Regumate

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Regumate

Postby Jean » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:49 am

If a mare is on Regumate when is the optimal time to take her off before foaling?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Regumate is generally extraneous and unnecessary after 100 days in foal. The placenta takes over and produces plenty of progesterone. People DO tend to leave mares on for another 6 months, which to me is an unbelievable waste of money and time. However, no matter when you stop, there is evidence that you should "wean" the mare, ie go to 50% dosage for a bit.. see this article
http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaepres ... Daels3.pdf
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:45 pm

we have a mare that raced until she was age 11 and then retired. We took her out of retirement a couple of years ago and she aborthed at 9 months. in 2011

Our Vet said old maidens were hard to get in foal and hard keep in-foal and recommended we keep her on Regumate until 30 days prior to her due date. We took her off Regumate last week.

Legitimada checked in-foal to Prospect pay on March 7th 2012

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Re: Regumate

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

Jean wrote:If a mare is on Regumate when is the optimal time to take her off before foaling?

If we have a problem mare on regumate we discontinue two weeks prior to 340 days gestation.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Postby RandomThoughts » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:46 pm

I only breed every other year and I've never had a problem without Regumate.
90% of the time my mares conceive on one cover and I've never had a barren mare.
I know that everyone in Kentucky soaks the mares in it, but when you breed every year I think it overstresses the mare and by the time you take into account all the slips and aborts you don't get more than 5-6 foals every ten years anyway.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

You definitely need Regumate for older maidens and you definitely need it to short cycle a mare.

griff

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 am

Regumate is not a silver bullet. The reason, I think, that so many boarding farms use it - well it is twofold: (1) they can bill the mare owner a LOT for it and (2) if the mare loses the foal and was not on it they do not look like they were doing "everything".

Regumate is simply synthetic progesterone. It is typically ONLY needed for the first 90 days or so when the progesterone to maintain the pregnancy is being secreted by the corpus luteum (some mares just don't have sufficient progesterone at this point). Once the placenta takes over, Regumate just making expensive urine. The only way to KNOW is to run blood in the first couple of weeks after conception to see what the mare's progesterone level is. You only "definitely" need it for a mare whose progesterone level, at about 25 days or so, is not sufficient to maintain the pregnancy.

Regumate is messy and difficult; it is administered orally, daily. Similar results can be achieved using synthetic progesterone suspended in oil, administered in a weekly injection. But it is pennies a shot, instead of hundreds of dollars a month, and I guess doesn't have the "cachet" that having one's mare on Regumate brings - kind of like owning Chanel sunglasses or something.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 am

I don't like chrome and flash but I put my 13 YO maiden on Regumate because she aborted her first foal and our Vet, who seems to know what he is doing, most of the time, recommended it. She delevered a very nice coal black colt , will turn grey, on 02/12.

And it was pennies a dose; well less than a dollar a dose and well worth it.

griff

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 pm

congratulations on the new foal Griff! post a picture or two.