Was Byerly Turk carrying Akhal-Teke blood?

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Pan Zareta
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby Pan Zareta » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 am

angrovestud wrote:This artical is about the research done to prove that the Shetland pony was used in the foundation broodmares if Tbs very interesting.

The purpose of that study was to quantify the presence of the 'speed allele' in various horse breeds/types, not to prove anything about the Shetland pony. The Shetland was one of three old breeds indigenous to the British Isles that were sampled. Among those three, the allele was found at highest frequency in the Shetland but it occurs in all three breeds. As a group, their frequency of the speed allele was 32% v. 13% in Asian breeds, and 10% in breeds from the Middle East/North Africa, suggesting that the most likely original source for the allele in the TB population was native British stock, not 17th/18th cent. imports. Among modern derived (composite) breeds that were sampled the QH, not surprisingly, exhibits the highest incidence (90%) of the speed allele, v. 51% in the TB, 0% in the Standardbred.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Also the Shetland 300 years ago was different than the pony we know today. And US Shetlands are very different from the UK Shetlands.

More accurate way of thinking is that back down the family tree, there was a population of horses that split, some ended up (probably the taller ones) in the breeding population of the Running Horse, and others in the population that ended up going to the Shetland isles. Where they got shorter.

angrovestud
Allowance Winner

Postby angrovestud » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am

I didnt mean for it to sound like that what I mean is the research uncovered the genes of the Shetland and it seemed to have given the early runner the speed gene sorry I am badly dyslexic :)
A coloured leaving its mark
Angrove stud breeding your racing colours

I am dyslexic it can be funny!

Georgerz
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby Georgerz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am

Looks cremello to me.

color
Allowance Winner

Postby color » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:13 am

looks smoky cream to me
http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com