GALATIA 09 f by Corinthian, 1/2 to 2 SWs, MNR $2k OBO

Questions and postings about buying and selling Thoroughbreds.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jessi P, madelyn

Jessi P

GALATIA 09 f by Corinthian, 1/2 to 2 SWs, MNR $2k OBO

Postby Jessi P » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 am

Galatia is a lovely 2009 chestnut filly by Corinthian (by Pulpit) with a touch of bling. Sound and ready for a new career as a sport horse or broodmare prospect. Galatia is a half sister to 2 stakes winners - CAVE'S VALLEY (Stephen Got Even) 11 wins, 2 stakes wins, $367k and GETAWAY GUY (Yankee Gentleman) 4 wins in 8 starts $144k.

Catalog page - from Jan 2013 - http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Jan13/pdfs/768.pdf

Pic/info on her stakes placed dam Kamaal - http://www.clarklandfarm.info/Kamaal.html

Approx 16.2 and correct, Galatia was a $120k yearling. She does not crib, weave or stall walk. Uncomplicated to ride and good to work around. Loads and hauls. Stands for vet and blacksmith. Kind, intelligent girl with a lot of potential. Located at Mountaineer Park, zip 26050, approx 45 min W of Pittsburgh Pa. Pictures to come soon.

Priced at $2k OBO.

For more information contact Jessi (BEFORE 8pm EST) by cell (330) 383-1281 or by email [email protected] .
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am

Sale pending!
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 am

Jessi - Had to tie my will power down to keep from immediately contacting you when this mare's availability was first posted by you - she comes from a good/solid family of racehorses - true/useful runners/earners/black type citizens - good bloodlines, productive SP mares, and some Graded black type 'class' not too far back to try and rejuvenate in future breedings + she's young. ANYWAY......I thought her purchaser might enjoy this snippet from Bloodhorse.com re: her younger half/sibling: trained by Pletcher and raced twice @ 2YO in Saratoga during 2012 - finishing 2nd in one race. Has yet to race in 2013 but may be something to look forward to in terms of Galatia's future - either on the track as a 3YO perhaps "adding to the
catalog page" or - if she was injured, as another broodmare from this family.

Excepted from Bloodhorse.com - ...."Citizen Emma (Proud Citizen - Kamaal by Irgun) and Broken Spell (Broken Vow - Rich Find by Exploit) finished 2nd and 5th in a mile and a sixteenth turf race at Saratoga on July 23. Citizen Emma was favored on July 23, and closed late. She has no other starts. She was purchased for $72,000 as a yearling, and is out of turf stakes-placed Kamaal, who was a winner at 2. Kamaal is the dam of three winners, including stakes winners Cave's Valley and Getaway Guy. All three were winners at 2, and one was a winner on the turf. Kamaal is a full sister to one winner, and a half sister to 5 winners including stakes winner Olguina....."

DOES anyone on this Board know of Citizen Emma's current status?

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info Jellac. :) I love her female family, and Galatia herself is a really nice looking gal.

Galatia has been sold back to her breeder, Clarkland Farms of Ky, where she will keep her dam Kamaal company in the broodmare band.
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Love to see that!

[I was showing extraordinary willpower, too, Jellac.]

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Glad to see her breeders getting her back into their program - says volumns as to her 'worth'. Says a lot to me as to her potential value as a breeding mare. No one is more familiar with her dam's, her siblings' and her own unique aspects from birth thru growth to sale than her breeders. Galatia and Kamal represents a very solid female running and production family. Looking at Galatia's data (without a photo) the only immediate faults I could imagine were the possibility of physical faults or injuries that prevented her from racing? (and might prevent her from successfully carrying a foal(?) but Jessi has never been one to mislead by omission or misrepresent - "oversell" a horse's situation - so I threw that one out). The lack of having raced/earings and the lack of female family "top class" (i.e. "Graded/Group" placings 'up close') in the records of her dam/dam's progeny and 2nd dam/dam's progeny were another pause (but then there is that kind of production under the third dam and this family has produced so many good black type winners overall I tended to discount that concern and Kamal's offspring attract the attention of good trainers/owners at sales. Ergo - my interest in Citizen Emma's current status - she was (is) being trained by Pletcher at 2YO and her owners have another horse that believe may be on this year's Derby Trail - and she started at "Saratoga" - so no slouches there). To my mind there is a genuine difference in the liklihood of "class" emerging from a seldom raced horse who's 1/2 sibling recently debuted with 2nd in MSP at Saratoga and one who's sibling has a similar record at lesser thought of tracks, even when the finish stats/earnings are similar. I pushed most of these doubts back because of this mare being offered through Jessi and I think Galatia's breeders stepping in and taking this opportunity to get her back into their program answers those doubts a good deal. I wish Galatia, the Clarkson Farms and future owners/trainers Good Luck with this one and her offspring! They are off to a good start I think.

It was also fun looking up "Galatia" to understand her naming and learning some about the early history of Christianity's survival and growth in the middle Eastern part of the world at that time (~44BC and forwards). From Preach to Pulpit to Muliply to Corinthian, who then produces "Galatia" from Kamal. I can't wait to 'hear' what comes next!?!

(P/S - If I haven't said it before I will do so now: You do a world of good work in the regular course of your busy and hardworking life at Mountaineer Jessi, for the horses and the sport. The horses are lucky to have you and I have always found you to be open, honest of your opinion and perspective and very businesslike - in short a pleasure to deal with in thoroughbred racing/breeding and training - one of the 'good' people in this sport! That is saying a lot since we've never met and our dealings have been entirely via PMs, e-mail and phone...in other words built entirely upon trust.)

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Thank you for the kind words. :) My goal is always to get horses into the best situation after the racetrack. I have been so busy this semester that I haven't advertised many, but I am almost done! I graduate in May and "excited" doesn't even begin to describe it. :)

There was no photo posted of Galatia simply because I hadn't had time to get one when I posted the ad. Her breeder Mr Mitchell (who I contacted by email when I posted Galatia for sale) didn't need to see a picture - he knew her better than we did. :)

I did find a pic of her as a yearling - http://www.clarklandfarm.info/September ... _Sale.html

She brought $120K as a yearling so she must have been physically attractive, correct with no issues. I believe Mr Mitchell said that her dam is currently in foal to Summer Bird, and had an Eskendereya yearling? Not sure about that, so don't quote me. I asked him if he knew who they would be breeding Galatia to in 2013 but they had not yet decided.

What was funny - when he called me Mr Mitchell told me "I don't know how to pronounce her name." I got a chuckle out of that one. :D

We were extremely pleased to get her back home with her breeder. Galatia is retiring from her brief racing career sound, healthy and she is in a good place.
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:18 pm

A couple years ago I stumbled onto an approved warmblood mare who went cheap at an auction - no real issues, just a middle-aged mare, being sold as only broodmare sound because she had a couple big blemishes (although she was riding-sound enough to cart a bunch of kids over fences before the sale, so I knew she had the temperament I wanted).

We brought her home & I was excited to make her my next riding horse.

Imagine my surprise when I got a phone call out of the blue from the woman who had owned her mother, planned the breeding & foaled her out as a baby. She tracked me down & said that getting that mare back was on her bucket list. I had no intention of EVER selling that mare, but who can deny a breeder who wants to care for one of their own?

I told her to make me an offer (just to make sure she wasn't going to say, "Well, you should give her to me.") I knew I would take ANY reasonable offer.

She is back with her breeder now. And this mare's story brought back that good memory.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 am

KB What a great story! I know exactly what you mean - who would want to come between getting a horse back to it's breeder? To me that was the best part of this entire transaction - from getting stuck with a horse for the training bill we ended up getting her back to her birthplace with her breeders and her dam. :D

So, did you get another horse to be your riding horse?
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]