Which Gray Parent?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Which Gray Parent?

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:44 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/evasive+dream

I wonder which side Evasive Dream gets his gray color from. The one through Drone/Mahmoud or the one through Icecapade to Native Dancer?

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Also; family 13c same as Mr. P and Seattle Slew

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 pm

ALL of Very Happy Dream's offspring are gray so IMO it's virtually 99% certain she was homozygous gray and thus was carrying both lines. Now which one her daughter got... anyone's guess.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 pm

This topic and the following one are closely related.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... c&start=15

I once consulted to a well reknown authority if a grey sire, like say, Native Dancer (whose grey progeny tended to sport very dark manes and tails along with normal graying-out bodies), as opposed to Mahmoud, (whose gray progeny tended to sport many tiny reddish spots through all its bodies) was suffient proof to believe that the homozygous grey, DARN THAT ALARM, (who was a song of Jig Time [Native Dancer] out of Extra Alarm [from a Mahmoud strain] could be judged as having inherited his grey design from Native Dancer solo, rather than from Mahmoud ----due to the fact that he looked more like a Native Dancer rather than a Mahmoud!

This authority expressed to me that in spite the fact that, phenotypically speaking, DARN THAT ALARM looked more like a Native Dancer, there was no scientific evidence, nor certainty to assert that his grey stamp was coming from Native Dancer. Not even with the giveaway fact that Darn THAT ALARM was a homozygous grey!

In other words there is no certainty at all in trying to pinpoint one of the two immediate grey parents.

I asked that question due to the interest of keeping and preserving records on the grey tail-male-lineage of Native Dancer, even if that meant doing a cross with another non-Native Dancer gray.

Jorge

Postby Jorge » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Jorge wrote:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... c&start=15

In addition to the aforementioned topic, another closely
related thread is the following one:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

Another reference has been added above!

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 am

Accphotography, thanks. Jorge, thankyou for the links, interesting reading.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Jorge, how are you? Fine I hope. Better watch out, if you for some reason post something thats similiar you will get yelled at.
I, for one, enjoy your knowledge and to date I don't think there has not been a thing you have not known about! What a great guy you are.

ACC, hows your horses doing? I remember when the baby was born, I'd love to see some photos of the baby now and the grey ones. I LOVE the running horse that shows up when you post. So gorgeous.

Jorge, still trying to find that grey colt I saw a photo of that was so dappled he looked like a leopard appy. When I do I will send it to you for your commentary.

Thanks so much! :D

Also, this may not be the proper FORUM THREAD to put this on, but due to the fact I LOST half of what I had saved on my older computer, I'm looking for someone named Jeff (?) I think? that had a black mare in Texas I want to say, and you were willing to lease her. If he is still on this forum, please contact me.
THANK YOU
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 pm

They're doing great! Thanks for asking!

The running horse is my mare, dam to the bub, now a 2yo!!

This is probably the most recent body shot I have of her:

Mare is same ol' same fuzzy, fat self.

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi ACC!

Oh my! What a gorgeous filly you have! For some reason I thought she was grey, and then I saw that great photo of a palomino, which is my favorite color! Lucky you!

Hope the weather has not been too bad for you, looks like you got some snow also, we are in snow up to my hips in some places, but luckily it will be getting warmer and most will melt.

I keep telling myself "its good for the farmers, they've had a drought" plus hopefully it will keep the hay prices down some this year for all of us.

Thank you for the lovely photo! And my congratulations!

TD

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you. We're pretty happy with her so far!
Most of the time she's just BROWN. :lol:

This was her last summer and I'm hoping she'll return to this color:

She was even already a bit sunbleached there as the color under her mane was darker still.

The weather here has been nothing but rain, mud, rain, mud, rain, mud. But then again, that's fairly normal for us in the winter. I agree, hopefully it will keep crop and hay prices down! Temperature wise it hasn't been that bad either. I'm ready for it to be over though. Ready for sleek coats and significantly less mud!!

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:50 am

ACC~ OH MY GOD is she gorgeous!!! For some reason I thought you had a dun, but my goodness you hit the jackpot with that one.

What color was her sire? That's always interesting to see what you get from breeding different colors.

Is she pure TB or another breed? In any case, she has got that 'look at me' attitude from what I can see on the photo!

Yes, indeed, the springtime in the horse world is called roll in the mud season, and come back looking like mud on legs! We blanket ours, in different types as the season warms up, but it helps, esp. one mare we have that just wants to break out in rain rot upon the first rain of the season. Ugh. Then when we try to put the stuff on her for it and groom her out, she acts like she doesn't have the time for us unless we give her treats, the spoiled mare! We give the baby carrots so she thinks she's getting alot but really just getting enough so she does not get too used to it.

Congratulations again! She is so incredibly beautiful! :D

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks!!

Her dam is QH/Paint and her sire is TB. Guaranteed Gold!

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Acc, well you sure got Guaranteed Gold! Lucky you! That filly is gorgeous!

Love and appreciate your photos, what plans do you have for her in the future?
:D

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 pm

She's going to be my riding horse in whatever I decide to do. I'm hoping to show in some hunter classes with her once we're both ready, but that's a few years off for both of us.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:34 am

Took a photo of this horse yesterday, got a better look standing on his concrete slab, he's a giant; big boned big everything, a good 17 hands, big like a Meadowlake horse, and he's got the broadest butt I've ever seen on a thoroughbred.

Love his gray color.