Well here is a stallion for the color breeders out there..

Talk about equine color, markings, genetics, etc. Post pictures of flashy Thoroughbreds!

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, Jorge, Sunday Silence

Derby Lyn
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Derby Lyn » Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

This thread was definitely NOT about Remarqz. It was about Air to Apache. Both throw nice foals regardless. Loving some of Remarqz babies this year.

MattieCat
Yearling

Postby MattieCat » Mon May 20, 2013 3:34 pm

Remarquez is a stunning boy. I appreciate everyone for their compliments. Not a fan of the sabinos, but they seem to be the only ones on the track aside from all the solid colored guys. The whites are more popular in color nowadays because people are getting them on the track. We'll see how Remarquez foals do in a couple years. I believe some of his flashy colts from last year is getting prepared for 2014 racing. Can't wait to see how they do!

Haven't seen much of Air to Apache's offspring, but I suspect the usual sabino markings; maybe a couple maximum sabinos? I haven't really researched the Apache lines too much. Sabinos tend to be a bit too inconsistent for me; you could get a sabino, but it could look like a normal horse. Frames usually have a greater chance at showing off that amazing chrome!

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Oh how I wish that were true. I have two "solid" frames. I know quite a few frame TB breeders who have at least a couple of solid frames a year. Granted when they do express, it's a stunning pattern and I much prefer it to the "sabino" (actually dominant white in Thoroughbreds).

Dominant white is indeed a bit unpredictable. Anything from completely solid to completely white (which I like less than solids LOL). It's often an all or nothing deal. On the bright side, recent research is greatly narrowing down some very important genetics involved with these dominant white TBs that will really, really help us understand how/why they produce the way they do and possibly even predict/control it to some extent. Can't wait for more.

As far as racing the coloreds, well, there just aren't many out there with racing pedigrees. Until one actually proves it CAN run (unlike some of these poor white guys) people aren't going to show much interest. There is still an old bias from yesteryear that the fast genes are tied to the solid genes and thus a colored horse will never run well (kinda like the myth that only the gray get of a heterozygous gray sire are the truly good ones). Some horse is going to have to come along and break those preconceptions. Sadly it's going to be really difficult to do when the race quality just doesn't exist in the lines yet and few race breeders are willing to 'take the chance' at this time. I'm not about to say that Remarquez could never produce a good runner, because I believe he could, he's just going to have to have a nice mare to do it I suspect and it's just so darned hard to get those mares even with the great stud fee. If you ever happen upon a really nicely bred mare with a decent record on her for a price you could afford that could go a long way towards helping him. Of course it would take around 5 years to really see the results of that. I actually think some of these colored stallions HAVE gotten some nice race mares a few times. The problem often ends up that the type of owner that breeds to a colored stallion (in general, not across the board obviously) generally doesn't have the funds necessary to make a serious go of it for racing that foal. The costs of getting a foal to the racetrack alone are huge, let alone putting it in a position that it could actually be successful and make a name (at a good track, with a good trainer, etc.). It's just a really tough and expensive business to break into. Believe me, I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone else, just giving my opinion as to why things are the way they are at this time. I'm really, really hoping someone can change these problems someday and I would love for your guy to be a part of it.

summerhorse
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby summerhorse » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm

The "sabinos" in TBs are (so far) Dominant Whites. But yes they have a wide range of expression! For frame well each foal has a 50/50 chance of getting it and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
Every mighty oak was once an acorn that stood its ground.

accphotography
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby accphotography » Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm

In addition to the "sometimes you get lucky and get the gene... but get unlucky and it's doesn't express visually".