Advice for a better site

Specific input regarding the pedigree side of the site- generating reports, compiling data, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

Tappiano wrote:I'd suggest removing all that "fluff" and just keep the site as what it is intended for, pedigrees or at the very least scrub keywords like euthanized, broke down, etc.

The original intent was to accurately and concisely present all relevant factual information about a horse including cause of death. While they're certainly no one's favorite terms, I don't see any reason or need to avoid "euthanized" or "broke down" if that's what actually happened, per official sources.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

Agree with PZ. If you are looking at ff production it would be helpful to know that say for instance unraced progeny "died as weanling,yearling" etc. Consider if you saw blips of "died from colic" scattered across a ff page? Eventually there will be so much data sharing that patterns will emerge that may help in breeding a better horse. In fact it would be helpful if the JC kept retirement records for every horse. Retired for non life threatening injury, retired for financial reason, retired to breeding shed etc. That's a different subject though.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am

I would love to see something a little more mobile-device friendly. I often use my smartphone to look at the site, and it can be a little tricky looking up progeny, etc.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Tappiano
Grade II Winner

Postby Tappiano » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Pan Zareta wrote:
Tappiano wrote:I'd suggest removing all that "fluff" and just keep the site as what it is intended for, pedigrees or at the very least scrub keywords like euthanized, broke down, etc.

The original intent was to accurately and concisely present all relevant factual information about a horse including cause of death. While they're certainly no one's favorite terms, I don't see any reason or need to avoid "euthanized" or "broke down" if that's what actually happened, per official sources.

You proved my point down in Louis's blog thread...

Perhaps the answer should be to link to the RELIABLE source like equibase and let the reader, if they are so inclined click on it and read the chart for themselves. Leave out the "vanned off" "broke down" "fell" out of the "information".

Shergar
Starters Handicap

Postby Shergar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 pm

I want Bill from WA conduit mare profiles updated for this site. There have been a lot of mares added and some redesignated.

Until this feature is updated, I won't be renewing my paid subscription for the advanced features. Something I haven't done for at least a year.

Shergar

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 am

There are still a lot of dams in the pedigree which are 'Fillies' and very old. Why can't that be changed, it says when a mare has more than three offfspring, it is not to be changed, couldn' it be done automatically after a mare reaches the age of five years?
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 am

erins isle wrote:There are still a lot of dams in the pedigree which are 'Fillies' and very old. Why can't that be changed, it says when a mare has more than three offfspring, it is not to be changed, couldn' it be done automatically after a mare reaches the age of five years?

Great idea! (And applicable to colts/horses as well.) For right now, if you have a list of autolocked 'fillies' that need to be retagged as mares please feel free to send it to me via pm and I'll get it done.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 am

Thank you! I will make a list and PM you, in due course. Firstly I will collect a few.
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Keep them coming.

pfrsue wrote:I like the idea of some sort of indicator for deceased horses. I also sort of like the idea of having a different color for geldings, although there is a field that differentiates them from colts. It just takes a little more squinting. :)

We'll definitely be implementing a deceased flag or date of death value.

docjocoy wrote:I would like to see the gsv scores and the conduit mare profiles updated.

We're in the process of updating both of these! It might take a few days or weeks, but stay tuned.

K~2 wrote:I would love to see something a little more mobile-device friendly. I often use my smartphone to look at the site, and it can be a little tricky looking up progeny, etc.

We're going to aim for mobile-friendliness. It's pretty difficult to fit everything inside a mobile screen for many of the reports (imagine a 9-gen pedigree inside a 2.5" screen), but we'll try the best we can to make everything look nice for all media.

Shergar wrote:I want Bill from WA conduit mare profiles updated for this site. There have been a lot of mares added and some redesignated.

Until this feature is updated, I won't be renewing my paid subscription for the advanced features. Something I haven't done for at least a year.

Shergar

I mentioned this earlier, but we've been in contact with Bill and we'll start updating the values as soon as we get that info. Stay tuned.

erins isle wrote:There are still a lot of dams in the pedigree which are 'Fillies' and very old. Why can't that be changed, it says when a mare has more than three offfspring, it is not to be changed, couldn' it be done automatically after a mare reaches the age of five years?

Good idea. Seems very reasonable to me. We'll look into that option.

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

How about an easier way to research broodmare sires on this site? I would love to be able to generate a list of offspring by a sire's daughters. For example, I have a mare by Woodman. I would like to see what his other daughters have produced. Especially to zero in on sires that are creating good crosses with Woodman daughters.

Is that feature already on here and I'm just missing it?

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Firebrand wrote:How about an easier way to research broodmare sires on this site? I would love to be able to generate a list of offspring by a sire's daughters. For example, I have a mare by Woodman. I would like to see what his other daughters have produced. Especially to zero in on sires that are creating good crosses with Woodman daughters.

Is that feature already on here and I'm just missing it?

Someone from the forums should correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we have this feature. I'll look into the feasibility of including a report like this in the future.

Firebrand
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Firebrand » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Lizard wrote:...I'll look into the feasibility of including a report like this in the future.

Thanks! That would be great!

Certain
Weanling

X-Factor Update Needed!

Postby Certain » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I am a paying member and come to this site daily to look for this feature. Your database is in need of major updating. Simply put all BLUE LINE mares sons will express the gene. If he sires any daughters they will at least be red line carriers of the gene depending on her dam. She may not express the gene in herself but could pass the gene on to any of her offspring. This where it becomes tricky for daughters becasue they have two XX chromosomes. Here is the easy one. If the dam is a blue line and bred to a X-Factor sire and has a daughter she is a blue line. Example is Somethingroyal a blue line mare. ALL her sons will be X-Factor no matter what. She passed one of her X chromosomes a LARGE HEART to them. Here is a hard example of the red line gene passing down many female lines 4 generations before it is expressed in a son Stalwart got his from Blue Larkspur. ALL of Stalwarts daughters are at least a red line. Best example why your databse needs a major update is MS SHAM a direct daughter of SHAM a X-Factor stallion that started the search for the gene. All of SHAM"S daughters are at least a red line. I realize this update may take weeks or even months here is where it becomes finically important. Marianna Hann's has spent 20 years on the X-Factor with her new book to be released on March 1st "Solving the Mystery of Secretariat's Heart, The X Factor" by Marianna Hann. This will be the 40 year anniversary of his Triple Crown and alot of news will be coming out. People might want to look at the site once again for the X-Factor.
Certain by Out of Place out of Kristie's World Champion - Multiple Graded Stakes Winner !
1999 Arkansas Derby Winner
Future sucess is CERTAIN

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:58 pm

The strength of faith of her followers is appreciated but it must be understood that, while Ms. Haun's hypothesis that heart size is primarily controlled by a co-dominant gene on the X chromosome was plausible enough 15 years ago, subsequent mapping and analyses of the equine genome have not only failed to substantiate it but contradict it. In fact, some of the team that mapped the equine genome are on public record to the effect that there is no such gene on the X.

If the site owners intend to continue offering the X-Factor display option to database subscribers I agree that it should be updated but I also think the FAQ should be emended to reflect that Haun's hypothesis is unsubstantiated and contradicted.

Certain
Weanling

X-Factor DB with Heartscore.

Postby Certain » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:58 am

So if the X-Factor is not factual then why in th last 15 years Keenalnd started making all horses not only get X-Rays, Scoped, and now have a Heartscore to enter the sale ring? What helped Marianna therory was when they tested ECG most of the daughters had there sire's heartscore. When they look at the sons tested most did not. The only thing they had to go on was pedigree of the TB. They have tested thousands of TB with ECG's now still today some have large hearts and some do not. Breeders want to breed a winner to make the stallion look good. Some people believe that the heartscore (large heart) makes up 25% of the race horse. For those that do how do you find the large heart to breed for it. X-Factor is one way that helps find the large heart size.
Certain by Out of Place out of Kristie's World Champion - Multiple Graded Stakes Winner !

1999 Arkansas Derby Winner

Future sucess is CERTAIN