Advice for a better site

Specific input regarding the pedigree side of the site- generating reports, compiling data, etc.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Lucy

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 am

Certain wrote:So if the X-Factor is not factual then why in th last 15 years Keenalnd started making all horses not only get X-Rays, Scoped, and now have a Heartscore to enter the sale ring? What helped Marianna therory was when they tested ECG most of the daughters had there sire's heartscore. When they look at the sons tested most did not. The only thing they had to go on was pedigree of the TB. They have tested thousands of TB with ECG's now still today some have large hearts and some do not. Breeders want to breed a winner to make the stallion look good. Some people believe that the heartscore (large heart) makes up 25% of the race horse. For those that do how do you find the large heart to breed for it. X-Factor is one way that helps find the large heart size.

It's Haun's hypothesis about how heart size is transmitted that's disproven. No one's claiming that cardiovascular capacity is anything other than highly useful information for making buying and breeding decisions. However, the major providers of CV evaluations for TBs entering the auction ring are using different methodology than Haun's to qualify and quantify more specific and useful benchmarks when generating heart scores. They've reported no findings that indicate heart size inheritance is under any control other than autosomal (non x-linked).

Fireslam
Allowance Winner

Re: X-Factor DB with Heartscore.

Postby Fireslam » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am

Certain wrote:So if the X-Factor is not factual then why in th last 15 years Keenalnd started making all horses not only get X-Rays, Scoped, and now have a Heartscore to enter the sale ring? What helped Marianna therory was when they tested ECG most of the daughters had there sire's heartscore. When they look at the sons tested most did not. The only thing they had to go on was pedigree of the TB. They have tested thousands of TB with ECG's now still today some have large hearts and some do not. Breeders want to breed a winner to make the stallion look good. Some people believe that the heartscore (large heart) makes up 25% of the race horse. For those that do how do you find the large heart to breed for it. X-Factor is one way that helps find the large heart size.

Did you just make that up? Ive been selling at Keeneland for longer than 15 years and have yet to waste my money on a heartscore, nor have I ever been asked to do one. The X-factor has been debunked by several well noted people.

Certain
Weanling

Should the X-Factor be removed?

Postby Certain » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Fireslam No I did not make that up. I was told by a cosigner of 2 year olds in training that they require that and have for about 15 years. Maybe the cosigner was trying to get more money out of my pocket to put into his pocket. If it's not then I withdraw that comment only stating what I have been told by some being a cosigner. Maybe I have been taken for a ride.
Certain by Out of Place out of Kristie's World Champion - Multiple Graded Stakes Winner !
1999 Arkansas Derby Winner
Future sucess is CERTAIN

Certain
Weanling

Reports drop down Stallions!

Postby Certain » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

When was the last time that was updated? How can you update the info of the stallion secton ? I bought a stallion to stand stud in Arkansas because he won the premier race at Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs. He is the only Arkansas Derby winner standing stud in Arkansas. He was at Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs before being auctioned off then to TX for a few years. I bought him and brought him back to stand stud at Arkansas Premier Racing and Traing Stable in Lonoke, AR. This part of the site needs to be looked at as a paying member. There is NO way to update that part of the site. Stallion owners and managers would like be able to update that info on the drop down reports.
Certain by Out of Place out of Kristie's World Champion - Multiple Graded Stakes Winner !

Future sucess is CERTAIN

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 am

You don't need to be a stallion owner or manager, everyone has access to the edit key function.. just go in and make the changes yourself.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 am

Jane wrote:You don't need to be a stallion owner or manager, everyone has access to the edit key function.. just go in and make the changes yourself.

For some reason, the stallion reports, unlike the rest of the database,are not able to be edited by users. I would love to know who to contact in order to change information.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Certain
Weanling

Stallion Report drop down !

Postby Certain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 am

K~2 I Agree with you. I have tried to update the stallion directory database. It will not let users adjust or change the info. I for one have tried to change Certain by Out of Place. He use to stand at Lake Hamilton. He was sold at auction and moved to TX for 4 years. I own him now and brought him back to Arkansas where he won the Arkansas Derby. I own Arkansas Premier Racing and Training Center where I stand him. That is in Lonoke AR not Hot Springs where Lake Hamilton Equine Stud. I have tried multiple times to edit the info. If someone would look at this problem in the stallion report drop down database would be great. Thanks

Future sucess is CERTAIN

Lizard
Site Admin

Re: Stallion Report drop down !

Postby Lizard » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Certain wrote:K~2 I Agree with you. I have tried to update the stallion directory database. It will not let users adjust or change the info. I for one have tried to change Certain by Out of Place. He use to stand at Lake Hamilton. He was sold at auction and moved to TX for 4 years. I own him now and brought him back to Arkansas where he won the Arkansas Derby. I own Arkansas Premier Racing and Training Center where I stand him. That is in Lonoke AR not Hot Springs where Lake Hamilton Equine Stud. I have tried multiple times to edit the info. If someone would look at this problem in the stallion report drop down database would be great. Thanks

For some reason or another, the stallion database has been out of commission since 2005. I came into the picture a few years later, so I'm not entirely sure why this is the case. I was under the assumption that this feature was rarely used prior to being shut down.

If this is a feature people found useful and would like to use again, we can certainly look into adding it back to the site when we launch the new design. I'll definitely look into this and talk to our team about it.

Certain
Weanling

Stallion database

Postby Certain » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Lizard here is where it helps. It helps in the smaller markets outside of KY. In Arkansas there are only about 50 breeding stallions to bred to. I am sure this is the case for other states. I am sure your not going to get the big name farms to list there stallions in KY but someone might for them. If the site does re open the stallion database make it state specific to find the stallion. Not just type in a stallion name. Its such a big draw now the daily racing form has a sction for stallions now and the bloodhorse does to. The largest stallion database site was the Thoroughbred Times but now they backrupt opens the door now.

Future sucess is CERTAIN

Lizard
Site Admin

Postby Lizard » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the info, it sounds like it can be pretty helpful. I'll discuss this with the other developers and hopefully get it re-integrated into our site in the near future.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 pm

I would like to suggest the following two ideas which I think may greatly help reduce the overload in time when someone is visiting the site:

01. That a sire's progeny be automatically organized based on earnings rather than alphabetical order. Sometimes with certain top-notch prolific sires, having to request progeny "earnings" after clicking "alphabetical" order becomes a patience exercise.

02. That equines having no progeny be identified with a special color in the first letter of their names (or other distinction). This would avoid losing time requesting their non-existing progeny, which delays the site in general.

artistinwax
Newborn

Online Pedigrees

Postby artistinwax » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:48 pm

I am new to this site so I apologize in advance for being, maybe, in the wrong place.

I research Pedigrees on this database and have been surprised and unhappy that the Pedigrees have been reduced to 4 generations rather than 5. I will always now have to reintroduce the 5th generation by hand and won't be able to see it in one "picture" as before. You have eliminated so much already accumulated information.

Please change it back.
Visit my website to see my work. I'm crazy about all horses! and all other animals!

Lizard
Site Admin

Re: Online Pedigrees

Postby Lizard » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm

artistinwax wrote:I am new to this site so I apologize in advance for being, maybe, in the wrong place.

I research Pedigrees on this database and have been surprised and unhappy that the Pedigrees have been reduced to 4 generations rather than 5. I will always now have to reintroduce the 5th generation by hand and won't be able to see it in one "picture" as before. You have eliminated so much already accumulated information.

Please change it back.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Users who don't have a subscription should see 5 generation pedigrees by default. As far as I know, we haven't changed this in a long time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Artist check your settings via the drop down boxes just under the header.

sarahsull21
Weanling

Gender Field

Postby sarahsull21 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

I have been advised by forum administrators to suggest that the gender field is modified to automatically change from Colt to Horse or Filly to Mare status at the appropriate age. Another suggestion was to change the designations to C/H, C/G, M/F. Either way, the problem with updating the correct reference would be accomplished. I try to change the ones that I can, but since many of the current stallions have their pedigrees locked very early in their racing careers, those changes can't be made.

I hope you will consider these suggestions.

Thanks
"And he's all that."