General on-topic discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 am

Black Caviar inducted into Australian Racing Hall Of Fame

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6583042916

Joining the Victorian-bred and trained champion in the 2013 induction were three racehorses, three associates, two jockeys and a trainer, thus swelling the Hall of Fame’s membership to 142.

In the highlight of the night, inaugural member Carbine, who carried a record 66kg to victory in the 1890 Melbourne Cup, was bestowed racing’s highest honour when elevated to Legend status alongside Phar Lap, Makybe Diva, Bart Cummings, Arthur ‘Scobie’ Breasley and Tommy Smith.

The equines entering the Hall of Fame with Black Caviar were Australia’s most famous jumper Crisp, 1951 Melbourne Cup winner Delta and Star Kingdom who sired the first five Golden Slipper winners.

‘Hughie’ Cairns, who in 1926 became the first rider to win the Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup in the one year, and Victoria’s champion apprentice of the late 1950’s, Geoff Lane, were the jockeys inducted.

Bruce McLachlan, a winner of 16 Brisbane training premierships, was the lone trainer inducted, while the three associates were renowned Sydney farrier Albert O’Cass OAM, leading South Australian bloodstock agent and administrator David Coles AM, and the inventor of the totalisator, Sir George Julius. - Racing Victoria

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 am

Black Caviar's half-brother, All Too Hard, does it again with a brilliant win in today's Group 1 Futurity Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield

He may follow his sister's lead and head to Royal Ascot in June.

...and the door is still open for Black Caviar to again race at Royal Ascot. As Frankel has been chosen for her first mating and will be serving mares to Southern Hemisphere time, the King's Stand or Diamond Jubilee is still a strong possibility for her swan song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ7qSZ1D3-0

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks for all your kind words and time about Caviar but how can you not be also moved by the great story of "Miracles of Life" from Adelaide ridden by a bug girl aged 29 winning the Million Dollar Blue Diamond Stakes. You cannot deny that racing brings the most unbelievable stories to life. Best wishes ,Wilf.

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 am

It sure is a racing fairy tale Wilf.

And amazingly it is one of many also connecting - the race, the owner, the breeder, the trainer, the sire(s) and the stud.

Simply extraordinary.

A kaleidoscope of racing dreams all coming together as one.

This insight into how it is all connected is well worth a read -

http://www.arrowfield.com.au/article/ne ... sets-story

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 am

The Champion mare is back and under lights this Friday night at Moonee Valley as she lines up for possibly win No.24.

It shapes as her last Victorian start and most likely the third last start of her career - TJ Smith in Sydney (April), BTC Cup in Brisbane (May).

The only change might be a final swansong in the King's Stand Stakes or Diamond Jubilee at Royal Ascot (June) before retiring to meet Frankel in the breeding barn.

Moonee Valley is virtually sold out (25,000) for Black Caviar's Victorian farewell.

Here is the field -

Fri 22 Mar 13 Moonee Valley Race 4 CLEAR Hacer Group William Reid Stakes(GROUP 1) 1200m Prize Money $400,000

1 GOOD BA BA(5) Dwayne Dunn 58.5

2 LUCKYGRAY(1) Shaun O'Donnell 58.5

3 SPIRIT OF BOOM(7) Ric McMahon 58.5

4 LINTON(3) Steven Arnold 58.5

5 FAWKNER(4) Craig Williams 58.5

6 BLACK CAVIAR(6) Luke Nolen 56.5

7 KARUTA QUEEN(2) Tommy Berry 56.5

Latest from trackwork this morning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbAaTKXvV4

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Thanks Arga , can't wait.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Looking like an all nighter - Aussie, Dubai...
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm

In a new innovation by the Moonee Valley Racing Club - an idea they are also considering for the WS Cox Plate - Black Caviar's race will be the last race on the card.

It will be run at 9.55pm AEST.

I hope she has a good sleep the night before!

(In winning, Black Caviar will equal the great Kingston Town with 14 Group 1 victories)

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Many tracks over here race in the evening with the last race going off at around 10.30 or later.

arganaut2
Starters Handicap

BC

Postby arganaut2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:15 am

24 from 24.

erins isle
Grade III Winner

Postby erins isle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 am

What a horse this is, just saw at Racebets that she won, no video yet, but this will certainly come today.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The more I get to know people, the more I love animals.

dublino
Grade I Winner

Postby dublino » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 am

Edited by Moderator

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 am

soooooo easy. She will retire, but really, I wonder how long she could go on doing this?

What would be cool is if, a la Dubai, there was some big money tossed in to make her last race, on her home field, against an international quality field including some serious shippers. Not to take anything away from those she beat.... Would you ship in to take a crack at being the one to beat her?

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 am

Hi Arganaut,
This has been a very informative thread...thank you for making us feel like we're there with her through your updates and critique. Would you know if she was ever invited to Dubai to race? She is a great racemare, but I have to give kudo's to her trainer, who knows her inside and out. He's handled her perfectly in this most recent comeback and has her going as good, if not better then ever. He knew what her problem's were and he also knew bringing her back (after her last injury) would not threaten her in any way under his watchful eye. I'm sure her performance has silenced many of those who thought she did enough. Looks like she has a lot more to give and is enjoying every minute of it. The good news is, her trainer will protect her and pull the plug when he believes she's done. Great mare and a great trainer. TJ

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:52 am

TJ wrote:Hi Arganaut,
This has been a very informative thread...thank you for making us feel like we're there with her through your updates and critique. Would you know if she was ever invited to Dubai to race? She is a great racemare, but I have to give kudo's to her trainer, who knows her inside and out. He's handled her perfectly in this most recent comeback and has her going as good, if not better then ever. He knew what her problem's were and he also knew bringing her back (after her last injury) would not threaten her in any way under his watchful eye. I'm sure her performance has silenced many of those who thought she did enough. Looks like she has a lot more to give and is enjoying every minute of it. The good news is, her trainer will protect her and pull the plug when he believes she's done. Great mare and a great trainer. TJ

Well said!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"