agouti. For better odds, might take a black mare to him next?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Yes, I too have seen some black Arch's.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Have your mare tested. If she carries two copies of the Agouti gene in the dominant form, you are never going to get a black from her. UC Davis does this testing, as do a lot of other places.

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 pm

Well, just got back from the sale. Found one VERY nice black mare (identified as dk b/br), in foal to Philanthropist. Went for $7,000. Needless to say, I didn't get her.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 am

Hi all, Madelyn, I was told the same thing I believe by someone at the farm where Devil stands. What I don't understand he's gotten pure blacks out of chestnuts and you would think a chestnut would have more red in them.

We DO however, have a very, very dark mare by Bandini, and he is very dark but not black, and she's a bit darker than he, so I don't know what I'd get from her??

Anyway, she hurt herself on the training track to the point where she could never race but can be a mom in the pasture. She is not pure black but looks smutty black. I'm wondering what would happen there. I'd like to get another Devil foal before he gets too old, he's up there now so I don't want to take any chances.

How do I get her tested for Agouti? Do I pull hairs from her, and if so, where? How much does it cost to have the testing done? Does the Univ. of Lexington do it?
Sorry for all the questions, but I sure appreciate all the information I get from you all!

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

erhrdt3 wrote:Hi all, Madelyn, I was told the same thing I believe by someone at the farm where Devil stands. What I don't understand he's gotten pure blacks out of chestnuts and you would think a chestnut would have more red in them.

We DO however, have a very, very dark mare by Bandini, and he is very dark but not black, and she's a bit darker than he, so I don't know what I'd get from her??

Anyway, she hurt herself on the training track to the point where she could never race but can be a mom in the pasture. She is not pure black but looks smutty black. I'm wondering what would happen there. I'd like to get another Devil foal before he gets too old, he's up there now so I don't want to take any chances.

How do I get her tested for Agouti? Do I pull hairs from her, and if so, where? How much does it cost to have the testing done? Does the Univ. of Lexington do it?
Sorry for all the questions, but I sure appreciate all the information I get from you all!

Several labs offer testing at the major loci controlling coat color. UCDavis is one of them and has a good page with simple explanations for, among other things, how chestnuts can get or produce blacks.
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/coatcolorhorse.php

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:04 am

Thank you for the info! :D

keliromine
Newborn

Black colts

Postby keliromine » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:23 pm

I have a dominate white colt by panoramic who is ee/aa

I have a black colt by risqué Remarque who is Ee/aa