Horses starving in Louisiana

Discuss horse welfare and rescue and horses in need of assistance.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, Diane

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Horses starving in Louisiana

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm

The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 am

Sylvie, thank you for posting that. I'm going to follow that facebook site about that Ryder Ranch in LA. And they want more stallions down there too....to breed some more in Louisiana. Didn't we just have a discusstion about Song and a Prayer going down there???? Hmmmm?

My email inbox is FULL of farms advertising their TB stallion as the next coming of Secretariat or Seattle Slew. I'm getting calls, you name it, and they all ask, why have you not bred your mare with THAT pedigree. So I ask them if they have a couple minutes. Of course, thinking that they are going to get another mare to knock up, I tell them what they are doing is adding to the problem (such as ones like this Ryder Farm incident), and also ask what type of program do they have for retired TB's??? I get alot of stutterin' and mutterin'! And I tell them I CHOOSE to not breed my mare because we believe their are enough horses already in the sales and up on the right corner of this very forum that need homes already! They don't get IT, do they? I've actually read of some one here over the years, being worried about having enough hay for the horses they have now, but, hey, lets breed some more foals.

IMHO EVERY horse deserves to be treated humanely; plentiful good food, good water, great vet care, great farrier care, etc.

NOT to be left out in the pastures like these poor souls at this Ryder farm to die, where the police found several 'shallow graves' Imagine, all of you, the next time your stomach rumbles from hunger, or you feel thirsty. But THIS time you get nothing. You are told to go out in the dried up pasture, to scavenge for just maybe a blade of grass or a drop of dew on something to eat and drink. Then eventually you are so weak that down you go and end up like these poor horses.

Then people who rescue them have to come and pick up the pieces, literally. For SHAME! The breeders don't care, someone else will take care of the problem. How many more have to die of starvation before it sinks in.

edited by moderator
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 am

There is a similar thread going on in the Horses in Need forum. This one should be moved there, that is the right place for this matter.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 am

Thank you Georgerz, perhaps the moderators/owners of the forum can do that. I just saw that with those photos and responded.

Let's all help those horses! Five, ten, twenty bucks all adds up horsey buddies.
I know Sylvie will keep us informed and then there is that web site about it too.

I feel so bad for them, they are innocents and whoever is responsible for this horror needs to go to jail with a bunch of inmates that are animal lovers :lol: :wink:

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Erhrdt3 dude it was an isolated case. You act like the whole state of Louisiana is starving there horses because we have more stallions coming in. Get ur facts straight before you shoot off at the mouth. The farm was a very successful farm till the owner was put in a nursing home. The kids ran it in the ground.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Guess what, Dude, sorry that happened

"Several shallow graves" Hmmm.... I wonder what they would find if they unearthed those shallow graves.
They need help, and they need help now. There's more than enough horses in this country where they don't have to keep on breeding thousands more each year.
People get an attitude when something like this happens because it shows what happens and happens alot.
Why don't YOU help them? How much money are you going to donate? Hmmm?

edited by moderator

docjocoy
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby docjocoy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:57 pm

You may be right, and I know you certainly believe you are right. But for you to use such extremely foul language to make your point, and use such gross generalizations to condemn an entire state, is unconsionable. This is such an emotional issue, of course it is. But AGC has his point, and he lives in LA, and this is one farm, not the whole state. We all get your point, but your shouting and swearing does not help your cause, and, as I have said on another thread (and why we now have three threads for this issue is beyond me) I have personal experience in the rescue/adoption area, so I'm not arguing against the issue, just the way you are presenting your thoughts.

quote deleted by moderator

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Erhrdt3 get a grip dude. The state police has been called in and i think they are surrending all the horses. Im sure the kid who runs the farm has a lot of explaining to do. You do what you have to do but quit ur da*n shouting on a da*n message board u got it?

edited by moderator

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Duplicate post from similar thread...

It looks like LA Horse Rescue has the horses now...

www.lahorserescue.com

JANUARY 20, 2013

LHRA has taken in 47 horses from the Ryder Farm in Natchitoches where reportedly more horses are at risk. Of the 47 horses in Quarantine at an Alexandria farm, two have succumbed to the effect of months of starvation. The majority of the horses are young - from short yearlings to three year olds; although there are at least 7 mares in the group, and 8 mares that arrived in 2012.<<<<<<<<<<<

and from Facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/LHRA1

IN TRYING TO IDENTIFY/RECONCILE THE MARES IN OUR POSESSION FROM THE RYDER FARM, WE ARE ASKING FOR YOUR INPUT ON ANY OF THE HORSES BELOW - IF YOU KNOW OF THERE WHEREABOUTS TODAY/HAVE AN UPDATE ON THEM, PLEASE PROVIDE IT. THIS IS THE LIST OF MARES WHO WERE LAST REPORTED AS BEING AT RYDER'S FARM:
HORSE NAME BIRTH DATE DAM
A LITTLE HOPE 1/1/2005 TOWN RANSOM
ANY TIME NOW 1/1/1987 PRINCESS PROWESS
APRICOT 1/1/1997 CHANGE IN STATUS
ARTSY ANNIE 1/1/2001 GAYLORD'S ANNIE
BAMBY 1/1/1997 MISS HEIDI
BEHRENS' SLEW 1/1/2003 FLORAMERA
BINNACLE 1/1/1990 FINDER'S REWARD
BUSY SIGNAL 1/1/1991 UTE PEAK
CARR STAR 1/1/1991 COLD AS A WITCH'S
CEE AGAIN 1/1/2000 SING AGAIN
COOL ROBBERY 1/1/1995 CLASSIC ROBERY
COUNTRY SCENE 1/1/1995 LOBSANG S DILEMA
FLYING RELAUNCH 1/1/1994 FLYING DAMSEL
GOIN WIDE 1/1/1999 FIT FOR A PRINCESS
GOTTA GEAUX KRISSY 1/1/1996 YOURSFORTHEASKING
GUVNER ANA 1/1/1992 TWIGA
HANNAHANNABOBANNA 1/1/1995 RAKSH
HOH HOH HOH 1/1/2001 HOH FLYER
ICE BRIDE 1/1/1999 LA GROUPIE
INDEPENDENCE BAY 1/1/1999 DUAL BLESSING
INMUSICALFLIGHT 1/1/1997 HAGLEYS WORLD
ITCHING TO GO 1/1/1997 TALCUM DEE
JULE CITY 1/1/2005 LIL LINZER
JULIE'S GO BABY GO 1/1/2000 NAVAL TALK
LADY DR. ESKIMO 1/1/1989 READER'S FILLE
LADY SEFA 1/1/2005 LADY DR. ESKIMO
LEASEARS 1/1/1991 CLOUDY SEAS
LINDA GREELEY 1/1/1999 SLY ISABELLA
LOBSANG S DILEMA 1/1/1989 DEE'S DELIMA
MAGNET LADY 1/1/1996 MISS ELKTON
MEGAN'S LOCKET 1/1/1994 JANE'S POCKET
MIRACLE BABE 1/1/1997 MIRACLE CURE
MISS ANNA BANANA 1/1/2000 ALABAMA ANNE
MISSIONACOMPLISHED 1/1/1999 SWEAR TO ME
MOLLY MULHOLLUN 1/1/2004 LOVELY AND PROUD
MORONI 1/1/1998 PALANGANA
MUSH MM 1/1/1993 MUSH
MUSIC FEST 1/1/2004 SPANISH GUITAR
NEITHER NOR 1/1/1989 LEAP IN TIME
NEWS SCENE 1/1/1997 CLEBURNE
ONE MORE DANCE 1/1/1999 BELOCCO
PRESTONS CARR 1/1/1997 COPRA
QUEENHANNA 1/1/1994 STRONGQUEEN
RED EYE GRAVY 1/1/1999 MUD IN YOUR EYE
ROCK THE RANCH 1/1/1998 FEMININE DECOR
SCENE THREE 1/1/1990 PACHUTO'S SCENE
SIBERIAN KITTY 1/1/2000 MUSH MM
STORMY MISTY 1/1/2001 DAZZLING BRIDE
TERRA FIRMA 1/1/2001 RATERA
THREESIXTYFIVE 1/1/2002 QUEEN LIVIA
TIME TO BUY 1/1/2001 EAST COAST TIME
TOOLITTLETOOLATE 1/1/2003 QUIETALADY
WATER SKI 1/1/2000 LAKE TRAVIS
WILD AND RAKSHES 1/1/2001 RAKSH
X RAYEYES 1/1/2000 MEADOWLAKE AMY
ZAMANDA 1/1/1999 AMANDA'S WISH
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

By the way,I lived in La for a few years and there is a generalize lack of respect for animals there,as in a lot of southern and midwest area that I was at long enough...I have witnessed horses being turned out outside the pastures,in the woods and swamps to get rid of them;older racing gelding useless evidently...And that done by a rich man,now deceased. He certainly could afford feeding them but simply could'nt care less.I have seen more horses break down from drug abuse and joint injections than I care to remember and not racing but simply loping in the morning.
I was the crazy lady who fed 1st class hay and cared for cheap claimers "hasbeen" as she does stakes horses..The nutcase who does not kill snakes but throw them in the woods,the ones where all the strays, blacks,mexicans ,dogs and cats could always get help (even to get out of jail)and a bit to eat. And I traded those throw away horses for stuff trainers needed tack,medications,hay,and shipped them all the way up to Canada where most found homes.and I got the vet to come (and paid for),to euthanise what you guys call "skins",the poor animals forgotten and/or abused by supposetly God fearing people there,the same people that went to church every week and quote the bible at every occasion but were in fact devoid of empathy and...soul.And I am still doing the same,I don't call it love for horses but simple respect for live beings...I am not an angel,I have done my share of nasty things but never turned my back or ignored a life in distress and never will.I came back to Canada where you can still walk the street in the middle of the night and not get mugged,where black people are people,not trash and whre you can believe or not in God any God and won't get threaten or shot..And where still far from perfect we can sit around a table,white,black,red or blue with polka dots humans and animals and laugh while we share the little we have without anyone pointing at us and being abusive.I call this being humans... and simply buying happiness,call it what you want
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

Sylvie, it appears that if you speak up against the horrors of what happens to these overbred animals, and esp. when a case comes up, instead of getting help, we get attacked, hear excuses, and people jump to conclusions. They are getting alot of exercise doing all that.

I have called those numbers, and the jerks, yes, I said JERKS, that are down there in LA gave me numbers to call that I had just called. So its a game of pass the buck, and they try to act like they don't know what the problem is.

"Oh really?" "is that right?" is what I'm getting.
Most of those I called said that the sheriff's number that you posted is the one that needs to be called.

Why do they keep breeding when there are so many in peril, starving, and in need of homes as the ones in the upper right corner? I can't understand how anyone can simply ignore that.

Please, horse lovers, call that sheriff's number that Sylvie posted, so far it seems like that is the one I'm being told to call by all down there.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

Also, what's to say I'm not part of our local sheriff's agency?

When we get a call regarding any type of animal abuse, we have a special department for that, and also have a senior veterinarian on call all the time to help the animals when needed.

Please help these horses.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am

Anybody that's home right now, and has access to the Animal Planet channel, turn it on. They just had a DA bring in a so called owner of a horse that was so skinny and had cuts all over him. The judge was on the horses side this time. We need more like him.

Now they are taking over a beautiful German Shepard that is skin and bones and the judge is going to sign the paperwork to take over the dog.

It's 12:30 CST thanks

pfrsue
Grade III Winner

Postby pfrsue » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

erhrdt3 wrote:Also, what's to say I'm not part of our local sheriff's agency?

I really hope you aren't. If you were, you'd most likely be aware that non-business hour calls to Sheriff's Offices often go straight to their dispatch center. If you don't know what's wrong with that, you definitely have nothing to do with law enforcement.

Incidentally, this might be of some interest:

Natchitoches Parish Sheriff's Office Press Release
http://www.npsheriff.org/News_Article.a ... icleID=132

Title: Allegations of Animal Abuse
Date: 01/17/2013

I have received a large volume of comments involving allegations of horse abuse in Natchitoches Parish.

There is a on going investigation with the Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office and Louisiana Brand Commission. Since there is an ongoing investigation no information can be released to the public.

Thanks for your concern and I assure each of you there is an investigation into these allegations.

Sheriff Victor E. Jones, Jr.

bayrabicano
Allowance Winner

Postby bayrabicano » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Pfrsue, Thank you so much for posting the update - maybe now some of the folks that were interested enough to call, write, etc. will put some of that energy into helping the rescued horses.

To All:

The rescue has some of the rescued horses currently up for adoption if anyone is interested. Hopefully, they will get good homes soon.

https://www.facebook.com/LHRA1

The incoming donations are also listed on the above website.

>>>Horses in this album are available for immediate adoption. Adoption fees will be waived to approved homes. Must have an equine vet reference and be able to substantiate your ability to care for a horse in this condition. Those experienced in caring for Thoroughbreds are sought. Email [email protected] for adoption details.<<< (copied from site)

Donations are accepted through the Facebook page or their website.

They marked down the 2013 racing calendar to $5 + $3.95 shipping anywhere in the Continental US. It is one of their annual fundraisers and it's really nice.

www.lahorserescue.com

Please help if you can.
"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

- Michelangelo