Osselet - Best Treatment

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Osselet - Best Treatment

Postby Supernova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I have a now 3yo filly with an osselet. It had filling in it last fall and looked ugly but never caused her to be unsound. She has had 2 months off, for unrelated reasons and I'm about to start her into light training. She will only be jogging for the next little while. Her ankle still looks ugly (she was diagnosed with an osselet the previous season but vet said if it's not bothering her don't worry about it) but I am worrying about it and wonder if theres anything I can put on it to help reduce the swelling. I'd prefer to keep her unwrapped for now if possible.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

i'd google it. Osselet could be problem, obviously, if it's impinging on something. How u eliminate a bony growth except by an operation, unknown.

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 am

I don't think she has the bony growth yet, she just has swelling and fluid around the joint. I'd like to prevent it from getting to that point.

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 am

Rest her.
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 am

She has had 2.5 months of rest now. Her ankle is cold, but still has the filling in it. She is sound on it. Do you think more rest is necessary now?

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:48 am

We had a qtr horse filly many years ago that had bumped her knee. It had a small amount offluid on it for the rest of her life. She was x-rayed dozens of time by our vet. Never showed anything. She never took a lame step. Set a track record while racing. Retired with the fluid still on her knee. Would go down, come back. Good luck with yours.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks. I've read on different sites about injecting an osselet, it was also an option my vet had initially suggested. Anyone have any luck with that?

Barn 31 T-breds
2yo Maiden

Postby Barn 31 T-breds » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

ok. as long as you are certain you are dealing with an osselet and not a chip or fracture (you would approach treatment differently), here's is what I can recommend.

First, an osselet is an inflammation of the bones of the ankle joint. there are various reasons for them, primarily an injury or poor conformation such as straight pasterns. Concussion adds to the problem, and eventually heat in the joint, filling, and boney growth will result.

There are a couple of options you have.

1. Blister. Some trainers would recommend blistering it in hopes that it will deter any further deterioration. In your case, considering she had never been lame on it and that now it's cooled out, I wouldn't likely go for that myself.

2. Treat with anti-inflammatory drugs. This should produce good results but not without a cost. Many horses develop ulcers if they are given too much, and this is especially true of nervous horses.

3. Inject with corticosteroids. This is the most effective treatment of all, in my opinion. Not only do you get an immediate alleviation of excess fluid in the joint capsule, but the horse gets a strong dose of anti-inflammation meds locally.

4. Cold hose and pack with ice. these can be effective and are basically free.

Not having examined your horse personally, I can only make a suggestion based on my experience. there is no way of my knowing whether or not it will produce the results you desire, but they have worked for me.

I would have the horse injected. This will get her off to a quick start. Then, I would give her small doses of bute in her feed each night. to counteract the effects on the stomach, I also feed some baking soda and aloe vera juice in the day and night feeds.

Each day, I would apply topical cold to the joint. This can be in the form of ice boots or standing the horse in a tub of water and ice (the best treatment if you can get the horse to stand there).

this regimen attacks the problem from every angle - inside and out - and can keep an ankle cool and under control for a long time.

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Thank you for your help, I think we are going to look into having them injected.